• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch-X vs. 83 vs. 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch-X vs. 83 vs. 80

Hello all,

I searched the forum but couldn't find what I needed...

I am planning on buffing out my truck again tomorrow, last time all the swirls didn't come out and I want them gone. I used M80, which didn't completely remove the swirls (see Detailed the Truck Today for reference).

My question is, what is more aggressive between M80, M83 and Scratch-X? I am planning on doing a test stop but just want to know where to start?

Thanks so much!!
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Re: Scratch-X vs. 83 vs. 80

Go with the M83 Have plenty of pads ready, as soon as a pad starts to get wet switch to a fresh/dry pad.
    Carve out small sections at a time

M83 doesn't allow the pad to rotate as well as M80, so use lighter pressure and buff longer.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the response, Mike

I have used M83 before and made the mistake of not having enough pads...do you think 4 pads would be enough to do an F-150 SuperCrew, or should I wait and order some more?

Thanks again!

Comment

You need more then one W-8006 for M83?? Can't you clean the pad with a terry cloth towel while the DA is on? I haven't used my DA yet but I have been reading a lot on here and didn't see you need more then one pad per product.

Comment

As the pad becomes wet, even cleaned but wet, the performance of the pad falls off, thus having plenty of clean, dry pads improves your speed because you can switch to a dry pad and be more effective with the tool and your time.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by lilblkblt04 View Post
            Thanks for the response, Mike

I have used M83 before and made the mistake of not having enough pads...do you think 4 pads would be enough to do an F-150 SuperCrew, or should I wait and order some more?

Thanks again!
            That's a lot of surface area!

Depends upon what you're doing, removing swirls works best with plenty of pads, applying a wax only requires one pad.

You could get by with 4 pads, now-a-days for a truck that size me thinks 8-12 pads would would be good if you're using a DAP and removing heavy swirls. It would be faster to go with a RB but you would still want plenty of pad. Clean, dry pads always work better then wet pads.

Recently polished out a small car using M83 with a rotary buffer to remove the swirls and as soon as the pad became wet, even with a rotary buffer, we switched to a dry pad to continue on. Used 9 W-8006 pads for the M83/RB step alone.

This was a show car, no room for error, poured 14 to 16 hours of blood, sweat and tears into just the paint, so no time for in-effectiveness.

More is better but it can be done with less pads.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the response...

I just checked my cabinet, and I have 5 8006 pads, 2 Brand New and 3 that have been used 1-2 times.

I will get as far as I can with what I have or maybe I'll split the truck in half and do half tomorrow and the other half Sunday...

The swirls aren't horrible since I did 1 pass with M80 about 3 weeks ago, but there are still signs of them.

I'll see what tomorrow has in store and decide then, but I think I will be able to get through with the 5 pads...

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');