• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** '99 Grand Prix made new again ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** '99 Grand Prix made new again ***

This was my first detail job and what a blast it has been. . The car is a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. It has spent its entire life outside because my parents have no garage. I’m pretty sure my parents haven’t washed it in a long long time. They are great with mechanical maintenance but obviously not so good with the appearance of the vehicle. I was so excited to put my brand new G-100 to the test. I’ve done so much reading on the forum and came up with a plan of attack that worked out great. I washed the car twice because it was so nasty. I then clayed the entire vehicle including headlights, turn signals, tail lights and all the glass. The paint had so many contaminants bonded to it that it took hours to completely clay the car.
    I made two passes with M83 on an 8006 pad on the roof, trunk lid, and front and rear bumpers. I made two passes with M80 on an 8006 pad on the hood, roof, and trunk lid. One pass of M80 on the rest of the car. One coat of NXT on a 9006 pad to top it all off. I removed the headlights, tail lights and the wiper cowl and hit them up with a Powerball Mini and PlastX. Tires were coated with Hot Shine from the spray bottle. Hubcaps were removed and replaced with new from GM. Wheels were spray painted gloss black before reinstalling hubcaps. Wiper arms were removed and spray painted gloss black. Wipers were replaced with new. The OEM spoiler had clearcoat failure and was removed and repainted at a local shop.
    Interior was vaccuumed, shampooed, and wiped down with cleaner. Everything was wiped down with Quick Interior Detailer. The dash, weather stripping, and rubber door seals were wiped down with #40. Windows were cleaned with Invisiglass.
    It has been a lot of work but it has really been fun. I’m satisfied that the car cannot get any better given my skills and tools at hand. Now enjoy the pictures!!
    Last edited by cnfowler; Jan 24, 2007, 08:29 PM. Reason: Pictures didn't show.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Re: *** '99 Grand Prix made new again ***

Hood after washing but before anything else. Hood, roof, and trunk were this bad.

Swirls on hood

After clay and M80

Hood test panel

Reflection off hood. Dirty section is only washed. The rest is clayed and M80.
    I love this picture.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Finished car

Comment

Pretty sharp...
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Nice work...
          Women wear shinny, men drive it...
          Click on link to see signature picture:
          http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...a/500/Tano.jpg

Comment

very nice work. The car looks very good.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks. Its been a lot of fun being able to put more life into this car. I've always been a fan of extreme makeovers no matter what it was. I'm like OctaneGuy in that the more far gone something is the more satisfying the results end up being. There's much more "wow factor" when you bring back something that everyone says can't be brought back. My father hasn't even seen the car yet and he's already saying that no one will be driving the car but him. He says he doesn't even want to drive it because it will end up getting dirty!! I guess that's a pretty good compliment, huh?

Comment

He says he doesn't even want to drive it because it will end up getting dirty!! I guess that's a pretty good compliment, huh?
                Yeah, that sure is. Nice job for your first detailing job.
                <-- In it's natural habitat

Comment

Here are some more pictures. I have over 200, but I'm trying to pick some of the more extreme ones.

Comment

Great detailing work man.

Comment

Very nice work, excellent attention to detail!

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. I'm definitely a detail freak. I'm a true believer that its the small things that make the big difference. My father picked the car up today. He was so excited that he took the day off just to come get it. He was very impressed and my mother couldn't believe it was the same car. My father was so satisfied that he gave me a $100 tip!! I already have another car lined up as a result of doing this one. Thanks guys and gals for all the knowledge that is posted daily. There was a little bit of help from all of you on this detail job. Thanks again!

Comment

Way to go cnfowler, great job. Please post some picture of your next project as soon as you are done with it.

SYDSTER

Comment

did you buy new hub caps or what? cause to me it looked like the hub cap was peeling?

Comment

Cnfowler,

Awesome job! I bet your father would get $1000 MINIMUM extra on a trade in.

What product & method did you use on the engine compartment?

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');