• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Oxidation from Carbon Fiber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Oxidation from Carbon Fiber

So I get home from Florida after a year of being away from my Car and find my hood is oxidized. Is there any thing I can do to remove this? If not me, how bout a professional? The rest of the car is in great shape, just the CF hood is messed up... If a detailer can't get it done, would it be possible to remove the clear coat with a stripper and re-clear it? I know of a place in Houston that said they could do it but I'm in Florida and am wondering if it was possible or they were blowing smoke up me arse....

When you say oxidized are you refering to water spots?

The hood should be protected with a clear coat so its just a matter of using the right product to buff it out. Claying the hood first might get rid of most of the deposits etched in the clear.

Comment

Hi ropie,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

From my experience, there are two types of carbon fiber hoods and other components.

Clear coated
      Non-clear coated.

* The clear coated components offer U.V. protection.
      * The non-clear coated components offer no U.V. protection.

I believe the reason for this is because for whatever the reason, they are unable to put U.V. protection ingredients into polyester and epoxy resins?

At least that's what I've heard.

Can you find out what type of finish you have?

Also, if it were mine, I would do a simple test with any Meguiar's paint cleaner, cleaner/polish, or even a cleaner/wax like ColorX and see if a couple of well applied application don't remove it?

ScratchX would be an easy product to test on it, and so would Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');