• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claying - How Often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying - How Often?

How often do I need to clay my car's finish?

The question is often asked,

"How often do I need to clay my car's finish?"

The answer is,

"It depends on where you park your car and what's floating in the air"

If you spent one day detailing your car including claying it and applying a coating of wax, and the next day your car was parked in a parking lot like this,

And about 100 yards away is a painter elevated into the sky spraying paint onto a building like this...

Then because the wind will tend to carry the overspray through the air until it finds a place to touch down and come to rest, you may very well need to clay your car the next day.

"How often you need to clay your car's finish depends on what's floating in the air where you park your car"

As I drove down the road from where this building is being sprayed, I stopped to take a photograph of this Corvette sitting behind a fence in the owners front yard while he was doing some upgrades to the house that required access to the garage.

It's completely possible the paint overspray being sprayed into the air just a few blocks down the road could come to rest on this Corvette's finish as well as everything else, including the window glass and the convertible top.

What Meguiar's teaches is that in order to know whether or not you need to clay, or re-clay your car's finish, you need to evaluate the condition of the finish, with both your eyes and your sense of touch.

So the answer to,

"How often do I need to clay my car's finish?"

Is as often as necessary and the way you determine if claying is necessary is to evaluate the condition of the finish, with both your eyes and your sense of touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Note: The above photos were all taken on August 2nd, at approximately noon at a nearby establishment.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

HILARIOUS!
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Actually, I would call it scary! It makes me sick when I see overspray going into the air like that!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Seems to me that if one paints buildings for a living, one would be aware of the havoc wind and floating paint globules can cause.

Like the time a painter got behind schedule in my neck of the woods (while painting the local sewage treatment plant)...
        He decided to spray the exopy urethane industrial paint, versus rolling it on (as his permit required).
        I guess he didn't see the eight hundred or so cars about 1/4 mile away.
        That was an expensive error in judgement.
        Kevin Brown
        NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

It's amazing how atomized paint particles can float in the air for such a long distance.

My former company made the mistake of spray painting items outside the building one time, and it cost them plenty to have the employee's cars cleaned up.............Too bad clay wasn't invented at that time.

Now-a-days, they use paint that has a positive charge to it, and it helps to reduce overspray somewhat...........In a paint booth of course.
          r. b.

Comment

I have a WWII sniper rifle I can lend out to anybody who has their car in that lot. That is one of the best ways to stop overspray!!

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Most painters could care less if they get overspray on cars in a parking lot. They would only care if they got caught and had to pay to fix the damaged cars. And how many of us OCD MOL members would trust someone else to remove overspray for us? Probably not many, as most people hired to remove overspray would whip out the rotary and some aggressive compound. So in the end it means a lot more work for us!

Most of the time the painters will get away with it, just my guess. Most people won't notice the overspray until it is too late to do anything about it and a lot of them probably don't care. Not everyone is like us when it comes to our cars and trucks.

Ok, now where's that sniper rifle?

RamAirV1
              Last edited by RamAirV1; Aug 2, 2005, 05:24 PM.
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                I have a WWII sniper rifle I can lend out to anybody who has their car in that lot. That is one of the best ways to stop overspray!!

Last week, I saw video of a .50 cal sniper rifle in action, over in Afghanistan..............'nuff said.
                r. b.

Comment

Theoretically, depending on where you live, it may be necessary to clay your vehicle every week. If you lived near a foundry, railroad tracks, or get a lot of tree sap, this would be entirely possible.

RamAirV1
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                    Theoretically, depending on where you live, it may be necessary to clay your vehicle every week. If you lived near a foundry, railroad tracks, or get a lot of tree sap, this would be entirely possible.

RamAirV1
                    I scored two out of three there.

A good wash with one of Meg's shampoos often can help remove most contamination before it has a chance to bond.

Tree sap especially.
                    Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 2, 2005, 07:12 PM.
                    r. b.

Comment

Here's a few more shots of the overspray in the air to kind of drive the point home...

Look for the white paint in the blue sky

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine

Haha. Thats funny.

Comment

That's a lot of overspray!

He needs to wear a respirator for his own health's sake.
                          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                            I scored two out of three there.

A good wash with one of Meg's shampoos often can help most remove contamination before it has a chance to bond.

Tree sap especially.
                            That's true, if you can get the tree sap right away, clay is not necessary. A QD may even work. But if you get rail dust, or foundry dust it's time to get out the clay bar.

RamAirV1
                            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Years ago, I knew a family that lived about 40 or 50 yards from the railroad tracks. The train tracks were in a big ditch, but the rail dust was so bad that it kept their flooring dirty all the time when the windows were open.
                              Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 2, 2005, 07:14 PM.
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');