• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100 Not rotating.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100 Not rotating.....

I was curious, if anyone read my 2001 Excursion in the show off.

I had tremendous problems with my G100 while doing this beast. I used it before on my Neon and had similar problems, just not at the scale or size of the Excursion. I used the recommended pressures, centered the pad, pressed on a towel inbetween adding product to soak up residual. I laid a bead in a circle about an inch inboard from the pad (6" pads) and very little pressure, the pad would stop rotating. I figured operator error, but the more I tried to make sure I was centered, no build up of product, tried different products on different pads (80-8006/9-8006/83-8006) with no different results. At one point the pad spun, but I wasn't doing any good as just the center of the pad was touching the paint. I had originaly suspected my 80 was bad. I got a gallon of 80 with my gift certificate and made sure to mix it up until I got a nose bleed and poured into a 8oz squeeze bottle. It's really liquidy and almost immediately soaks into the pad. Not like 83 or 9 does.

It's just frustrating. I did spin the G100 with just a pad and didn't take much to stop it. When I did stop using the G100, I had better results using ScratchX by hand. I tried my rotary with 80 but it really slung, it was raining 80 on me but hardly any touched the car. I thought 80 wasn't that liquidy.

Anyways......

I was curious if there was anything else I should try.....I don't use the side handle, I hold at the head with my left hand (I'm a lefty) and hold the body of the maching with my right. I used my right hand to steady the machine and use my left to make sure it's centered and flat. I spent more time doing that than seeing if my product was being spread right. I've seen video's where the pad is pressured and distorts the pad. I try that, it stops for sure...

I thought of mailing my G100 to you guys and see if it's me or the machine. I am the type to not cause complications until I weed out the problem. Such as if you get it, works fine for you then it's me and send it back. I've read a ton, looked a ton of video's of others using the PC/G100/7424 etc and they push down to distort the pad slightly and it still spins. I did one pass of ScratchX by hand on the beast, took me 1 1/2 hours for that and fought the G100 for 2 hours. I just had enough sunlight and warmth that the 26 went on and gummed up a second before spreading. It was cold. LOL. Looks good though

Your customer service is excellent and will follow any instructions I can. Just wanted your input before calling customer support.

Signed....
    Frustrated.

Aaron

NOTE: I am leaving to watch my Niners play the Bengals at the 'Stick so I won't be home this afternoon thru Sunday.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: G100 Not rotating.....

Nothing like #80 should "soak into" the pad. It should have the consistency like the other Cleaners, Polishes, and Waxes.

Comment

80's pretty thick stuff. If I put it on a 8006 pad, you can see it puddle on the pad before getting squished onto the surface.

Mort

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
        Nothing like #80 should "soak into" the pad. It should have the consistency like the other Cleaners, Polishes, and Waxes.
        It's definately thinner than 9 or 83, I did make sure to shake the bottle up (it's the gallon size) and the whole gallon and my little bottles are the same consistancy.

Originally posted by Mort Corey View Post
        80's pretty thick stuff. If I put it on a 8006 pad, you can see it puddle on the pad before getting squished onto the surface.

Mort
        It's not too thick, I would put it on the pad and it would start to soak into the pad before I even turned the pad over to "kiss" the paint with it. Unless my pads, 80 are bad???? not sure. I just want to weed out possible problems. I am willing to mail my PC to Meg's and let the Pro's use it to see if it's me or the machine.

Thanks for the replies.

Aaron
        Last edited by Nappers; Dec 17, 2007, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I would say #80 is thinner than #83, but even if for some reason your #80 isn't any good and is too thin, I still don't see how that would keep the G100 from rotating completely. It seems to me that something is wrong with yours.
          Lydia's Mobile Detailing
          Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
          2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

I would agree that 80 would be thinner than 83 (as it's less aggressive, my theory anyways LOL) but your right about it not spinning. I called customer support and they advised to send the G100 back and they will send a new one. I told them what I did, how much product, how much pressure and how much reading I do. I also told them that it could very well be me that's not working, not the machine. They still said to send it back...

So....I guess I'll send it back. I hope they send it to Meguiars garage and let the gang test it and make sure it's not the machine and it's me.....

