• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on my product combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on my product combo

First post here.

I have a black '95 Ford Explorer Sport with 200k miles and has only been waxed maybe once or twice a year since it was new even though its been driven through many salty Minnesota winters. I do wash it weekly at a local self wash and its garaged kept so the paint doesn't look too bad but in the sun it looks horrible!

I have been researching products and tools for detailing for about 3 weeks now, browsing these forums and other places since I really want to do something about the condition of the paint. I want it to really shine, as much as possible and also a lasting protection.

I also want the other parts (engine bay, wheels, tire, etc.) to be provided the same.

So far I have bought some products at local stores and some others are in my Meguiar's shopping cart. I would like to make sure that my combo will be fine.

I plan on washing, claying, and with my new PC 7336, paint cleaning, polishing, and waxing.

For this, I have purchased Deep Crystal Wash/Paint Cleaner/Polish, NXT liquid wax, and Quik Clay.

I do still need pads and a backing plate so I plan on purchasing the pad kit with the plate.

Will the kit be enough? I understand that since the DC polish is pure, the 9006 pad is best, as well as for the wax and a 8006 for the cleaner. Is that correct?

For the plastic trim and bumpers, I bought Gold Class Wipes. I also plan to use those in the interior.
    For my leather seats, GC Rich Leather.
    The headlight lenses are less than a year old but I would like some kind of protection since they are custom and not OEM quality so I plan to get PlastX.

For my tires, I'm planning on getting the NXT tire cleaner, mainly for the white lettering, and GC Endurance Gel, non gloss.

For my custom chrome and also polished aluminum wheels, I have Hot Shine Wheel Cleaner and plan on getting NXT Metal Polysh.

I keep my engine bay quite clean of surface dirt, etc. but I would like it to look as new as possible, not really a greasy shine. Is there any one product, like a spray-on, that could shine up the engine bay? NXT Tech Protect seems like the closest thing I have found.

I also have Quik Detailer to use after each wash.

As far as tools, I have nothing since I never wash at home. I plan to get a wash pad or mitt, a V-A tire brush, and a microfiber towel for drying.

Is there anything I'm missing or a product I should substitute with another? Thanks for any input, its tough being a newbie
    Andy
    Newbie Detailer
    '95 Ford Explorer Sport
    My truck's Meguiar's makeover

Deep Crystal paint cleaner won't touch the swirl marks in your paint. You'll need something stronger, such as #80 Speed Glaze or maybe #83 DACP. Use them with polishing pads.

The rest of your plan is good.
    Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Re: Opinions on my product combo

Originally posted by 95Xsport
      First post here.
      Hi 95Xsport,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I also received your e-mails and thank you for posting your question to our forum.

I have a black '95 Ford Explorer Sport with 200k miles and has only been waxed maybe once or twice a year since it was new even though its been driven through many salty Minnesota winters. I do wash it weekly at a local self wash and its garaged kept so the paint doesn't look too bad but in the sun it looks horrible![/b][/quote]

Sounds like a good candidate for a Meguiar's Extreme Makeover! You should be sure to take a few really good before pictures to contrast to your after pictures.

Here's an article that will explain how to work with images in a forum like this.

How to put pictures into your posts

I have been researching products and tools for detailing for about 3 weeks now, browsing these forums and other places since I really want to do something about the condition of the paint. I want it to really shine, as much as possible and also a lasting protection.

I also want the other parts (engine bay, wheels, tire, etc.) to be provided the same.
      We hope you have found Meguiar's Online to be helpful in your quest for the perfect shine, especially compared to the other forums that are out there...

So far I have bought some products at local stores and some others are in my Meguiar's shopping cart. I would like to make sure that my combo will be fine.

I plan on washing, claying, and with my new PC 7336, paint cleaning, polishing, and waxing.
      Just curious, where did you purchase your PC?

For this, I have purchased Deep Crystal Wash/Paint Cleaner/Polish, NXT liquid wax, and Quik Clay.
      Good collection, but the paint cleaner as black240sx pointed out is to gentle for removing swirls like your truck has. Good for future light cleaning, but not removing swirls by hand or machine.

