• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#16 over #26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #16 over #26

I have just recently gotten my #16 and had a couple of questions about applying it. I am going to be doing a complete detail on my car this next week

-Wash
    -Clay
    -#83 if needed (i've got some swirls to get rid of)
    -2 coats of wax (I've found out from this site that two coats is much better)

My question is if 16 over 26 is going to be good combo? I've used #26 in the past and loved it, but heard so much about #16, that I had to try it out. Are they going to kinda cancel each other out, and should I just do two coats of the same (#26 or #16)?

Also curious if a coat of #21 inbetween #80 and the wax would help seal the paint after cleaning and polishing it, or if this will get negated when I put the wax on?
    Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Re: #16 over #26

Hmmm...
    Most people usually use one or the other - #16 or 26.

What color is your vehicle? Supposedly, #16 looks better on light colored cars while #26 looks better on dark colors. It's a matter of opinion.

I am planning on putting a coat of #16 on my gp white Porsche, so I'll tell you what the results turned out like.

Is this car a daily driver? If it is, then the #21 would probably be a good idea in between coats. Although it is always said to apply two coats, I usually go for three since my car is a daily driver and is always parked outside. I usually do two coats of GC and one coat of #21. If I were doing it, I would use #21, 26, then 16. You could switch the last two steps if you wanted depending on the car color.

#21 is a very good protectant and I use it as a top coat for protection. I would use #21 in this case because I don't want to mask the unique properties of the fine waxes.

All Meguiar's waxes are compatible with each other, so putting one wax on top of another will be fine.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

I use #16 over #26 on my truck... I use two coats of #26 then apply an additonal coat of #16. I can tell you the #16 bonds fine on top of the #26 because they give very different waterbeading characteristics... #16 gives tight water beading that lasts for months and months where as #26 gives bigger beads that lasts for 6-8 weeks. When I apply #16 on top of #26 I get 4-5 months of tight water beading, which tells me that the #16 is still there. Also, I find that I get the shimmer and liquid apperance of the #26 PLUS the depth of #16.

Some pictures of my 99 truck with 2x26 plus 16...

Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Which ever combo you decide to go with, make sure anytime you work with M16 you apply very thin coats. Practice first if you want to by applying a thin coat to just one panel. Then let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Get a feel for how it wipes off. If you apply a thin coat it will wipe off easay. If you apply a thick coat, and let it fully dry, it will break your arm trying to get it off and you will risk putting scratches into the paint if you're not carful with your wiping off technique.

Just for a test to see what we mean, apply a thick coat to just a small section, like about a foot squared and let it fully dry and then post back here what you find out.

M16 --> Thin coating --> From experience.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Just for a test to see what we mean, apply a thick coat to just a small section, like about a foot squared and let it fully dry and then post back here what you find out.
          You'll find a whole new meaning of putting "passion" behind your towel.
          "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Without overthinking this, I was under the impression that when layering 2 different LSP's, you want to put the most durable - read longest lasting - down first and the least durable on top. IF that's the case, wouldn't you want to put 16 down first, followed by 26, or doesn't this really matter?

Comment

#26 is a sealent with a small carnuba blend. #16 is a carnuba wax. I always follow the rule that if I am going to use a carnuba and a sealent, I put the sealent down first.

Like I said, I have gotten and easy 5 months of durablity out of it, so it seems to me that #16 has no problem layering out top of #26 and holds all of its durablity. Its like #16 seals in the #26, from my experince only.
              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the responses, I am looking forward to getting this all on my car, now i just have to find time between my job, new detailing business and gf in order to get it all done at once. I'll let you know what I think after I get it all done.
                Dynamic Detailing

Comment

Are you using the liquid version of M26 or the paste version?
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
                    #26 is a sealant with a small Carnauba blend.

#16 is a Carnauba wax.
                    Hi Todd,

Just to clarify, both of these waxes are what you would call blended waxes in that both of them are a blend of protection ingredients, and neither of them rely on only one type of ingredient for protection benefits.

Read the back labels on both the M26 and the M16 and it will state this. As far as how much Carnauba wax is in any of our products it kind of doesn't matter because the idea is to trust the our chemists know what they are doing and each wax has the right amount.

In the big picture and in the long run, it really comes down to trusting what's inside the bottle or can because of the name on the outside label.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I realized in my last post that I never really said what the process was that I was going to be using.
                      Wash
                      Clay
                      M83 by DA (if needed)
                      M80 by DA
                      M21 by DA
                      Liquid M26 by DA
                      M16 (probably by hand)

Hopefully it all works out

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
                      Are you using the liquid version of M26 or the paste version?
                      To your question mike, it is the liquid version of M26, does this make much difference to the process or final outcome?
                      Dynamic Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post
                        I realized in my last post that I never really said what the process was that I was going to be using.
                        Wash
                        Clay
                        M83 by DA (if needed)
                        M80 by DA
                        M21 by DA
                        Liquid M26 by DA
                        M16 (probably by hand)

Hopefully it all works out
                        This combination should give the best results for what you're trying to accomplish.

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post

To your question mike, it is the liquid version of M26, does this make much difference to the process or final outcome?
                        Just curious...

There's some characteristics about M16 that makes it unique and there's some characteristics about paste versus liquid that make application different. If you were to apply the liquid version of M26 over the M16 because it's a liquid in form this together with the agitation of however you apply it would act to loosen and re-liquify some of the M16 which would somewhat defeat what you're trying to do.

M16 because its a thick, hard wax, won't really tend to do the above. Thus my first comment to the process you outlined.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');