• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Stage rub-out- 57 chevy truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Stage rub-out- 57 chevy truck

This is part of another thread that was taken off target. I thought it a good idea to start a new thread to answer a question asked about the 57.--------

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Hey Joe,

Recently I had the pleasure of watching you restore the finish on this neglected and oxidized finish on this 1957 Chevrolet Pick Up Truck.

Before

Paint Cleaning

Paint Polishing

Sealing the paint with M21

Finished

This paint restoration came out perfect in every sense of the word, one of the products you used was the M80 Speed Glaze a cleaner/polish rich in Meguiar's polishing oils, from what I witnessed, after first cleaning the paint with a dedicated paint cleaner, the polishing step with Speed Glaze really increased the richness of color in the paint. The M21 added the finishing touch adding gloss and shine as well as sealing the finish.

And here is the question ----

Originally posted by Ranger72
    How come Joe (the gentelman detailing the '57 chevy pickup) Cut it with a woolpad and what looks to be '84 (cant tell) and polished with the G100 and #80. Is this because it is a single stage paint? I have not detailed many single stage paints and would like to hear some info... *cough mike phillips *cough* lol
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

First let me thank Mike for the kind words and for posting the pictures.

Now to answer your question, the trucks paint was badly oxidized (dried out). I used #1 with a wool pad to completely clean the finish. Once the finish was clean I polished it with speed glaze then followed it with #21 as indicated by Mikes post.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Hey Joe,

Fantastic work!!! Your extensive experience and skill has saved another classic vehicle!

How do you like using the #1 with the wool pad? What RPM did you use?

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I buff pretty slow. I like to take my time and run 1000-1400 rpm when I can. If I am in a rush I'll bump it up to 1500-1800.

The #1 worked out great for this old ride.

Comment

Was this the original formulation or the new voc-compliant version of #2? You did a great job on revitalizing that finish, I really like the way #21 seems to do on most anything it's applied to.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
            Was this the original formulation or the new voc-compliant version of #2? You did a great job on revitalizing that finish, I really like the way #21 seems to do on most anything it's applied to.
            It was actually M01 Medium Cut Cleaner that was used on this 1957 Chevrolety Truck, not M02

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Doh, nevermind.

Comment

You know I go tthinking about that last night, #2 or #1.

Well it was hot and my brain cooked a little bit.

Even though, #1 was used as the cleaner the following steps were the same.

Comment

ooo good, i was just directed towards this tread, good info. So you cut it with the rotary and polished with the G100 and 80. Yeah I bet that bad boy was even more so oxidized than the picutres show.
                  Rangerpowersports.com
                  Ranger72

Comment

It was really hard to get good pictures as the sky was so clear and the sun was so bright...
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yeah, the sun will give the appearanve of shine in a photo. I took a picture of a 1992ish (lol cant remember) F150 that was "flat" blue, well oxidized to hell. I took the before picture and it didnt look as bad as it was, I pulled the truck under a tree to better so the oxidation. On the single stage paint, does the wool pad inflict asdeep/ as much a scratch as on a clear coat? In a world of clear coat, I have yet to detail a single stage. I guess that has to do with the fact that I am only 21 years old lol!
                      Rangerpowersports.com
                      Ranger72

Comment

Finished Photo 8

Finished Photo 14

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Photo 12

Photo 5

Photo 10

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike your too damn fast! lol I, along with everyone else on this forum ,really appreciate you commitment and dedication to helping us all out! Also, can you look at my preciouse post (right b4 these pics) any insight would be appreciated. thanks a lot
                            -Mike
                            Rangerpowersports.com
                            Ranger72

Comment

Joe,
                              What kind of backing plate are you using. Looks to be wider than the Meguiars one.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');