• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1975 Corvette Extreme Makeover - The Importance of a Paint Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 Corvette Extreme Makeover - The Importance of a Paint Cleaner

1975 Corvette Extreme Makeover - The importance of a Paint Cleaner

Tuesday night, starting at 5:00pm, we will be conducting an extreme makeover on this 1975 one-owner Corvette.

This car was brought to the CorvetteForum at Meguiar's! detailing clinic this last Saturday and because of the extreme Dirt in paint condition of the finish, we used it to demonstrate the purpose of a Meguiar's paint cleaner.

You see, over time, without proper maintenance, paint can become dirty, not as in dirt on the car, but as in dirt in the paint, also known by the acronym, DIP. Dirt in paint is also referred to as road stain, or just stained paint. The point is, dirt can build up below the surface of a car's paint in the microscopic surface imperfections, which normal washing will not remove.

When this car pulled in, we inspected it closely to find out that while the owners were washing and waxing the car regularly, the wax they were using did not have any cleaning ability and thus would merely coat over the dirt in the paint, and not remove it.

Also, two portions of the car have been repainted, the front valance, and the rear valance. Extraordinarily enough, the body shop that repainted these portions did not afterwards buff out the rest of the car so that the old, stained and oxidized paint would match the new paint in color and gloss.

Often times, a body shop will buff the entire car out as a courtesy to the customer and so that there isn't such a dramatic difference between new and old paint. Because a lot of times these types of buff-outs are done quickly, the quality of the work and the chemicals used can be questionable. In a way, the owners of this Corvette are lucky that the rest of the panels were not buffed out, as we're going to do it the right way using premium quality products and professional techniques which will takes this Corvettes finish to its maximum potential!

Below are some before pictures. Note the car was washed before it was driven to Saturday's detailing clinic. The dirt, or staining you see in the paint, not on the paint.

Here is a close-up of the finish. The black or grayish looking area is actually dirt that has built-up in the paint.

While the above photo's show some areas where the dirt is concentrated, the entire finish is stained with dirt in paint.

The below picture shows a circular area where we applied some ScratchX, an advanced Meguiar's paint cleaner for use by hand.

Later, towards the end of the class, we polished out one half of the hood using some #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish on a W-8006 foam polishing pad on Meguiar’s G-100. The results between before and after are dramatic. The results also help to demonstrate the concept of dirt in paint and the importance of choosing the correct product for maintaining your car's finish.

Below you can see the new paint on the front valance, versus the old paint on the hood. Note how the old paint is dull and lifeless with no gloss whereas the new paint is vibrant in color with high gloss.

We will be using and demonstrating a wide variety of products for the extreme makeover of this one-owner 1975 Corvette. If you would like to be a part of the team that performs the dramatic transformation, the come on down to Meguiar’s Garage this coming Tuesday night.

Here's the address,

Meguiar’s address for Mapquest Driving Directions
    Meguiar’s Inc
    17991 Mitchell South
    Irvine, CA 92614

The transformation begins at 5:00pm, see you here!

Mike
    mphillips@meguiars.com

Note: The acronym DIP and the term dirt in paint is also used in the refinishing industry to describe dirt and dust that lands in fresh paint and becomes embedded in the top surface as the paint continues to dry. After the paint has dried, professional body shops will remove the dirt specs usually by sanding and buffing.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Is there any experience required in the detailing business? I am 17 and the largest detail I have ever done was on a neighbors 1989 Toyota. I just bought a PC and want some tips.
    I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
    Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

Originally posted by NewlyCarCrazy
      Is there any experience required in the detailing business? I am 17 and the largest detail I have ever done was on a neighbors 1989 Toyota. I just bought a PC and want some tips.
      For many detailers, experience is gained through on the job training and a few lessons at "The School of Hard Knocks".

What Meguiar's tries to do is to help reduce the time you spend at the School of Hard Knocks. While the lessons taught there are valuable, if you can learn proper surface evaluation, product selection and proper application and removal technique, you will be years ahead in the experience area...

Like someone one said,

"Try to learn from other peoples mistakes, you may not live long enough to make them all on your own"

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Finished!

And tonight's Extreme Makeover Team!

Greg and Mike

Process pictures and write-up tomorrow...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Bump!

More pictures tomorrow!

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, did you get the pictures I sent?

Greg

Comment

Yes, check your e-mail.

I'll be posting some more pictures of the process today. Thanks for letting us buff out your car.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Me likey yellow! Nice Work!
                SRT-10 Silver

Comment

I love yellow cars. What a great job you did on this car!
                  NXToholic

Comment

Wow, it's been awhile since it happened, but pictures are still just as good. With school and work, I just got swamped and couldn't post until now. So, here's our final work in sunlight:

The sun was setting when I took this so I couldn't get a real shiny picture, but look at the richness in color.

Same time frame, different area of car:

Now, here's where I'm most impressed. For as long as I've been driving this car, it's never looked this good. You can see clear up our front yard in the reflection. This was taken about mid-day and the shine is amazing. Keep in mind that this is ~20 year old single-stage laquer. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I know I've said it before, but I'd like to thank Mike at Meguiar's again for such a great opportunity and Mike from the corvette forum for lending a hand. It looks spectacular and I can't wait to drive it around again at Thanksgiving

Next step is the engine compartment

Comment

looks great

good to see another CSULB student
                      Chopped 55 Suburban
                      99 3.0 CL
                      Family cars:
                      1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
                      48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
                      New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
                      Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
                        looks great
                        Thanks

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
                        good to see another CSULB student
                        Well, not quite. There's also a Berkeley engineering sticker if you look at the right of the rear window. That's me. CSULB sticker is part of a legacy left by my mom when she owned the car.

But I am from HB

Comment

sweet
                          Chopped 55 Suburban
                          99 3.0 CL
                          Family cars:
                          1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
                          48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
                          New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
                          Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

Very nice........ I will be the same thing to my vette. I hope mine turns out half as good.

Rob
                            1985 C4 Corvette
                            1990 Jeep Wrangler
                            1998 Ford Expedition
                            2000 Grand Cherokee
                            2000 Harley Fatboy

"He who dies with the most toys wins!"

Pics of my Vette

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');