• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 Mazda Tribute Detail Job, with a twist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Mazda Tribute Detail Job, with a twist!

This little SUV was in horrible shape when it was put into my hands. Owed by a local Animal Vet who used it to cart around dogs and cats all over. The exterior showed extreme signs of abuse... A LOT of dog and cat scratches and what seemed to be a rather excessive amount of rock chips on the rocker panels. The interior was just as bad.. grey leather that was abused by many many animals and the rear storage area was used as a travel kennel.. hence the grate marks on the rear head rests and tons of scratches all over the plastics.

I knew immediately this one was going to be a HUGE handfull!

Heres some befores, as always.

I sectioned off half the hood and worked my magic. Heres some examples.

*note.. got myself a Brinkman Dual Xenon. Neat little tool.*

Half and half pics.

Untouched side with Xenon light.

Finished side with Xenon light.

Finished pics. I took 100 pictures during this detail. Sometimes I go overboard but I know pics are worth 1000 words when the difference is this big.

Remember this fender? Check the before pics for the massive scratches that were there before.

Hey... theres that fender again!

What the heck am I doing putting pics of the SS in here? Yeah.. its a reflection shot.

Dont believe it? Ill back up a bit so you can see for yourself.

Now.. I said there was a TWIST.

This SUV was brought home by my neighbor, his house is in the reflection shot, it was owned by a friend of his. My friend was road testing it for a local Ford dealership because it had a brand new motor installed, due to dealer fault on a service. Shortly after the engine was installed, like 20miles later, they decided to sell it and get a RAV4.

My wife has been looking for a CRV, Escape, Tribute, etc.. for some time now. My neighbor talked it up with her telling her it was for sale... little did she know I already told him Id buy it. So I bring the Tribute over to my house and start detailing it... I told her the owner had sold it but the buyer wanted it detailed. Needles to say she was upset that I didnt buy it, let alone talk to her about it. So I spent a good 9hrs on this thing and evertime she walked by me in the garage shed shake her head. After I was done detailing it her and I decided to go to dinner... and when she walked into the garage I asked her "Do you want to drive the Civic or your new truck?" Anyways.. she was very happy and almost started crying.

Pretty cool little story. Im happy.. shes happy.. we got a nice new ride out of it all.
    Last edited by Michael Stoops; Apr 27, 2010, 01:58 PM. Reason: family friendly language
    ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
    561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
    --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
    --

excellent job !what was your process if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Thanks!

Process...

Exterior:

Wash with GC

Dried with water magnet

Clay with Megs Blue Clay and QD

#83 with G100 x 2 and x3 in some areas.

#80 with G100 x 2

#26 paste with G100 X 1

G100 with MF bonnet to remove #26

PlastX on the headlights and tail lights

Interior:

APCP on everything!

Stoner Glass Cleaner on the glass

I must say.. APCP is one helluva product! It removed things that I didnt think would ever come off. Deffinately one of my new favorites... and it smells nice too!
      Last edited by 35th Anniversary SS; Aug 8, 2006, 12:02 AM.
      --

Comment

Nice work!

It's always good to keep the wife happy. I imagine you really felt good when you told her that it was really her truck. What a great surprise!
        -Bob
        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

good job!!
          congrats on your wifes new ride
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by 35th Anniversary SS
            Thanks!

I must say.. APCP is one helluva product! It removed things that I didnt think would ever come off. Deffinately one of my new favorites... and it smells nice too!

I love it too! The orange scent is very nice.

Great job by the way!

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but what Is APCP?
              ppalis@comcast.net

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Marauder302
                Pardon my ignorance but what Is APCP?
                All Purpose Cleaner Plus, Detailer line. I bought a gallon last time I ordered from ADS, really glad I did.

I diluted it pretty strong for this job, thought I would need it strong, but I totally underestimated this stuff.
                Last edited by 35th Anniversary SS; Aug 8, 2006, 10:18 AM.
                --

Comment

Incredible job on the Tribute, and a great story too. The reflection shot of your SS is insane!

Comment

Wow awesome work!

Thats nice what you didi for your wife!

Comment

Looks absolutely awesome, what a difference! By the way, how do you like the Xenon light? Do you find it is as effective as the sun when looking for swirls?
                      '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 96Lude
                        Looks absolutely awesome, what a difference! By the way, how do you like the Xenon light? Do you find it is as effective as the sun when looking for swirls?
                        Thanks!

Im not so sure the Xenon is better then the direct sunlight but it works perfectly fine for indoor use, or even when the sun isnt available to use outside. Its deffinately worth the $30 or so. Just the fact that I did my Xenon tests at night in the garage proves it works great. Also... if I dont have to back the vehicle in and out to check the paint, then it tells me its money well spent.
                        --

Comment

that's pretty amazing what you did for your wife

and of course, awesome job on the SUV, the turn around on that thing is nuts.

Comment

Re: 2002 Mazda Tribute Detail Job, with a twist!

My mom's 2001 Tribute looks the same way...although hers is garage kept and it didn't look as bad in the befores as this one did. However, it looks incredible, and I hope your wife enjoys your new ride!
                            "When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
                            When Barry gives you Meguiar's, you get one HECK OF A SHINE!"

Comment

Re: 2002 Mazda Tribute Detail Job, with a twist!

Great work. What a tremendous difference. Loved how you surprised the wife.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');