• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I like it !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I like it !!

I got it! I heard about this machine here on MOL. First day I used a PC, about 1995 or 96 I think, I remember thinking that it sure rattled my bones. I have had employees in the past that really didn’t like how it made your hand feel after prolong use.

I always thought there had to be a better made machine out there and this one may be it.

I purchased this one from Griots Garage for just under $150.00. The ordering was effortless and I got the machine in five days.

The first thing I noticed is that it is a little heavier than the PC. I would guess it weighs about ¼ to 1/3 more than the PC.

The thickness of the body is about the same as the PC but the length is a little longer.

You can see the handle arrangement is similar to a Makita buffer.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

This polisher comes with a large Velcro backing plate that is almost as wide as Meguiars 6inch pads. This backing grabs on and doesn’t like to let go. This could lead to a problem of tearing the Velcro pad off the foam pad if your not very careful removing it.

While using the Griots polisher with Meguiars speed glaze I noticed that the oscillating action is much tighter than the PC. It reminded me of the action the Mirka and other finish sanders have.

Even though it weighs a bit more than the PC it is can easily be used with one hand. It is much smoother than the PC as well.

The sensation you feel with this machine is more like a dual action “jidder bug” sander you would find in a body shop. It is a more of a smooth vibration than a rattle like the PC.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I don’t like the position of the power switch. It is right where one would hold it if one were using only one hand. I bumped it off a few times. You can see in the pics that the switch is right in the way.

This machine is powerful. I weigh a petite 280 and I could not bog the machine down while leaning into it while polishing the hood of my ol’Ford truck

Comment

Over all I think is a well made machine. It is smooth and powerful.

I don’t like the switch location and the Velcro backing is going to tear up some of my older pads I am sure. I can see people removing the handle and using it without it.

I only fooled around with it for about 45 minutes but next week I will use it in my Auto detail business which is very hard on equipment and test this polisher out REEEEEAL GOOD report back with my feeling on it.

Comment

very interesting... Thanks for the post! Does the cooling fan do any thing?
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

There is a really light stream of air coming out from the fan exhaust. I mean really really light. I doubt it does much but it can't hurt.

Comment

Can't wait to see the actual results from your testing. I was considering selling my cyclo to pick one of these up as I find myself spending more money on Cyclo pads than I'd like.
              I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

I have had cyclos and I think this ould be an excellent replacment for one.

Remember I just fooled around with it awhile. The sun was going down and I couldn't check my results.

I will see how my cars look in the moring.

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                  I have had cyclos and I think this ould be an excellent replacment for one.

Remember I just fooled around with it awhile. The sun was going down and I couldn't check my results.

I will see how my cars look in the moring.
                  I really like the cyclo actually, I'm on my second one(got a killer deal) and sold my PC and now only use the rotary and the cyclo. However, I find that while cheap, the cyclo pads don't last long at all for me and I'm spending much more money than I would if I just stuck with 6.5" pads, as they last a long time(most of them anyways) and can be used on both machines. I guess your results will dictate whether I buy another PC or a Griot's polisher to replace my cyclo.
                  I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Joe, this new machine still reminds me of the DW443 from DeWalt.
                    Does your new machine feel like it has more torque?

Will it run faster than the Porter Cable? The stats show that it does, but I wondered if that was true when it was loaded.
                    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

very very interesting my PC doesn't seem to rattle as much as what you say but after using it for a while it does give you hands a tingly feeling ... can't wait to hear back!

hmm just looking at Griots Garage i think i'll pick it up they seem like honest people with a "life time return policy"
                      opms are a little too fast for my liking though
                      Last edited by sneek; Feb 3, 2006, 08:53 PM.
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord
                      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Joe, is the backing plate removable and if so, is it the same thread as a PC?

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
                          I find that while cheap, the cyclo pads don't last long at all for me and I'm spending much more money than I would if I just stuck with 6.5" pads, as they last a long time(most of them anyways) and can be used on both machines.

What kind of pads are you using? Do you just have bad luck with pads?
                          Quadruple Honda Owner
                          Black cars are easy!

Comment

The backing looks like it is held on by 4 screws. In this pic you can see the four smaller holes near the center. Those are the ones with the screws.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoiledMan
                              What kind of pads are you using? Do you just have bad luck with pads?
                              I've used Lake Country and Cyclo brand pads. I don't like the LC pads as they're too thick, but the Cyclo ones only last 2-3 polishing sessions.
                              I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');