• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions??

I have a 1999 camaro ss....Long story short was getting the oil changed at the dealership and my car almost fell off the lift. Damaged my rocker panel, but they fixed it for no charge....Is it safe to clay, polish, & wax over the fresh painted area....The lower rocker panels were repainted last friday.

Question 2:

I also just repainted a 1994 honda accord lx, single stage paint. recommendations on what to use on this vechile?

Thanks, for any help....i will post some pics when i begin these projects.
    2006 Range Rover HSE - Lux pkg, Rear Ent pkg
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 - 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

Re: Two questions??

from what I learned, you have to wait 30-60 days after getting a paint job from a shop or dealer.

unless it comes from the factory where the paint is cured in the oven then you're okay.

in this case, yours is a repaint. i'd say you have to wait but could be wrong.

if i'm wrong i believe you might be able to use Final inspection but don't quote me on this.

you'll have to wait till guys with experience with this chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by savage99ss View Post
      I have a 1999 Camaro ss....Long story short was getting the oil changed at the dealership and my car almost fell off the lift. Damaged my rocker panel, but they fixed it for no charge....Is it safe to clay, polish, & wax over the fresh painted area....The lower rocker panels were repainted last Friday.
      Most paint manufacture recommend you wait at least 30 days before applying any product that will seal the surface, this is to allow a window of time for any solvents or other additives mixed into the paint to fully outgass.

In the Meguiar's line, because we manufacture products for use on car assembly lines and body shops, (places where fresh paint is sprayed onto cars), we offer a complete line of products that include products that are safe for fresh paint because they don't seal the surface.

All of our care washes are safe for fresh paint and so are all our pure polishes as well as our cleaner/polishes.

A lot of people do nothing for fresh paint, just wait for 30 days and then wax it, we find our more serious enthusiasts will apply a pure polish like Deep Crystal Polish or #7 Show Car Glaze or even our M80 Speed Glaze as it is unique in that it actually contains a protective polymer in it that is still safe for fresh paint.

See this article for more information.

Paint Needs to Breathe

Question 2:

I also just repainted a 1994 Honda accord lx, single stage paint. recommendations on what to use on this vehicle?

Thanks, for any help....i will post some pics when i begin these projects.
      All Meguiar's paint care products are safe for all types of paints, so you can use anything in our line on this single stage paint. Keep in mind that if this paint is still less than 30 days old, you should stick with products that are safe for fresh paint. (see above answer).

Questions
      1. How old is the paint now?
      2. Have you, or are you going to wet sand the fresh paint?
      3. Have you, or are you going to machine buff the fresh paint?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Questions
        1. How old is the paint now?
        2. Have you, or are you going to wet sand the fresh paint?
        3. Have you, or are you going to machine buff the fresh paint?

1. 28 days old
        2. No
        3. Debating on doing this, it was a very inexpensive car.
        1999 Camaro SS

Comment

1. 28 days old
          2. No
          3. Debating on doing this, it was a very inexpensive car.
          Since you're two days away from the average recommended 30 days, actually 1 day by the time you read this, then for the most part you're ready to go ahead and do whatever you want with the paint.

If you just want to wax it then go for it, if you want to do more finishing work then go for it, the 30 days is a window of time that is approximate. Being a single stage paint, if it were mine I'd opt for applying a pure polish and the sealing the paint with a quality wax.

If you feel the surface and feel any roughness at all, it could be dry spray or over spray that drifted back onto the car, if so then clay the paint and then polish and wax.

Another option would be to use M80 Speed Glaze with a G100/PC and then follow with wax.

At the 30 day mark it's pretty much up to you and how much you want to do.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help......Im not a rookie to detailing a car but i still have room to grow and learn everything you pros know......Do you work for meguiars, Mike? Im 15mins away from meguiars distribution center in portland, TN.
            1999 Camaro SS

Comment

Do you work for Meguiar's, Mike?

I'm 15mins away from Meguiar's distribution center in Portland, TN.
              My full time job is Administrating this forum, that includes a lot of different tasks but primarily answering questions and checking other's answers to questions to make sure anyone following the information presented will be successful when they work on their car in their garage. This plus being the primary instructor for our Saturday classesand Thursday night classes. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work. On the side we make it a practice to walk the talk and detail cars... something about taking a diamond in the rough and turning it into a glistening gemstone...

Did this 1948 Bentley last weekend, it has an older re-paint using single-stage lacquer paint that's thin in a number of places. For this reason and because it has a lot of raised or hard body lines, (lots of older cars are like this while the body lines on many new cars look more like ice cream that has begun to melt, that is everything is smoothed over), every step was performed by hand.

Before

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

While some paint manufacturers say to wait 30 days to wax a re-spray, others recommend longer (some a lot longer).

Unless you know the specific paint system used and the paint manufacturer's recommended wait time (not the painter's suggestion) I think it's wise to wait the longest time. DuPont, for example, recommends 120 days.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post

Unless you know the specific paint system used and the paint manufacturer's recommended wait time (not the painter's suggestion) I think it's wise to wait the longest time. DuPont, for example, recommends 120 days.

PC.
                  Sage advice Paul

"Always follow the paint manufactures recommendation as they know their products best"

Can you compile a list of recommended waiting times for each paint manufacture and each paint line offered by the manufacture? No hurry, the next day or two would be good.

Thanks Paul, you're the best!
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

How did you get the swirls out of that paint Mike?
                    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                      How did you get the swirls out of that paint Mike?
                      By hand using Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner followed by the Deep Crystal System and topped with M16. I have a thread on the process that I'll try to put back up after I finish adding all the photos.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

...Can you compile a list of recommended waiting times for each paint manufacture and each paint line offered by the manufacture? ...
                        It's been something I've been meaning to get to. I guess it's about time I got off my duff and just did it.

... No hurry, the next day or two would be good....

It's hard to say how long it will take, part of it needs to be a letter/email writing campaign. Not everyone makes it easy to find the info online. (DuPont makes it easy by printing it right on their instruction sheets, which are available online and in the paint shops.)

One of the guys on Autopia did it for a few major paint companies. His post isn't hard to find with a little searching.

PC.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');