• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which polisher pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which polisher pads?

I might have my dad talked into buying a polisher, Its the Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbit, Variable Speed from 2500-6000 orm. (althought not throught Meguairs due to the price) but regardless I am insiting on using Meguiars pads and products. My question is will I need both the W-8006 soft polish pad and the W-9006 Finishing pad both to do a detail on a truck with swirl marks in it. I am planing on using what Mike had recomended which is M80 to remove the swirls. I assume that I will need to use the Soft Polish pad when applying the #80 then use the Finsihing pad when applying my #21 and NXT, do I remove all these products using a Ultimate Bonnet? Or do I remove the 80 by hand and the other with the bonnet? Im new to polishers and any tips, links, or other info on how to use one correctly, seepd and pressure info, so on and so forth is GREATLY appreciated. I know I have asked alot of questions but I am adimant (sp?) about doing a excellent job on any vehicle that I detail.

Also Will the Meguiars pads work without a meguiars backing plate? I would assume that as long as its a 6.5 inch velcrow backing plate it will be fine wont it? Or will we need to get the Meguiars backing plate along with the Meguiars pads?
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/719605

2002 SOM WS6 Trans Am - M6 - 3.42 gears
    Performance Mods: Jet Hot LT headers, Custom ceramic coated 3" ORY, SLP LM, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Volant Intake, Strut Tower Brace.

Apearance Mods: Racing Stripes, MBA Head Plate Cover, Battery & Fuse Box Covers, Silver gauges, Window tint.

Mods Waiting to be installed. BMR SFC's

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
    Nic

You can use either bonnets or towels to remove #80 and #21. I prefer bonnets. For my Rodeo last Saturday I used 2 bonnets for removing the #80 (one and a half really, I turned one inside-out once and the other I only used one side) and one for the #21. (#80 loads up the bonnet a bit, #21 hardly loads the bonnet at all.)

Have some towels and hand applicators handy for small, awkward areas that the buffer can't reach.

You'll need some kind of backing plate if you buy a 7424 because it comes with a fixed foam pad (and not a particularly useful one at that). If you buy the PC as a 7336 it will have a 6" hard plastic hook&loop plate which will work but a smaller flexible plate like the Meguiar's W-64DA (5" dia. for use with 6.5" pads) is much better. If you buy the W-DAV99 DA Velcro Buffing System you get the backing plate, two polishing pads and a finishing pad.

PC.

Comment

Thanks alot for the info!! I think Ill probably go ahead and try and get the DAV99 Buffing System, that should have everything in it that I need.

As far as which pads to use where... Do I use the # 8006 to apply the polish and then use 9006 to apply the waxes amd sealants? Or do you use the 9006 for all of it or what? Also, do they not make a 6.5 bonnet? Im guessing that Ill need the 8 in bonnet for the 6.5 in pads?
      Last edited by mr._bowtie; Jun 3, 2005, 04:04 AM.

Performance Mods: Jet Hot LT headers, Custom ceramic coated 3" ORY, SLP LM, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Volant Intake, Strut Tower Brace.

Apearance Mods: Racing Stripes, MBA Head Plate Cover, Battery & Fuse Box Covers, Silver gauges, Window tint.

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
      Nic

Comment

Originally posted by mr._bowtie
        Thanks alot for the info!! I think Ill probably go ahead and try and get the DAV99 Buffing System, that should have everything in it that I need.

As far as which pads to use where... Do I use the # 8006 to apply the polish and then use 9006 to apply the waxes amd sealants? Or do you use the 9006 for all of it or what? Also, do they not make a 6.5 bonnet? Im guessing that Ill need the 8 in bonnet for the 6.5 in pads?
        Hey,

Which pads depends on the severity of the marring as well as the paint's hardness. Generally, you would use the W-8006 Polishing Pad with the cleaner/compounds like #80, #82, #83. Then for applying the sealant or wax, use the W-9006 Finishing Pad.

For product removal, I prefer using an Ultimate Wipe for removing the #80 or other cleaner/compounds.

For sealants and waxes, I use a Ultimate Bonnet over either a clean/dry W-8006 Polishing Pad or over a W-7006 Cutting Pad. The cutting pad adds more rigidity when it comes to product removal.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Jumping in here.... Like you mentioned pick up the DAV99 buffing system, great value! You won't be disappointed with the results you will get from a PC and the Meg's pads.

