• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me please! - Swirls on my black RSX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please! - Swirls on my black RSX!

So I have swirls on my black rsx.
    I've been reading on forums on how to get rid of swirls, listening to other people's opinions etc...

Anyways, what I would like to know is what's the best hand buffed swirl remover product? I don't have a orbital buffer and I'm not sure if I want to buy one. So is there a product, done by hand, that can get rid of swirls as well as a buffer. I bought #9 swirl remover (friend told me) but it didn't work. Also somebody told me I shouldn't use it because it has fillers in it and that's not good. So I go and get #83 and read that it's to be only used by a buffer. Unless I can use it by hand. So yah, what's a good product that I could use by hand? Also what kind of sealer/glaze should I use afterwards? #7?

Umm is there a big supplier of Meguiar's in West Coast BC? All I know is Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Lordco. Each don't carry much. Lordco probably has the most.

Thanks in advance.

How to remove swirls by hand

Read Mike's article, it will explain all.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hello everyone & welcome ng,

As far as what you should use after goes, next time I'll be going with #7 then #21 and finally #16.............I think this will be a superb combination.

Bryan

Comment

Thanks. Quite a helpful link.

I guess best results are from machine.

I was going to get Scratch X, but my friend told me not to use it and get #9. Oh well. Gotta try it out.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ng-rsx
          Thanks. Quite a helpful link.

I guess best results are from machine.

I was going to get Scratch X, but my friend told me not to use it and get #9. Oh well. Gotta try it out.

Thanks!
          Hey,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Meg's #9 Swirl Remover is a very mild cleaner, that tends to work best for swirl removal with a rotary buffer. By hand, ScratchX is a much better choice!! Here is a link to the proper application of ScratchX:

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Please keep us posted!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: Help me please!

I've been reading on forums on how to get rid of swirls, listening to other people's opinions etc...
            Interesting...

This is what discussion forums are evolving into...

Whose opinions are right...

There are plenty of opinions out there, (that's for sure), and plenty of keyboard commandos and self-appointed gurus waxing-on at length on this or that and one thing or another...

Luckily time has a way of sorting everything out...

If you want to remove swirls or scratches by hand out of your car's clear coat finish then read the links supplied above and this thread I've included below and you will have a pretty good handle on what to do...

What it Means to Remove a Scratch
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That's for sure. I should've just came here in the first place. Oh well.

I park my car outside, is there some other protectant I should use to keep my paint shiny?

Comment

Knowing Vancouver's rainy winter....I would suggest either 2 coats of: NXT Tech Wax or #21 Synthetic Sealant or #20 Polymer Sealant. Any of these will do an awesome job!

Tim

Comment

How about #26? That's what I have. I heard it's pretty good.

Just have to make sure once more. I was talking to a friend about detailing cars. He was saying Scratch X is stronger than Swirl Remover #9 and I could ruin my paint using scratch x... Is there any possible way I would ruin my paint? From the links it doesn't seem like there would be but I need to make sure before I go about on it.

My baby's been calling to me for the past week, but I want to put in a good day and restore it to all it's beauty.

Comment

Just have to make sure once more. I was talking to a friend about detailing cars. He was saying Scratch X is stronger than Swirl Remover #9 and I could ruin my paint using scratch x...

Is there any possible way I would ruin my paint? From the links it doesn't seem like there would be but I need to make sure before I go about on it.
                    ScratchX is completely safe for use by hand on both clear coat finishes and single stage paints.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

I really think your friend needs to visit MOL to correct this misinformation.

ScratchX will remove light swirls and marring, after several applications. It is not to be confused with heavy duty compounds like #85 Diamond Cut that is designed to be used for removing wet sanding marks etc with a rotary buffer. Here is a thread that may help:

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Unless your car's paint is extremely thin, using ScratchX will be just fine!

As for the #26, it is a blended wax. So while it provides a deep wet shine, generally a polymer or synthetic sealant will offer more durability. NXT Tech Wax is Meguiar's best protecting wax. You could also top NXT or #20 with your #26. I have for years and years used Meguiar's #20 and topped it with #26!

Tim

Comment

sorry, but what's #20? Not familiar with the numbers and can't seem to find it on the site.

So this is my plan. using Scratch X (should I clay first? Car is only about 6 weeks old). Then to use DC#2? the polish one. then use #26 and using the last tip, topping off with nxt. Sound good? Hopefully it'll shine.

Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Hey,

Yes, you should clay the car first to remove any rail dust or other bonded contaminents.

If your car is only 6 weeks old, you may not need ScratchX except in areas where there are swirls or scratches. In other words, only do the sections of the car with ScratchX that need it. Knowing your car is new, you could use DC#1 (a very mild cleaner; the rest of the paint should be cleaned with DC#1), then DC#2 to add richness and top with NXT etc....

Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant M-2016

Finally, it should be NXT topped with #26 rather than the other way around.

Please post some pics when done!

Tim

Comment

How about #26? That's what I have. I heard it's pretty good.

Just have to make sure once more. I was talking to a friend about detailing cars. He was saying Scratch X is stronger than Swirl Remover #9 and I could ruin my paint using scratch x... Is there any possible way I would ruin my paint? From the links it doesn't seem like there would be but I need to make sure before I go about on it.

My baby's been calling to me for the past week, but I want to put in a good day and restore it to all it's beauty.
                            People that want results know to use Meguiars & MEGUIARS ONLY!

Comment

Meguiar's Only,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!!

Your question or comment was not posted, only the quote.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');