• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to repair or not to be repaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to repair or not to be repaired

This is the roof line of a 98 Mitsu Eclipse GS. original paint, These spots are from my mom washing my brothers car with sop detergent adn I was wondering if these spots could be repaired. They feel really rough

and heres a close up on the worse spot

if it cant be repaired I know that it would have to be repainted, But since Im the only amature detailer in the family I wanted to save the paint, this car would have been mine if I would not haev pointed it out to my brother, since he saw that I liked it he got it.
    Last edited by BlueTooth; May 25, 2006, 01:02 PM.

looks like a clear coat failure
    your only choice is to repaint
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Looks that way to me too
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

That's not from a one time washing with detergent, it's from years of exposure, neglect and maybe a bunch of washings with detergent.

In the darker spots the clear coat has failed completely and exposed the base coat. The cloudy areas are severely deteriorated clear coat.

You can make some of it look better and maybe there are other parts to the car that can be made to look pretty good but, like the others said, the bottom line is that it needs a new paint job.

PC.

Comment

thats what I thought too, but the roof is only part of the car thats "deteriorating" the rest looks pretty new, all it really needs is a good polish adn wax job, I think that it has only been waxed only once. SInce my mom likes to use detergent I asked her to stop but she didnt adn this happened, so I hid all the detergent away until it was needed for dishes.... adn I bought her car wash soap... I wish that i could have saved the paint but its too late. Wish I could have become car crazy a little eariler. Thanks anyways you guys

Comment

Ut Oh ....better get Macco
            RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by RZ Autodetailing
              Ut Oh ....better get Macco
              lol you mine as well go to walmart and buy auto spray paint and do it yourself. Oh the horror stories i heard and seen about that place. . Kid i knew worked there and they dont even wash the car before they paint it and they dont do your door jams or under the trunk. As the ol' saying goes, what you pay for is what you get.

Comment

i was just kiddin....i would never recommend someone to go there...
                RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by RZ Autodetailing
                  i was just kiddin....i would never recommend someone to go there...
                  I know, i was just telling newbies who don't know much about maaco how they are. Some people look at it like damn 190 bucks to paint my whole car, now thats a deal. After 2 weeks tho they go outside and look at their car and they're like seeing all the paint peeling off. I figure that most ppl here know that though

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');