• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1st detail/makeover, 200k mile Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st detail/makeover, 200k mile Explorer

After browsing these forums for a while and getting a bunch of advice from Mike in this thread, I finally completed my first detail of the exterior of my '95 Ford Explorer Sport. After 10 years and just over 200k miles, I needed to do something about the poor condition of the original paint.

Overall I'm very happy with the results. The paint still isn't completely flawless but it turned out better than I ever expected. I think with a little more work, it could be even better.
    Here's the products I used:

-DC Car Wash
    -Quik Clay system (used on the entire body)
    -Hot Rims wheel cleaner
    -NXT tire cleaner
    -#83 and #80 with 8006 pads
    -NXT Tech Wax liquid (2 coats) with 9006 pad
    -Endurance tire gel
    -GC Trim Detailer
    -PlastX

Unfortunately it wasn't sunny the day I began the detail so I wasn't able to get some good before pics as much as I had hoped to. The flash of the camera did a good job of showing the swirls in some of the pics though. I noticed that some of the pics I posted may not show enough detail because of the small resolution so I also have links to ultra-high resolution pics below those posted pics if anyone was interested in seeing them. Im sure they're too big for 56k guys to load.

-Before/After's
    This is a pic from January '04 that basically sums up what the condition of the paint appeared like when it reflected the sunlight anywhere on the body. I wish I had more of these pics but I always avoided taking pics that exposed the swirls.

High Res

-Tires, I wanted to try Metal Polysh on the wheels but it's currently on backorder.

-Driver's door

High Res

After....

-Hood, this was the worst part of the truck. It still needs some work but looks 10x better.

-Rear hatch, another spot that always bothered me. With all the swirls and scratches, it looked faded. The clear coat still has that 'orange peel' appearance like the rest of the truck only much worse here for some reason.

High Res

The finished product!

Next will be the engine bay and interior once a few products come in. Thanks for checking it out!
    Andy
    Newbie Detailer
    '95 Ford Explorer Sport
    My truck's Meguiar's makeover

Not to bad! Looks like you had some work to do! looks like it was well worth the work!

On your Deep Crystal wash bottle... is that a measuring cup on top? did it come with the wash?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Looks good. On a side note: I looked at your Car Domain site. I was glad to see you put instructions on how to black out tail lights. I have been wanting to do this to my Escape. Thanks-good info.
      2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
      1998 BMW 318ti

Comment

Thanks for the comments

Originally posted by gb387
        On your Deep Crystal wash bottle... is that a measuring cup on top? did it come with the wash?
        Haha, yea, thats a one ounce measuring cup. That didnt come with the jug but I just stuck on top there to use next time.

Escape, no problem. I dont think I've seen tinted tails on an Escape.
        Andy
        Newbie Detailer
        '95 Ford Explorer Sport

Comment

Yeah, I only know of one and it's out in California, but he had a body shop paint them. I have been looking at either using film or paint, but the only paint I could find was Testors Transparent Window Tint and I didn't like the flow the nozzle gave. I am going to order a bottle of what you used to see if it's better. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
          2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
          1998 BMW 318ti

Comment

The stuff I used, VHT NiteShades, hardly affects the lighting also. Good luck with it.
            Andy
            Newbie Detailer
            '95 Ford Explorer Sport

Comment

Major improvement!

I like the late evening pictures too. Gives it a golden glow.

I think you Ford will look better in a few more days, after the products have had a chance to penetrate into the finish and have a little cure time to boot.

Now that you've already did the hard part, you can really have some fun with your DA and give the finish a little more fine polishing next time.
              r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                Major improvement!

I like the late evening pictures too. Gives it a golden glow.

I think you Ford will look better in a few more days, after the products have had a chance to penetrate into the finish and have a little cure time to boot.

Now that you've already did the hard part, you can really have some fun with your DA and give the finish a little more fine polishing next time.
                Thanks a lot!
                I didnt intend to take the pics during the evening but that was my first chance after and before the rain to take some pics. In the end Im glad I did.
                Now that I have a little experience, Im hoping to get more 'advanced' slowly but surely. Plus, like you said, the paint is in much better condition and finishing touches can be applied!
                Andy
                Newbie Detailer
                '95 Ford Explorer Sport

Comment

good job!! good to see another MN member on the board.

Greg
                  Pinnacle Detailing

Comment

Excellent work, stellar results!

Looking forward to your engine extreme makeover!
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

What happened to the snow? Nice job!

Comment

I noticed the same thing about the snow, you must have been buffing for a while!!

Good work!

Big Ben
                        Big Ben
                        Buff Tech Auto Detailing

Key to success? Find out what your competitors hate to do and make it your specialty!!

Comment

Originally posted by 95Xsport
                          Now that I have a little experience, Im hoping to get more 'advanced' slowly but surely. Plus, like you said, the paint is in much better condition and finishing touches can be applied!
                          #83, & #80 are tough to beat. But try out #82 and #81 the next time you order.......Just to round out things.
                          r. b.

Comment

Nice! Very Nice! It is looking good now.
                            Born to be hated;Dying to be loved.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited...1967 Ford Mustang 5.0...2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by gregcavi
                              good job!! good to see another MN member on the board.

Greg
                              Hey, didnt know there were other MN guys here Ive been to Lake City a few times.

I was wondering when you would chime in Mike, Im just waiting for APC to get off backorder and the engine will be done asap

lol about the snow, did you guys mean the snow in the first pic of my truck? I did mention that was from January of 2004

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                              #83, & #80 are tough to beat. But try out #82 and #81 the next time you order.......Just to round out things.
                              Sounds good, I just looked up those products, so #81 is by hand and #82 with the DA....Would I just use the same order of products as last time except replacing #83/#80 with #82/#81?

Thanks everyone
                              Andy
                              Newbie Detailer
                              '95 Ford Explorer Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');