• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1968 Chevy Camaro Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We scheduled a full day for buffing. I estimated around 11 hours of work needed. In hindsight a second day really could have been utilized.

Day #2
    Start Time: 8:30AM
    Finish Time: 8:45PM
    1 Hour Break for son's Christmas party at daycare

Products:
    STEP 1
    Wheel Brightener
    NXT Car Wash
    Endurance High Gloss

STEP 2
    Quik Clay System

STEP 3
    Makita Rotary Buffer 9227c with Meguiar's backing plate and foam pads
    M80 Speed Glaze
    G-100 PC
    6" Yellow Foam Pad
    6" Burgundy Foam Pad
    6" Tan Foam Pad
    Microfiber Bonnets
    Supreme Shine Microfiber
    High Tech Applicator Pad
    ScratchX

STEP 4
    M21

STEP 5
    Tire & Trim Dressing Gel
    M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner
    Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner
    NXT Glass Cleaner
    NXT All Metal Polysh

It's a great looking car. My initial inspection showed a lot of potential issues. Sharp body lines and high points meant rotary work had to be taken with extreme care. Deterioriating rubber seals and a door that doesn't close fully meant that consideration had to be made to prevent water from entering these cracks. Chrome was oxidized, so that would need to be treated. Wheels were delicate--painted areas were flaking. All top surfaces were hazed and cloudy. Side panels were in better condition, but swirled. Vinyl top would need cleaning and treating as well. Interior needed vacuuming. So I made a mental checklist and prioritized them putting painted surfaces as highest, chrome second, interior as last. However, sitting in a clean environment--clean glass, clean carpet, and clean seats really improves the overall experience, so I made notes to do that as a minimum.

The day was just about perfect for working. Cloudy and overcast.

I gently watered down the finish with my pressure washer on low. If you'll note, I normally would tape off a car AFTER it's been washed, but in this case, there were lots of areas I didn't want water to be, so I used the tape to seal them off. In hindsight, a cloth bed sheet may have been a better solution. The tape worked well, but lost it's tackiness, not to mention held some water.

I sprayed on the NXT Car Wash on low

The front wheels were dirty, so some Wheel Brightener from the Detail Line solved that pretty easily. Ignore the sprayer bottle (APC), it's the correct product in the wrong sprayer bottle.

A couple quick blasts of water and you can see the results

Now they are sparkling

Here I am with my Makita

Progress being made. It was a lot of delicate work.

Notice the right side (left in this pic) is gradually getting glossier.

More Glossy

Ok Break time. By this time--11:30, I'd been buffing for 2-1/2 hours.

Started again at 12:30.

Arms were kinda tired, so I moved on to the side panels and saw these defects.

A little buffing later with the rotary. The green metallic flake is very visible here.

I went around the car, then back to the hood

From my mental checklist, I wanted to make the Chrome pop. The wheels were rusted, so I decided to claybar them, then use NXT Metal Polysh.

Sprayed some Quik Detailer for lubricant

Clay was effective at removing rust

M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner worked great on the vinyl top. A nylon brush helped remove splatter residue from the rotary. Just make sure to keep M39 away from any waxed surfaces!

Nice reflective shot

Around 5:30PM Gerry stopped by to look at his car, and he actually joined me in finishing it up until about 8:45pm. We used ScratchX on a foam applicator pad to get all the areas that were too risky to do by machine. This worked great to remove any haze that couldn't be removed. This was topped off with M21 with a tan polishing pad and the PC.

Day Pix are coming....
    Last edited by OctaneGuy; Jan 1, 2006, 12:54 AM.
    Richard Lin
    ShowCarDetailing
    5548 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Way to go Richard!!!!!

Looks awesome.
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Wow! Great makeover! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

And here are the Day Pix, shot this morning! The client left super pleased. Merry Christmas Gerry!

In case you forgot, it began like this

Richard Lin
          ShowCarDetailing
          5548 E. La Palma Ave
          Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

You made one happy camaro owner! nice transformation...
            Rangerpowersports.com
            Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy

Uh-oh! I see a little pony-car war going on here!

Great save on this car.