If you are going to pick up some Ultimate Bonnets, it seems to me there was a part number for a two pack, not sure on the price but I would think its a better value than a single pack.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Awsome Tim!!! Thats exactly what I needed to know. I know that you are an expert in detail so are there any tips that you might that would help along the way... Im not new to cars and details, but my use of a polisher is very minimal. I would appreciate any info/help you could offer.

gb ... I havent seen the 2 pack bonnets... Do you have a link. All I can find are the 8 an 11 in bonnets in a single pack.
            Last edited by mr._bowtie; Jun 3, 2005, 04:53 AM.

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
            Nic

Comment

Originally posted by mr._bowtie
              Awsome Tim!!! Thats exactly what I needed to know. I know that you are an expert in detail so are there any tips that you might that would help along the way... Im not new to cars and details, but my use of a polisher is very minimal. I would appreciate any info/help you could offer.

gb ... I havent seen the 2 pack bonnets... Do you have a link. All I can find are the 8 an 11 in bonnets in a single pack.
              This is from another post "2-pack, part number X4003" (from mike phillips)

I have a single pack Ultimate Bonnet and the part number on it is M9920 I can not find part number M9920 on Meguiars.com anymore.
              Last edited by gb387; Jun 3, 2005, 05:12 AM.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                This is from another post "2-pack, part number X4003" (from mike phillips)

I have a single pack Ultimate Bonnet and the part number on it is M9920 I can not find part number M9920 on Meguiars.com anymore.

Im wondering if they have run out of the 6.5 bonnets and pulled them off the site? I even went to aonther site that sells Meguiars product and they show the used to have them but they are out of stock.

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
                Nic

Comment

The M9920 Ultimate Bonnet has been discontinued and it's replacement is the new 2-pack set, part number X4003

Actually, we now offer an entire new line of bonnets and pads through the Murray's Auto Parts Chain Stores, and of course through Meguiar's direct.

X4000 6" WOOL BUFFING PAD

X4001 6" FOAM POLISHING PAD

X4002 6" FOAM BUFFING PAD

X4003 6"-7" MICRO FIBER BONNET

X4004 7" LAMBS WOOL TIE-ON BONNET

X4005 7 1/2" WOOL BUFFING PAD

X4006 8" FOAM POLISHING PAD

X4007 8" DUAL FOAM PAD

X4008 9" FOAM BONNET

X4009 9"-10" MICRO FIBER BONNET

X4010 9"-10" WOOL BONNET

X4011 11" MICRO FIBER BONNET

Note some of these items are for rotary buffers, some are for dual action polishers and some are for orbital buffers.

I'll try to get pictures and links.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the numbers Mike!

I actually just called and asked Meguiars about it. I found out about the x4003, its just not on the web site yet, thats why I couldnt find it lol. Its just like 7.99 for the 2 pack. Dad did go ahead and buy the polisher So Ill be ordering the DAV99 Start up kit, and the X4003 bonnets. Ive already got all the product that I need to do it at the house. Now all Ill be waiting on is the pads and bonets to get here. Ill get some before and after pics of the detail. I cant wait lol Im so excited I cant stand it... Gotta love a freshly detail vehicle

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
                    Nic

Comment

Have fun!
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Have you seen this?

Tips & Techniques for using the G-100a to remove swirls and other paint defects.

Products Used
                        Quik Clay System
                        G-100a
                        W-8006 foam polishing pad
                        W-9006 foam finishing pad
                        #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
                        #80 Speed Glaze
                        Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
                        Ultimate Wipe
                        Ultimate Bonnet

First wash the car thoroughly. Pay special attention to loosening and removing any dirt particles from cracks and crevices to prevent these dirt particles from being introduced onto the surface during the polishing process. After washing and drying, inspect the surface both visually for below surface defects and with the palm of your clean hand for above surface defects.

If you feel any tiny little bumps still attached to the finish after washing, proceed to clay the paint to safely remove these contaminants. After claying each panel, wipe the panel down with a quick detailer to remove any residue.

Using Painters Tape, tape-off any plastic trim or components that you don not want to get product onto and also tape-off any edges, high points or areas with known thin paint.

Your car may not look like the below car, but the taped-off areas should...

