• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bought a polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a polisher

I know is cheap, but will it do the Job??
    http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/newlogo.jpg

It will do the job.

Are you familar with a rotary buffer?
    What do you intend to use the polisher for?

Eric
    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Re: bought a polisher

Originally posted by ilanpro
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46507

I know is cheap, but will it do the Job??
      It should for a while at least...

Under constant, heavy use like a full-time detailer or someone who works in a body shop, it might give up sooner than more expensive models. (You get what you pay for). For the weekend-warrior it might hold up however.

Here's an idea...

People are always asking, "How do I clean my foam pads", (in reference to the foam pads they are using on their G-100 (PC). One of the best ways to clean a foam pad is to clean it using a rotary buffer. There are two ways, one is to hold a terry cloth towel into the foam while bringing up the RPMs and absorbing excess liquid out, the other is to hold a nylon brush against the face of the foam pad while bringing up the RPMs, this will remove excess product also.

So instead of thinking of an inexpensive rotary buffer as a rotary buffer, think of it as an inexpensive Pad Cleaning Tool.

Just an idea....

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: bought a polisher

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        So instead of thinking of an inexpensive rotary buffer as a rotary buffer, think of it as an inexpensive Pad Cleaning Tool.
        Mike,

Why to think outside the box.

Eric
        Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Mike, you're always surprising us!

ilanpro, throw away the backing plate and pad comes with it! Otherwise, it is a surprisingly good tool.

I actually just bought a second one (the first is 18 months old!) I leave one with with a big honkin wool cutting pad, and one with a smaller backing plate for 6" foam pads. Saves time by not changing backing plates...

My Fein rotary is the 'goto' tool, however.
          Last edited by Jimmy Buffit; Oct 19, 2004, 02:07 AM.
          If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

I want it for pesonal use, What kind of pads should I use to get rid of swirls??
            http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/newlogo.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ilanpro
              I want it for personal use, What kind of pads should I use to get rid of swirls??
              Depends on how deep the swirls are. Swirls are simply scratches in the paint, so when you think of removing swirls, think of removing scratches and which products and pad you use to remove swirls depends on how deep the swirls are.

For light swirls, you can use #9 with our foam polishing pads. For medium swirls you can use our #83 with our foam polishing pads, for heavy swirls, you may have to use our #84 Compound Power Cleaner with a foam cutting pad and the re-buff the area with less aggressive cleaner/polishes.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It's on sale in Harbor Freight stores for $30. I don't know if HF.com includes shipping in the $25 price but if they do not, for $30 it should be just as cheap (if not cheaper) with shipping.

I don't know if they will price match to the online price in stores because, well, I asked for it for x-mas from my mom.

Comment

Re: Re: bought a polisher

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Here's an idea...

People are always asking, "How do I clean my foam pads", (in reference to the foam pads they are using on their G-100 (PC). One of the best ways to clean a foam pad is to clean it using a rotary buffer. There are two ways, one is to hold a terry cloth towel into the foam while bringing up the RPMs and absorbing excess liquid out, the other is to hold a nylon brush against the face of the foam pad while bringing up the RPMs, this will remove excess product also.

So instead of thinking of an inexpensive rotary buffer as a rotary
                  buffer, think of it as an inexpensive Pad Cleaning Tool.

Just an idea....

I tried that with the PC and it did not work so well. It seems like the PC stops spinning when I hold a nylon brush against it. Scrubbing with the PC turned off seems to work just as well.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I have that exact same harbor freight buffer/polisher bought it back in june used it 3 or 4 times and now it doesn't work. Don't know what happend but when you are using it it wont stay at one speed, it keeps speeding up and slowing down I checked the brushes and they were fine. But anyway, It lasted me a few months and the way I figure it's only $25 bucks if you have to buy a new one, but I have a porter cable coming for christmas. Just my .02
                    Nothing but the best, That's why I use Meguiar's.
                    1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Dark Baltic Blue
                    4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');