Comment

Wow is all I can say, no way that car looks that good from the shape it was in. Verry impressive work and thanks for the great write up and pictures as they told the story.

Congrads on the great job, well worth your hard work...

Tom

Comment

Hey Richard,

Great job!!! Now, no more work! Go take a break and enjoy Christmas!!! All the best!!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Haha, thanks Tim, and everyone for your comments.

I just finished one Christmas dinner and presents from one family, getting ready to do it all over again in a few minutes with another.

Merry Christmas!

Richard
                    Richard Lin
                    ShowCarDetailing
                    5548 E. La Palma Ave
                    Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

You better stop that guy stealing the antenna!!!

That looks like a fun car, nice detail. One of the best workovers Ive seen
                      http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Oh.. my... God! I am simply AMAZED!

One thing I want to know... when the current owner purchased the car, was it basically in this condition? I know he said another 'detailer' worked on it, and that affected the paint in some way, but was it more or less like that? If so, he probably bought the car under the assumption it needed a repaint, which significantly devalued the car. You probably added thousands to the resale value of that car!

Comment

The way I understand it is that the finish wasn't this bad when he purchased it. He told me that he thought he was taking care of the finish by using a buffer and some off brand wax that has a mascot that moves reallly slow.

He told me only the top surfaces looked bad, because that's all that he worked on before realizing he was damaging the finish. The paint was subsequently worked on by another detailer at a car wash in an attempt to fix it, but the "effect" only lasted around 30 minutes before the haze returned.

Either way, the finish is now what he's been dreaming about for years and thought could only be achieved by an expensive repaint that he couldn't yet afford.

He promised me he was going to take care of the paint--he was getting a car cover, I explained how the car needed to be cleaned off before being covered, and the types of towels, and products that should be used--and to toss out that off brand wax!

Thanks for your comments.

Richard

Originally posted by kpagel
                          Oh.. my... God! I am simply AMAZED!

One thing I want to know... when the current owner purchased the car, was it basically in this condition? I know he said another 'detailer' worked on it, and that affected the paint in some way, but was it more or less like that? If so, he probably bought the car under the assumption it needed a repaint, which significantly devalued the car. You probably added thousands to the resale value of that car!
                          Richard Lin
                          ShowCarDetailing
                          5548 E. La Palma Ave
                          Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy

The paint was subsequently worked on by another detailer at a car wash in an attempt to fix it, but the "effect" only lasted around 30 minutes before the haze returned.

Hmm...I wonder what he put on there?

Comment

Not sure, but the way the customer described it was that no paint was removed during the buffing process, and that they made it shiny for a very brief time---apparently long enough for him to get it home before it returned back to the hazed state.

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
                              Hmm...I wonder what he put on there?
                              Richard Lin
                              ShowCarDetailing
                              5548 E. La Palma Ave
                              Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

A Very Valuable Lesson

During the buffing of this Camaro, I was being extra careful about making any irreversible mistakes. At one point, I noticed a burn on a high point, and for atleast 30 minutes, I was really stressed. First, I always made sure to work up but not on the edges, and I took many precautions, always playing it safe, yet there it was, a burn in, and worse it was right at the front of the hood. I called Mike Phillips, and told him that while things were going great, I felt really bad about this. He tried to provide some comforting words. Later when the customer arrived, I told him about it, and he just shrugged it off, saying there were a lot of defects already, and that it didn't matter.

Still, I felt bad, and that's not the kind of mistake I ever want to be making.

You can see the spot circled here.

A few days later as I began processing my photos, I noticed an interesting thing. From a shot I took the night I inspected the car, there was a white spot in exactly the spot of the burn. I zoomed in on it, and what do you know? It was a pre-existing condition. I didn't cause it! You can imagine the relief I felt.

The moral of the story is, document your subject well before beginning work. Make sure the photos are sharp and well focused in case you need to zoom into it. In my case, I'm shooting with a 6MP Digital SLR, and the RAW file allows me to zoom in very tight without seeing any compression artifacts that might be confused for defects.

I'm also thinking that a liability waiver might be a smart thing to have just for peace of mind. Do any of the other pro detailers use them?
                                Richard Lin
                                ShowCarDetailing
                                5548 E. La Palma Ave
                                Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');