• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Detail

I wanted to post the fruits of my labor, this past weekend. This topic always gets mixed "How To's". But I took some tips I received here on the forums, weeded out what I thought sounds right, and tossed the rest.

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

Approx. Time: 30 minutes

Products Used:
    Cleaner Wax - A12
    Safe D-Greaser w/Foaming Sprayer
    Hyper Dressing
    Glad Cling-Wrap (Yes, the stuff my wife uses for leftovers)
    High Tech Applicator
    Parts Cleaning Brush
    Water (from the hose)
    Elbow Grease (Please don't ask where you can buy this at)

Important!! I covered both sides of the fenders on my truck. Safe D-Greaser mixed 4:1 (Which I used) will remove wax if it gets on your finish.

I started by warming the truck up a little (warm not hot to touch). I then placed the Cling wrap over the alternator, fuse box, and battery terminals. I attacked the roof under the hood first, by spraying Safe D-Greaser all over. I took a kitchen sponge (I thought my brush was to stiff too use on the paint), and began working the degreaser in. I then hosed the degreaser off. I dried off the hood with my shop vac, and some towels. I proceed to apply Cleaner Wax (A-12) under the hood with a High Tech Applicator, and left to dry.

While the Cleaner Wax was still on under the hood, I proceeded to the engine. I sprayed the engine down (with no nozzle or sprayer just let the water pour out on very low). I followed the same step with the Safe D-Greaser, and sprayed all over. I then took my parts cleaning brush, and agitated the degreaser. I then rinsed the degreaser off. I used my Shop Vac to blow the areas out where water sat in pools. I then removed the cling wrap, and started my vehicle again for about 5 minutes. This helps the drying process. I towel dried any areas the still had water sitting (very few areas). I then applied the Hyper Dressing in the same manner all over, but avoiding spraying on the belts. I let it sit for about 10 minutes. During this time I went back to the roof under the hood, and removed the cleaner wax with a Terry towel. After that was complete, I went back to the engine. This time rubbing in the Hyper Dressing making sure it's even and not pooling up in any areas. I then closed the hood and had some lunch. When I came back to inspect my work, I was amazed

Here are the before pics:

Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

And now the before and afters:

Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

One Last shot:

Not perfect, but I was very satisfied!!

Enjoy, Magic

Comment

Looks great.. just another good reason to have cleaner wax laying around.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey Magic

The engine looks fantastic!! Better than when it was new!

I hope you don't mind but I am going to move this thread into the Show Off forum where others can be inspired!

Again, great job!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks...

I hadn't realized that I put it in the wrong area..

Comment

I think my truck runs better when the engine bay is detailed!!
              http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Good job!
                I'm also looking into detailing my engine somewhere closer to summer. Good write-up.

Though I'm a bit afraid that I'll forget to cover something up. What about I cover things up I think that should be protected from water but after I detail the engine I wait 24hrs before I start the car, will there be still a risk?

Oh and I do feel the same way, whenever I cleaned / polished / waxed my vehicle, "she" seems to run better than before (changing oil also does wonders )
                Last edited by Tom Claessens; Apr 25, 2006, 03:46 AM.
                showroomglaze.net

Comment

Originally posted by madsekci
                  Though I'm a bit afraid that I'll forget to cover something up. What about I cover things up I think that should be protected from water but after I detail the engine I wait 24hrs before I start the car, will there be still a risk?
                  The main reason you start your vehicle up right after a detail, is to help the drying process. If you did get water where it doesn't belong, this helps evaporate the water. If water does foul something, you wouldn't want it sitting for 24hrs!!

Comment

Great job!! I have all the supplies to do that to my Ranger, but lack the motivation at the moment. Maybe that will change this weekend!
                    2003 Mach 1
                    Azure Blue
                    5 speed/IUP
                    2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
                    KY Horsepower

Comment

WOW, what a huge difference! I am going to detail my engine this weekend

Comment

looks AWESOME MATE

NICE WORK!!!

Comment

Looking good. What what you use if you had some pretty heavy dirt ? From dried mud for example. Im thinking just a little more elbow grease.
                          www.dirtballsgarage.com

Comment

Re: Engine Detail

Looked at O'Reillys today and while they have a lot of Meg product along with several other brands of stuff, I didn't see any hyper dressing, A12 or Safe d greaser. In fact the engine cleaning stuff was on the other side of the store and mostly spray solvents. Since this will be my first engine and it's on an old 95 mitsubishi mirage beater that leaks oil, perfection is not the goal. What I am looking for mostly is practice and experience and I expect anything I do will be a huge improvement ,however short lived. Any suggestions on decent substitutes? I'll be looking around and/or ordering the good stuff, but I want to get this one going right away.

Comment

Re: Engine Detail

Big diffrence! Nice job.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');