L8R

Aaron

Comment

Just bumping this and see what any MOL has to say, I did call CS and they said to send it back, but I would rather fix operator error than send back a good machine. I did what I thought would be right.

Kinda like to send it to Meg's and let the boys use it but.....not sure.

Aaron

Comment

Aaron from the way you are describing things, I would have to think its the machine. Send it back. Let them weed out that variable. If its so easy to stop it from rotating I would lean to it being the machine. Enjoy the game.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks, the game was the 15th, we had a ball, that was our Christmas present to each other. I did get some Meg's stuff from the kids, applicator pads and some MF towels.

I guess I'll send it back. Just wanted peeps opinion that it wasn't me so I don't send back a good machine and be a pain. I hate that. LOL. Guess thats why I'm a jailer and not in sales.

MAN I can't wait to attend an open garage to smooth things over. saving my money for that. Wife wants a bed, my truck needs fixed, my new(Old) motorcycle needs some TLC, too much stuff, not enough cash. LOL.

Thanks.

Aaron

Comment

Where you at with this Aarron?

Once in a while there's a bad PC out of the box, I've seen it happen more than once, but it's not the norm.

Any chance you can come to the Batmobile Fun Day next weekend or our Open Class on the 26th?
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have the G100 boxed and ready to ship. It's snowing off and on. Haven't had a chance to try it again. It's been really cold.

I'm trying to weed out all possibilities as I don't like it when people send stuff back when it's operator error. I can say that when it's spinning on 5, I can easily grab the pad and stop it, thus when I put very little pressure on the pad with product on the flat panels of a Ford Excursion, it stopped. I spent more time making sure it was perfectly flat on the surface and still no rotating. I've seen videos online and others smash the pad down, not hold it steady and it appears to spin easily. I put a hash mark on the pads with a sharpie and it only oscillated. Very frustrating. Ran into the same problem with our Neon, I contributed that to operator error. I figured I could do further testing on the Excursion as it's so flat. I ended up using ScratchX by hand and got better results. Again, I used a small bead about an inch inboard from the edge of the pad, kissed the paint with the pad, turned it on tried to work it in. The 80 I had was liquidy, hence my thread on the 80. I was just weeding out any possible problems. I think the 80 is fine. the 9 and 83 are a tad thicker. I washed my pads and rinsed very good and only used them twice and a dedicated pad for each product AND soaked the pad after every application on an old bath towel.

I won the machine and very greatful for it, I just don't want to send back a good machine if it's operator error.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Sadly, I work nights at the ol lock up on the 5th, trying to get the 26th off for my nephews birthday and can't make the open garage on that date. February may look better for that one, but money is tight for me at the moment, I wouldn't mind driving the Neon down there and bring my G100 down to see if it's me. It's only 679 miles I'm in no hurry as it's snowing right now. LOL. Unless you want me to send the machine back. I explained the above to CS and they said to send it.

Hope you have fun on the Batmobile and let me know how you liked the labels or if you need more.

Aaron

Comment

When you ship it back, please include a note to deliver to Brian Hann and I'll as him to get it to me. We will check this unit out in the garage and tell you whether it's the machine or operator error.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          When you ship it back, please include a note to deliver to Brian Hann and I'll as him to get it to me. We will check this unit out in the garage and tell you whether it's the machine or operator error.

Thanks Mike, will do.

If it's me, then ship the machine back with a photo of me with an "L" on the forehead

I'll ship it this Monday as I'm stuck at work thru saturday.

L8R

Aaron

Comment

Just wanted to extend a heartfelt thanks to Mike in the testing of my G100. I had some troubles with it and wanted to eliminate any problems starting with the machine itself. I shipped it to Mike and he used it at an open garage and it worked normal for his experience (which speaks for itself) and he is sending it back to me with the new backing plate. I need to practice eh???

Thanks for the great customer support. I would have sent it back to get a new one, but was pretty sure it was operator error and hate to send back a good machine when there was nothing wrong with it. THEN! get the same results with the new machine, getting frustrated etc etc.

Thanks Mike and Meguiars.

Aaron

Comment

There's a washer/spacer on the backing plate. I have seen ones that needed two such washers so the backing plate didn't touch. Could that be it?

Just throwing that out there.
                              Tic

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');