• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need cleaning help on Matte Black Ducati!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need cleaning help on Matte Black Ducati!

Hi guys, i have a ducati multistrada 620 Dark edition and the bike is in matte black paint. I went to my local auto center and bought the following and would like to know if i can use it on my bike:

DEEP CRYSTAL® CAR WASH
    NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 PASTE
    HOT RIMS® ALL WHEEL CLEANER (my rims are black too, powder coated)

I don't think the car wash is the issue for me here, my concern is really the Tech Wax, i don't know if it will make my bike Glossy after i wax it. Any ideas?

thanks

Re: Need cleaning help on Matte Black Ducati!

Its possible the wax would add a lot of gloss.

Can always do a little test spot, I dont think anyone has ever posted a pic of what wax on a matte paint looks like.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

all wheel is not powdercoat safe.
      However, Hot Rims Aluminum is
      Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
      baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

You don't want to clean, polish or wax the flat black paint, it's not going to make it smooth and glossy and more than likely it either won't do anything or may even stain it.

Check this thread for your flat black paint,

How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic

Let me check on the All Wheel Cleaner for powder coated wheels.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

great! I will get the Gold Class Trim Detailer and will hold off on the rims until you find out if its safe for powder coated rims. thanks!

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          You don't want to clean, polish or wax the flat black paint, it's not going to make it smooth and glossy and more than likely it either won't do anything or may even stain it.

Check this thread for your flat black paint,

Let me check on the All Wheel Cleaner for powder coated wheels.

thanks.

so should i just skip the washing step with the Deep Crystal for my bike and go straight to the Gold Class Trim Detailer you recommended? And yes please check on the All wheels cleaner for me. I was reading on the Aluminum cleaner saying that it works on powder coated surfaces, should i get that instead? thanks

Comment

***Update***

Heard back from our resident wheel expert Tom MacDonald and he said don't use Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner on powder coated rims or motorcycle wheels.

Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner should not be used on powder coated wheels and should not be used on motorcycle wheels.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

When Mike says "clean" i think he is referring to paint cleaners like
              ultimate compound, scratchx, and swirlx.
              Washing and cleaning are two different steps. It might be a bad idea to skip the wash to apply the trim detailer.
              Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
              baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Anything you put on that flat black color, will make it have more shine. If you want to keep it flat, do not use any wax, cleaners, or compounds on it. For protection on flat black, use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. The use of Hydrophobic Polymer Technology in this product will actually repel water, and give you a decent amount of protection without making the flack paint have more shine to it. Of course it will not last as long as a dedicated wax, so using it often is key.

Nick
                2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

thanks for your help guys. i ended up keeping all the products and bought the ones you guys have recommended. I am using the NXT and car wash and all wheels for my car and using the Gold Class Trim Detailer and UQD for my bike! thanks

Comment

It says on the bottle of the gold class trim detailer not to use it on painted surfaces.

can you still you it on the tank or other painted parts?

Comment

on my buddies titanium colored zx10r, i used D151 on the tank and it brought out the gloss and made it shinier. He liked it, not sure if I would like that on a matte black though
                      2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                      2005 Honda CRF250R
                      2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Originally posted by fbristow View Post
                        It says on the bottle of the gold class trim detailer not to use it on painted surfaces.

can you still you it on the tank or other painted parts?
                        That's correct.

If you read through this thread which is linked to above,

It explains your options and the reality of flat black surfaces.

But you are correct, as stated in the above article, Trim Detailer is not for use on paint. Contact the manufacture and check with them as to what they recommend you use to clean it and what you use to maintain it's appearance, and/or restore improve the appearance over time.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');