• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~Sweet 16 ~ (56K KILLER)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Sweet 16 ~ (56K KILLER)

Well, I finally gave my DA a try this weekend. I was forced to work in my garage with very little working room (poor poor me, right?). This is my first detail job.
    The Subject: 2001 Silverado Ext Cab LS
    The Color: Green Pearl Metallic (GM# 47)
    The paint condition at start: Fair to Good
    The method:
    1. GC Wash
    2. Meg's Professional Clay Mild (Blue) With QD as lube

Hood SHot Before. Notice the dullness, and pitting. The rest is metallic flake. The paint was not too bad to begin with.

Hood Shot after:

This is after using #83, #80, #81... letting the polish set up over night (after wiping off of course)

I learned something: Even after washing Aluminum wheels, there is still a lot of dirt. SO I clayed these rims:

I then applied a coat of Gold Class Paste Wax to the wheels, I also polished the fender wells, then waxed with #16. Here it is right before I remove:

Heres a hood reflection shot after a coat of #16:

And another:

One More:

Heres a few distant shots of entire truck. I did not have time to take the best shots I wanted. The tires arent even dressed. ALso after moving outinto sunlight, I saw some places where I need to wipe down with a fresh MF towel. Forgive my noob-ness

Finished product:

Well I am open to opinions and critiques. I learned a few things as this was my first time. Here are a few of the things I learned:

1. I should have spent more time per panel. I got into a rush and just wanted to see the thing finished

2. Claying the wheels really brought out a deep luster

3. Everything that #81 touched it made beautiful. I got some on a piece of rubber door molding, and wiped it off VERY EASILY. #16 comes off of trim much easier than other waxes I have tried.

4. I need a much brighter light to inspect my work. Need to give myself more time for the job. (took me 6 hours just to clean, polish)

5. #83 is a perfect selection for this GM truck. No need for #80.

6. Even though #83 is a polish, adding hand rubbed #81 after made the deep dark green metallic flake jump and dance in the sunlight.

Please reply and tell me whatcha think?? tomorrow I am going to wipe down better and take a few better pictures.
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Re: ~Sweet 16 ~ (56K KILLER)

Sounds like you mostly critiqued yourself there, Hannibal. I have little to add to your comments, aside from reminding you that there are 4 P's to detailing: Patience, Prep, Process, and Products. Having the patience to prep the paint using a proven process with the right products is your key to success

Nice work on the truck.

Originally posted by Hannibal
    5. #83 is a perfect selection for this GM truck. No need for #80.
    That's exactly what I keep telling people! Nobody seems to usually believe that you can go right from #83 to the LSP without much "in-between" work or going to a product like #80.

Comment

Hannibal, glad you have the DA to use, finally. That's a great green on your truck!

"1. I should have spent more time per panel. I got into a rush and just wanted to see the thing finished" <----that's a not uncommon feeling

Time constraints, having no backup to drive while you spend 3 days detailing, and weather can play a factor in making a detailer feel rushed....no need to feel bad about that

That extra pure polish step makes a difference, doesn't it? Personally, I enjoy seeing the results it gives. It's a reward for all the hard work....getting to put another layer of gloss over the results you achieved.
      See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Yes I liked the #81. Man they make this stuff smell so good I am gonna post some better pic in high noon sun to see the details.

I was at the dealer and he thought at first it was a 2004 when he looked out the shop window. Its actually a 2001 that has been cared for (minus a few dings). It is a daily driver and is parked outside. I work out of this truck 5-6 days a week as an electrician. For the dirty job sites I have a 1977 FORD.

I noticed the #16 really needs time to cure. It is getting glossier as it cures, and I am lightly wiping down with MF as very small spots of unremoved wax appears. It looks like a winner. I do like the quick glossy look of Gold Class Paste, but this stuff is really turning into a better finish.
        Last edited by Hannibal; Nov 27, 2005, 04:03 PM.
        http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');