• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Black Vette (56K RUN!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Black Vette (56K RUN!)

I was supposed to detail this Vette at the dealership upon arrival, however it came early. The owner picked it up, had the dealership wash and wax it (DISO) and took it home. 250 miles later, I showed up at the door.

The owner and I met, because I was arguing with a gentleman on Corvetteforum.com, he was claiming that swirl marks are just part of paint, and cannot be removed. The owner (not the person I was arguing with) and I PMed back and forth, struck a deal and I headed out from Tampa.

I pulled the car out of her garage at about 7:30 and washed it. The story unfolds form here.

Process

Wash with G12664 NXT Generation™ Car Wash using a X3010 Ultra Plush Wash Mitt. I used two 5 gallon buckets armed with grit guards.

After rinsing I sprayed the lower areas and front with D13001 Body Solvent to rid the soften the carcasses of LoveBugs that scattered the front. These where wiped away with a X2010 Supreme Shine Microfiber I then rinised the lower areas off.

The rims where sprayed with G9524 Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner, which was aggiated with a paintbrush and X1160 Ultra-Safe Wheel Spoke Brush and rinised clean.

The entire car was again rinsed using the sheeting method, then blotted dry using a X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel.

Her she is, just cleaned and rinsed

If you look to the left of the reflection you can pick out some light marring that occured from the love bugs sitting there for a couple of days

Here is a picture of the driver door, if you look where the seam is that the door meets the trim you can pick out a light defect and some DISO, both where removed in the paint cleaning process...

The next step is to clay the car even though its new. I used clay from the G1116 Quik Clay Detailing System. However in the picture you can also see C2000 Mild Detailing Clay, which is slightly more agressive. I used D15501 Last Touch Spray Detailer as lubricanet, cut 1:1 with distilled watet.

Being so new, the clay couldn't find any contaminents to pick up, however I finished claying the entire Vette to be safe.

Last edited by TH0001; May 31, 2006, 05:03 PM.
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

It was then time to tape off the plastic body work in preparation to compound

To buff the paint I decided to use M8032 Speed Glaze. I buffed the paint using the G100 Electric Dual Action Polish armed with a W8006 Polishing Pad

After removing the compound, I decided to apply M07 Show Car Glaze via a Hi-Tech Applicator Pad.

Convinced the paint looked its best I applied two coats of M21 Synthetic Sealent to the Corvette to lock in the beutiful shine created by the M07 Show Car Glaze. The M21 Synthetic Sealent was applied using a X3080 Microfiber Even Coat Applicator . I applied the sealent, let it sit for 30 minutes then wiped it off. Since Mequiars' recommends allowing the sealent setup for a while before adding another coat I figured it was time to attack the engine and interior and other misc. areas.

First up was to polish the quad exhaust tips using G13005 NXT All Metal Polysh. The picture came out poor but the exhaust looks great...

The interior was next and being only driven a couple times, was in great shape minus some dirt on the door kick panels and the carpet. I used my trusty shop vac as well as a combination of 7:1 D10101 All Purpose Cleaner , 17001 Hyper-Dressing cut 3:1 for a satin finish, and D18001 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.

Even though this is a new car, look at the dirt and grime that came off just the passenger seat of the Corvette (right side of towel)...

After some cleaning and awaiting some touch ups

Freshling treated leather seats (notice the small area on the headrest yet to be treated, showing a before and after in effect, by mistake)

Comment

The engine area was wiped down with a damp chamios then treated to 17001 Hyper-Dressing . Not a dramatic difference, but the difference is in the details

Before....

After....

After the second coat of M21 Synthetic Sealent had been removed, I decided ona little M26 High-Tech Yellow Wax to try to add alittle deeper luster because if its high carnuba content.

The tires where dressed with G13115 NXT Insane Tire Spray

The windows got wiped down using 13324 NXT Glass Cleaner and used X2060 Duo-Fiber Glass Towel .

After 10 long hours, I wheeled in the sun to see if infact, there where swirls (as the person I argued against orginally said there would be since they where inherent to dark paint).
      Last edited by TH0001; May 31, 2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Looking low, long, and dark (kinda sexy IMO)...

More C6 sexiness...

I'm not seeing swirls in those reflections

The view most will get of this girl...

Still searching for swirl marks...

Nice reflection, IMO...

Even nicer...

The hood is up, alittle dusty, and staring right back at me...

Something about seeing a American Beauty from this angle, with its fender archs pulled over the hood makes me wanna sing the Star Spangled Banner and snap a salute....

Not swirls?

The end....

Comment

great job on the vette
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Outstanding!

-Bob
            NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

WOW she looks great. MY sister is looking to get a c6 vert as soon as she sells her black 02 zo6.

Great job. well done.

By the way im on 56k and works great for me.
              http://tinypic.com/mh58d5.jpg

Comment

Nice,great work
                Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

great job, nice write up. dont see many black vettes...wish you did though. nothing better than a black car....when they're clean

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
                    After 10 long hours, I wheeled in the sun to see if infact, there where swirls (as the person I argued against orginally said there would be since they where inherent to dark paint).
                    Makes me wonder what the guys Vette looks like. Why not send him these pics to prove your point. You might be able to convert him to the Meguiars paint care process!
                    Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

No I don't wanna rub it in LOL, I did enough of that by posting all those little jabs on this thread. I don't necessarily want to sell him on the Meg's process anyways, but I wouldn't mind selling him on my ability as pro.

That said, this car was a steep learning curve. When you are restoring a persons finish/car, they are always satisfied with the results, hell they are blown away. But on a new car, I feel the risk is much higher (because they are expecting perfection, and rightfully so). So I idenfitied some areas that will help me grow as a detailer, and stopped slight things I could do differently (such as checking the bottom splitter for compound residue) which I haven't done before, even on a Ferrari F360. I usually am so anal about turning out perfect paint, that my focus can slip on other areas.

However, I stayed and made sure the owner was 100 percent happy with the hard earned cash he was laying out, and in the end, isn't it what it is about?

Comment

Great job!

However, I'd remove my rings and any other jewelery before detail a car, especially someone else's. Same goes for belts with metal buckles. You're inviting scratches if you slip.

Comment

Agreed, however the wedding ring never comes off, just gets some blue tape around it.

Comment

Great write up.

Was she happy?

Comment

Yes, but it was a he (the car is a she)! Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');