I do still need pads and a backing plate so I plan on purchasing the pad kit with the plate.
      Here's what you need...
      DA Velcro Buffing System

Will the kit be enough? I understand that since the DC polish is pure, the 9006 pad is best, as well as for the wax and a 8006 for the cleaner. Is that correct?
      The pad kit will be enough, you'll need to get a cleaner/polish like the M80 Speed Glaze minimum, perhaps some M83 if the M80 isn't aggressive enough to remove the swirls in your trucks paint.

Read this thread it will explain everything to you for the task your about to undertake...

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Here's a more complete list of product for a truck in the condition you describe...

Products Used
      Quik Clay System
      G-100a
      1 each W-7006 SOFTBUFF™ Cutting Pad (For use with the the Gold Class Bonnets)
      2 each W-8006 Soft Buff® Foam Polishing Pads (For use applying cleaner/polishes)
      1 each W-9006 SOFTBUFF™ Finishing Pad (For use applying NXT Tech Wax)
      #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
      #80 Speed Glaze
      Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
      Supreme Shine Microfiber
      X4003 Gold Class Clear Coat Safe Microfiber Bonnets 2-Pack

Some of the above things are optional for example the bonnets and the cutting pad for use with the bonnets, you can always remove your wax by hand.

For the plastic trim and bumpers, I bought Gold Class Wipes. I also plan to use those in the interior.
      For exterior plastic a better choice would be Gold Class Trim Detailer

For my leather seats, GC Rich Leather.
      This product?

Gold Class Rich Leather Spray

If so, good choice, apply by spraying a folded a microfiber 4 ways and dampening one side, then use this one side to apply and work the product in.

The headlight lenses are less than a year old but I would like some kind of protection since they are custom and not OEM quality so I plan to get PlastX.
      Good choice. Apply with a peice of terry cloth, work product against the finish then wipe off.

For my tires, I'm planning on getting the NXT tire cleaner, mainly for the white lettering, and GC Endurance Gel, non gloss.
      Good combination.

For my custom chrome and also polished aluminum wheels, I have Hot Shine Wheel Cleaner and plan on getting NXT Metal Polysh.
      Again, very good combination. You might look at getting both a Meguiar's tire brush and a Meguiar's Wheel Brush to make cleaning more effective and easy.

Versa-Angle Tire Brush
      Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush

I keep my engine bay quite clean of surface dirt, etc. but I would like it to look as new as possible, not really a greasy shine. Is there any one product, like a spray-on, that could shine up the engine bay? NXT Tech Protect seems like the closest thing I have found.
      You'll need two products, one to clean the engine compartment and one to dress the engine compartment, a good choice would be

Super Degreaser
      Hyper-Dressing

I also have Quik Detailer to use after each wash.
      Good choice. You might look at one of our spray waxes also.

Using Meguiar's Even Coat Applicator to apply NXT Spray Wax

How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

As far as tools, I have nothing since I never wash at home. I plan to get a wash pad or mitt, a V-A tire brush, and a microfiber towel for drying.
      Check out some of these new Meguiar's products, my favorite is the wide body brush on the extendable handle, you have to order the mop in order to get the extendable handle however.

http://meguiars.com/whatsnew/accessories05.cfm

Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush

Is there anything I'm missing or a product I should substitute with another? Thanks for any input, its tough being a newbie
      I think I covered all the bases above...

Have fun and do try to take some good before and after pictures to share with our forum.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

WOW, I cannot thank you enough for that extremely detailed response, Mike!! I have certainly learned a lot already from this site and it has given me hope that my truck can look better than it has. I will definitely post some pics, I had even planned to leave one side of my hood untouched through the whole process for a better contrast. Plus, its the least I can do for all the help. I do have some pics at my CarDomain page if you look at my website, but theres not many pics that expose the swirl marks since I've tried my best to hide those

To answer your question, I bought my PC at Lowe's home improvement. This is the only retailer I could find it at. There are only two Lowe's in MN so I had to drive about 50 miles to get there

Good collection, but the paint cleaner as black240sx pointed out is to gentle for removing swirls like your truck has. Good for future light cleaning, but not removing swirls by hand or machine.
        Alright, thats good to know, so I should keep it then for the future or will the other cleaner do just fine?

