• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grit-Guard floating in the buckets

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grit-Guard floating in the buckets

I received my Grit-Guards about 1 week ago, and I just used them this past weekend. The problem is that the Grit-Guards are floating to the top of the bucket, and not staying down (in both buckets). I figured it was the water level (filled to the top), so I then removed some of the water, and the same thing happens.

Has anyone experienced this?
    Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Re: Grit-Guard floating in the buckets

Originally posted by Magic
    I received my Grit-Guards about 1 week ago, and I just used them this past weekend. The problem is that the Grit-Guards are floating to the top of the bucket, and not staying down (in both buckets). I figured it was the water level (filled to the top), so I then removed some of the water, and the same thing happens.

Has anyone experienced this?
    Mine will float when I am filling up the bucket, but if i push them down, they usually stay down. Does the Grit Guard sit totally on the bottom of the bucket? Is the bottom of the bucket wider than the Grit Guard? Those are two things that could maybe be why they are floating.
    Trust me...Your patience will be rewarded...

Comment

Yeah, mine float when I fill the bucket, but one push down or a little shake to get the air bubbles off does the trick.

Or perhaps yours isnt sitting on the bottom of the bucket? Maybe catching something on the bottom so it wont sit flat?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Heree's a LOOOOONG shot....could there be "stuff" in the water that would make it float ?!?!?!

Alex
        Mandarina Racing

Comment

....could there be "stuff" in the water that would make it float
          Nah, I emptied/refilled the buckets twice.

Or perhaps yours isnt sitting on the bottom of the bucket? Maybe catching something on the bottom so it wont sit flat?
          They do sit flat, there is nothing at the bottom of the bucket.

Is the bottom of the bucket wider than the Grit Guard
          The buckets are wider that the Grit Guards. Maybe 1/2 inch all the way around. I didn't think they had to go in snug to the sides.

I'm not sure at this point then
          Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

This is one thing that impressed me the most, is that the Grit Guard is the one I have found that stays on the bottom of the bucket(over Black Magic's version)!

No matter what I do the GG just sinks to the bottom as I would expect it to. As for, might be something in the water... I use Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and NXT Generation Car Wash. I guess it could be something in the water maybe its something from the water treatment plant will a water softener(doesn't it add salt) change the water enough? Just pulling thought out of the air.

Here is a "fix" you could drill a couple small holes in the bottom portion(the part that looks like a "t") and place some small bolts through to prevent any floaters.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Magic
              Nah, I emptied/refilled the buckets twice.
              The buckets are wider that the Grit Guards. Maybe 1/2 inch all the way around. I didn't think they had to go in snug to the sides.
              Mine fits the same way in the bucket.
              Brandon

Comment

LOL, just stick a second Wash Mitt on the Grit Guard and it will sink to the bottom. Mine floats occasionally too. If it floats up, it's still doing its job of preventing the bottom debris from getting in the wash mit as long as you're not stirring up the water. =)
                Richard Lin
                ShowCarDetailing
                5548 E. La Palma Ave
                Anaheim, CA 92807
                toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

i have one black magic bucket and one grit guard and the black magic one never floats but i hate the awkward style of the bucket. The grit-guard some times does float but i doesn't matter because all you have to do it push it down(with you sponge or mitt), i think that all the dirt sinks to the bottom anyways so the top of the bucket is always clean
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord
                  2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                    i have one black magic bucket and one grit guard and the black magic one never floats but i hate the awkward style of the bucket. The grit-guard some times does float but i doesn't matter because all you have to do it push it down(with you sponge or mitt), i think that all the dirt sinks to the bottom anyways so the top of the bucket is always clean
                    Go figure! I guess either way long as they do their job.

I wasn't sold on the Black Magic bucket either, needs more depth and the shape makes it very hard to fill in a laundry sink(best place to get warm water), the traditional bucket works better in this case.
                    Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by gb387

I wasn't sold on the Black Magic bucket either, needs more depth and the shape makes it very hard to fill in a laundry sink(best place to get warm water), the traditional bucket works better in this case.
                      I have four of them and they do float from time to time. Usually only at the start of a wash. They generally stay down after I sink the mit the first time and usually stay down. These things are plastic and platic can float. It does not cause me any greif so I don't sweat it. I suspect their bouyancy can be affected by any soap/water solution. There also may be the little bubbles trapped here and there that make them a tad more bouyant as well.

If mine start floating to the top fast enough to fly out of the bucket. I'll worry.
                      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
                        I have four of them and they do float from time to time. Usually only at the start of a wash. They generally stay down after I sink the mit the first time and usually stay down. These things are plastic and platic can float. It does not cause me any greif so I don't sweat it. I suspect their bouyancy can be affected by any soap/water solution. There also may be the little bubbles trapped here and there that make them a tad more bouyant as well.

If mine start floating to the top fast enough to fly out of the bucket. I'll worry.
                        Adding an afterthought here. If this does pose to be a seious concern for you. What about drilling a small hole on the bottom of one the the four vertical portions and possibly just putting a stainless steell nut/bolt on it. That should add just enough weight to keep it down
                        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387

ya the bucket shape ans style is terrable but in canada we don't have much choice.. the black magic one actually cost a lot more than the grit guard
                          Patrick Yu
                          2003 Honda Accord
                          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I have the same problem. I have ziptied a couple of stainless washers to the bottom. Works better, but not all the time. I'll add a couple more weights this spring.
                            1999 Ford Contour SVT
                            Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
                            1966/2760

Comment

Same problem here, I fixt it temporarily in this way:

Last edited by DetailManiac; Mar 31, 2006, 07:38 AM.
                              I just love detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');