• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear taillight scratches need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear taillight scratches need help

So, with a used car comes some work.... the next thing I want to tackle is this tail light damage... I didn't see it in my pre-delivery walk around so, it's on me. Is there hope? I have put some quick wax on but, I knew that wouldn't help this!
    Do I need to tape off, wet sand, then polish with #10?
    Thanks for the help.
    Rob A.
    '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
    '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Re: Rear taillight scratches need help

Don't go to wet sanding first, you can take another approach, less aggressive, and see how it ends up.
    You can try out PlastX with a terry cloth towel and lots of passion behind the towel, a couple of applications may be needed.

Comment

If The Plastx Dosen't Do The Trick I Have Had Real Good Success With 2000 And Buff With Solo Cut & Polish Lightly.
      When I Detail I Always Buff Lights And Glass. When You Buff Glass It Works Like Rain X The Water Just Sheets Off. Be Careful With Headlights As They Have A Clear Coating On Them

Comment

I am all for the least aggressive approach first! I don't have a DA/Rotary so, I will try PlastX and report back.

Thanks you two!
        Rob A.
        '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

If You Have A Electric Drill There Are Some 3 Inch Wool And Foam Pads That Work Great 3m Makes Them

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX88 View Post
            I am all for the least aggressive approach first! I don't have a DA/Rotary so, I will try PlastX and report back.

Thanks you two!
            If need be, try multiple applications well worked in. Also dont hesitate to try a terry towel as it will be a bit more aggressive than the foam applicator.

Comment

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. The Plast-x with the terry towel and a couple of passes was all it needed.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'm glad I didn't ditch all my terry towels when I recently picked up some microfibers.
                Good to know about the 3M pads. It'll give me an excuse to replace my Ryobi cordless drill that went up in smoke last month after 5 years of service.
                Rob A.
                '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

plastx should work, you just have to put some passion behind it
                  2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

I've had great results with PlastX on tail lights, third break lights and headlight.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');