The pad kit will be enough, you'll need to get a cleaner/polish like the M80 Speed Glaze minimum, perhaps some M83 if the M80 isn't aggressive enough to remove the swirls in your trucks paint.
        Does this mean that I will not need the DC Polish as well? Also, I read through that post that you linked me to and you mention that for use with the M83 a 7006 cutting pad is needed (or is it optional?). Would that be in addition to the DA Velcro Buffing System?

Sounds good. Is their any other use for the Gold Class Wipes that I have? The interior is what I had in mind, unless there is also a better alternative to that.

This product? (referring to leather cleaner)
        The product I have is actually the same thing as the spray you showed me but rather a liquid.

You'll need two products, one to clean the engine compartment and one to dress the engine compartment, a good choice would be Super Degreaser & Hyper-Dressing
        Will I still need the Degreaser even if my engine bay isnt all that dirty? Also, how are these products applied?

One more question; would you recommend claying my entire truck for the first time? I really only notice the bumps on the hood but Ive read other posts where this was recommended.

Thanks again for all the help
        Last edited by 95Xsport; Jul 25, 2005, 02:52 PM.
        Andy
        Newbie Detailer
        '95 Ford Explorer Sport
        My truck's Meguiar's makeover

Comment

The only way I could answer your questions without taking everything out of context was to copy your last reply with my quotes and answer them in blue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW, I cannot thank you enough for that extremely detailed response, Mike!! I have certainly learned a lot already from this site and it has given me hope that my truck can look better than it has. I will definitely post some pics, I had even planned to leave one side of my hood untouched through the whole process for a better contrast. Plus, its the least I can do for all the help. I do have some pics at my CarDomain page if you look at my website, but theres not many pics that expose the swirl marks since I've tried my best to hide those

To answer your question, I bought my PC at Lowe's home improvement. This is the only retailer I could find it at. There are only two Lowe's in MN so I had to drive about 50 miles to get there

Alright, thats good to know, so I should keep it then for the future or will the other cleaner do just fine?

I would keep it, think of it as an investment for your tool box

Does this mean that I will not need the DC Polish as well? Also, I read through that post that you linked me to and you mention that for use with the M83 a 7006 cutting pad is needed (or is it optional?). Would that be in addition to the DA Velcro Buffing System?

Go re-read that article, I said the W-7006 is for use with a bonnet for removing wax only. Meguiar's never recommends using the W-7006 cutting pad with a dual action polisher for applying products as it's too aggressive and you can haze your paint.

As to your polish question, if you finish with M80 Speed Glaze you do not need to apply a pure polish as the M80 Speed Glaze is very rich in polishing oils to start with. You can if you like, but you don't need to.

If you want to remove wax with a dual action polisher, you'll have to dedicate a W-8006 foam polishing pad for use only with a bonnet, or purchase a W-7006 cutting pad and dedicate it for this purpose. The idea is to use a stiff pad with the bonnet, and you cannot use a used pad as the residue will create problems either wet or dry. This is why you need a "dedicated" pad, never used with a chemical, only reserved for use with bonnets.

Our pad kit doesn't come with the cutting pad, you have to purchase it separately.

Sounds good. Is their any other use for the Gold Class Wipes that I have? The interior is what I had in mind, unless there is also a better alternative to that.

The leather wipes are good for large flat surfaces like seats.

This product? (referring to leather cleaner)
          The product I have is actually the same thing as the spray you showed me but rather a liquid.

Apply the liquid with either one of our Hi-Tech applicators or our Even Coat Applicators, but work well. Saturate the pad with product then apply to surface.

You'll need two products, one to clean the engine compartment and one to dress the engine compartment, a good choice would be Super Degreaser & Hyper-Dressing
          Will I still need the Degreaser even if my engine bay isn't all that dirty? Also, how are these products applied?

You cannot, or should not apply a dressing to a dirty surface, so if your engine compartment isn't very dirty then you can use a less aggressive product to clean it, like our All Purpose Cleaner. Meguiar's always teaches to "Use the least aggressive product to get the job done", this applies to paint and to any other cleaning process. These products are sprayed onto the engine compartment using our matching spray bottles and spray heads. Look under our Detailing line on www.meguiars.colm

One more question; would you recommend claying my entire truck for the first time? I really only notice the bumps on the hood but Ive read other posts where this was recommended.

Horizontal surfaces are fine, if you don't feel anything on the vertical panels, then skip them.

Thanks again for all the help

You're welcome
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');