• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screaming Banana...RIP?? Now w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming Banana...RIP?? Now w/pics

Well, I started off to work this morning at 6AM but didn't make it. The roads were mostly snow covered and more of the white stuff was coming down, but not too hard. In respect for the condintions, I was going a steady 50 or so (65 zone). The first hint I got was when the rear end twitched to the right. I countered and got it back. Suddenly it went right again, but this time there was no catching it. I did a few full counter clockwise 360's before it straightened out and suddenly snapped into a few clockwise 360's.

I pushed the clutch in as soon as it started spinning on me, and when I knew I wasn't going to be able to catch it again, I turned the wheels straight. The car partially straightened out, but now I was going backwards/sideways with the right rear corner in the lead. The wheels were still pointed straight when the whole car veered left (toward the right berm of the road if I had been going forward). I knew I was going to hit, and that there was nothing I was going to be able to do to prevent it.

Using my couch potato training, I relaxed as best I could and let my head relax against the head rest...BOOM... guardrail...

The next thing I know, I'm staring at my dome light...the driver's seat had collapsed and was in a full recline position. The car had stalled and all the dash lights were on, but Amy Lee was still coming out of the speakers (My Immortal). A quick inventory assured me that all my pieces-parts were where they were supposed to be and that there were no new holes anywhere (as I type, my back is a bit stiff, but nothing too bad...I've had more than a few pulled back muscles).

When I got up to look around, I saw that some nice lady had stopped and was calling the local PD. My first words to her were: "WOW, What a ride!" She let me borrow her cell to call my dad (no sense in freaking out the wife at 6:30 AM). I thanked her again, and assured her I was OK, and that she didn't have to stay.

That's when I really got to look at the car. The right taillight looks ok...the rest of it... Well, the right reflector on the truck lid is gone...so is the trunklid for that matter, and the rear spoiler, the rear bumper cover, the left taillight and reflector and the guardrail cut into the left quarter panel about 2 1/2 feet (about where the base of the rear window is). I have no idea how bad it is inside the trunk, or how bad the underbody faired, I should be able to get to it sometime this week and post pics.

I tried to restart the car for some heat, but all it would do is turn over, not even a hint of ignition. After a while the Highway Patrol showed and called for a wrecker (I didn't get cited for failure to control, so that's a good thing). My dad came and we made arraingements for my bodyshop to pick up the car from the tow company. They're supposed to let me know when it's at their shop.

I did a check on KBB.com and the rough value on my car (with 67,000 miles) is $5,300. I'm not sure what I still owe on the car, and I'm kind of afraid that since a run in with a raccoon caused nearly $1,000 in damage that this will total the car and leave me still owing on it.

I'll update you guys when I can
    Last edited by Don; Dec 21, 2004, 03:12 PM.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Hey man...sorry about the car...glad ur not hurt.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that... Real bummer, hope everything works out for you.

I know that spinning on the interstate all to well and I care not to experience it again.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear about your accident! I am glad to hear that you are OK!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

It's me again...other than a bit of soreness to my neck didn't relax quite enough before the crash I guess...more couch potato training needed I feel OK (my ego on the other hand is in traction in the ICU ward). I won't get to see my car for a few days at least, but I did find out that I owe nearly $8K still (looks like my next car will be a used Hyundai Accent, or maybe a Metro )
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"

Comment

wow, sorry to hear that. I hope you do ok with the insurance.... It's such a scam!
            '97 Pearl black Custom Miata
            '06 Scion xB
            '92 Yamaha Seca II Piped & Jetted

Comment

Hi Don,

I'm sorry to hear of your accident and glad to hear your safe. Best wishes for a full physical recovery. Hang in there.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're ok though...

Cheers!
                "Detailing is as much an art as it is a science"
                www.autodetailer.co

Comment

Hey Don; sorry to hear about your accident. I really like that car!

The insurance companies use an average of auction reports and NADA books to value your car. If you can show valid accounts of cars similar to yours selling for more than they offer, they will have to adjust their valuation. They are required to justify their number, but that doesn't mean they are right.

Check your instalment sales contract and your insurance policy to see if you have GAP coverage. GAP covers the difference between what you get and what you owe.

Good luck with your claim, and I'm glad to hear that you are OK.

Tom
                  As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I spoke to the bodyshop last night (unofficially) one of their estimators said the car is on the line, but in his opinion only, with what he's seen so far the car is a loss. He said that just by looking at the car as they pulled it into the shop, they could tell that just about everything behind the rear window had been peeled/sliced off the frame rails...the trunk floor is now a sun roof...or is that a ground roof?

Time permitting, I will go and take pictures of the car after work. As for me, the right side of my neck is the only thing that's sore, I guess relaxing before the hit worked pretty well, except that I hit at an angle and pivoted during the impact.

You guys will know more when I do
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, it was getting late, and I was losing the light fast.

I talked to the owner of the shop tonight, and even he said: "Get used to the idea of going away." His way of saying it's toast. The insurance guys will have the final say in a few days.

Last edited by Don; Dec 21, 2004, 03:18 PM.
                      Don
                      12/27/2015
                      "Darth Camaro"

Comment

last 3

Don
                        12/27/2015
                        "Darth Camaro"

Comment

WOW! Was a hit!
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Trunk? What trunk? I don't see any signs of one, just a trunklid!Sorry to read about your wreck and to see the pictures. I'm glad to hear that you're OK though!

It sure does look like a total loss. Just make sure the insurance company doesn't cheat you!

RamAirV1
                            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Glad you are alright!

I grew up in Chagrin Falls. Took many spins and spills.

I moved a long time ago...
                              SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');