Applying #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish with the G-100
                        • Speed Setting - 4.0 to 5.0
                        • Arm Speed - Slow Arm Speed
                        • Pressure - 3-5 pounds of pressure
                        • Work Area - Work a small area at a time, about 1 to 2 feet square
                        • Overlapping motions - Overlap each pass by 50%, move the polisher using different patterns
                        • Time - Work the product until the diminishing abrasives have broken down, but you haven't gone completely to a dry buff.
                        • Amount of product - Don't overuse product, use enough to lay down a film in the area you are working

When using the G100 Dual Action Polisher to remove defects, (This is different then merely applying a polish or a wax because you're trying to remove paint), you need to use a slow arm speed and overlap you passes by 50%. You also want to go in at least two different directions, for example, from where you're standing, side to side, then front to back. You can also move the polisher in a kitty/corner fashion for complete, thorough and uniform cleaning action.

Only work a small area at a time, this will vary according to the shape, curve or body line of the panel you are polishing but for example on a large flat panel, you want to stay around a 12" to 18" squared area. The point being, don't try to work to large of an area all at once or you won't remove the defects equally everywhere.

When you move on to a new section, overlap into the old section for a uniform end results.

When it comes time for applying a pure polish, or a wax, (besides cleaner/waxes like ColorX if you're doing a one-step), the you can polish larger areas and spend less time, i.e. use less passes.

The point of the cleaning step is to remove the defects. Because the G100's polishing action is gentle and therefore safe, it takes time to remove small particles of paint in an effort to remove a defect.

If the below image represents swirls and scratches evenly distributed throughout your car's finish,

Then you can see that in order to remove the defects you need to remove the highest areas of the surface until they are level with the lowest depths of the deepest scratches. In essence, you must remove paint.

Applying #80 Speed Glaze with the G-100
                        • Arm Speed - Medium Arm Speed
                        • Work Area - You can work a larger area than what you do with the #83 DACP
                        • Time - Work the product until the diminishing abrasives have broken down, but you haven't gone completely to a dry buff.
                        • Amount of product - Don't overuse product, use enough to lay down a film in the area you are working. Speed Glaze is rich in polishing oils a little bit goes a long ways

Applying NXT Tech Wax with the G-100
                        • Speed Setting - 3.0 to 4.0
                        • Pressure - Light pressure - More than the weight of the machine, you want to engage the foam pad with the surface, not just float over it
                        • Work Area - You can work panel by panel, for example, apply to one half of the hood, then walk to the other side of the car and apply to the other half of the hood. Apply to fender all at once, door, deck lid, etc.
                        • Time - Work the product long enough to make two passes over the finish then move on
                        • Amount of product - Don't overuse product, use enough to lay down a film in the area you are working

Removing Polish or Wax with an Ultimate Bonnet on the G-100
                        • Work Area - You can work panel by panel, for example, apply to one half of the hood, then walk to the other side of the car and apply to the other half of the hood. Apply to fender all at once, door, deck lid, etc.
                        • Time - Work the area until the bonnet has removed the wax

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

No Sir I had not seen that yet, I hadnt got a chance to really look for those tips yet, and you just made it a WHOLE lot easier lol. You da MAN Thats exactlly what I needed, should be all the tips and pointers in there that I could need. And if they arent Ill bet you have the awnsers. I really appreciate all the help and your tolerating all my newbie questions lol. Ill definatly get before and after pics of the truck and car.

BTW, Is your Blazer a 73 or 74... I have a 78 that I am trying to do a little resto on. Shes rough right now but Ill fix that before long. Gotta love those old blazers.

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
                          Nic

Comment

Hey mr._bowtie,

Just to add to Mike's comments, make sure you use a clean buffing pad and wipe-off towel for each product you use. For cleaner/polishes like #83 or #80, work only a 2'x2' area at one time. Work the products until they are a light residue/dust. But do not dry buff. I tend to use speed 5 on the G-100 for this purpose.
                            Finally, be sure to tape off your trim with the safe release painters tape (blue).

Good luck and please keep us posted!!!

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi Tim,

I really appreciate the added tips from a pro! That is info that I will take to heart and remember when I am working. I should have all the pads and everything I need by the end of the week, so hopefully I will be able to get the detail done on the truck this weekend. Im really glad I found this forum. Im always striving to take better care of my car and this is the kind of company that a guy needs when looking for the best way to do things!

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
                              Nic

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');