• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

When it comes to detailing cars for profit there are three general camps,

• Production work
    • High-end work
    • Show Car Detailing
    A lot of detailers start out doing production work and as their skill level increases and they begin to establish their reputation, they are able to move up to high-end detailing where they are able to offer higher quality work which usually includes a multi-step paint polishing process and thus a higher price. In some cases doing production work can be more profitable because you an work faster, do less to the car and your customers expectations are not going to be as high because of the price you're charging.

Generally speaking, (but not always), the people doing production work are either just starting out, or working for someone else and often times both. Because they are paid by the hour or by the car, they often times don't have the monetary incentive to pour their heart and soul into their work, nor are they able to experience the self-satisfaction and pride that comes from a job well done. For this reason, over time every car becomes just another car. There is no connection, there is no reason to give it their all, every car becomes an exercise in speed, as in how fast can they get the job done, not how well can they do the job.

Another category of detailing is what you would call Show Car Detailing. This would involve doing your best work for typically special interest vehicles where the owner wants and expects a show car finish and understands that to achieve this kind of finish, it requires the person doing the work to have a high skill level and a excellent working knowledge of what I call the 3 P's, Paint, Products & Procedures.

Of course the owners of special interest cars understand that professional quality work also comes at a premium price. At the end of the day, the value is in the results achieved, but if you want to drill down a little deeper, then what the customer is really paying for, (and in other words, the real value), is the peace of mind the owner obtains knowing that their car is in the hands of a skilled professional. It is this confidence the detailer provides the owner, that enables the owners to hand them the keys and walk away without fear.

Besides confidence, a professional detailer also brings to the table their soul, by this I mean a true craftsman of the art of polishing paint brings to his craft the human elements of care and passion.

The human elements of caring about the quality of your work, and having a true passion for the craft, is a mindset. This mindset is a way of thinking that is an unconscious reflex similar to breathing. By this we mean, just like none of us ever have to think about breathing because it's an automatic reflex that is a part of our physiology, for the craftsman, doing their very best work for every car they touch is an unavoidable reflex... it's in their blood.

For myself, when I work on another person's car, I mentally adopt the car as if it were my own. After making this intellectual commitment and emotional attachment towards both the vehicle and the owner of the vehicle, everything else, (the work to be performed), becomes second-nature, I simply treat their car exactly like I would treat my own car, because at some level, it is now my car.

This is the mindset of any true professional no matter what their profession. It's never about the money… it's always about the passion.

When it comes to polishing the paint on special interest vehicles, there is no room for error. This is because automotive paints are a thin, delicate film coating; they are easily dulled and easily swirled and scratched, once they are dulled down or instilled with scratches, it requires the right products and techniques to remove the defects and restore a show car shine. You are limited to what you can do by how thick the working film-build of the paint is, this is why we always say, "It's all about the paint".

There is a point of no return when working on paint. Once you've gone past this point, the only true solution is to apply more paint and this can be quite expensive, especially when it's someone else's car we're talking about and not your own!

If you're reading this and you're looking to learn more about the art of polishing paint, then you have come to the right place. MeguiarsOnline isn't just another detailing discussion forum… (there's plenty of these to choose from), no… MeguiarsOnline is a place you can learn more about the art of polishing paint.

Hang around, read the forum, assimilate the information… adopt the mindset of a professional…

"It's all about the paint"

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

Nice post Mike! Its not by chance that automotive manufactures spend a great deal of money on paint finishes and research on those finishes. After all...when the average person enters a lot or showroom...what is usually the first thing that draws their attention to a new car?

While paint is an important aspect of detailing, the interior is a weak point for many detailers. Remember, the retail customer will view the interior for far greater periods of time and people have their own pet peeves.

Today's interiors are becoming more and more challenging and domestic vehicle manufactures are using new materials that are nearly impossible to clean unless you really know about both the material and the chemicals that will work to clean those materials!

The "old ways" of interior detailing are a thing of the past. New technology chemicals, Vapor Steamers and a host of other tools are replacing the old ways of soaking carpets and sucking them dry!

As a pro detailer that services a very high end clientele...I can share that people come to us for our paint work but keep coming back to us time and time again due to our interiors!

Again...great post Mike!
    Renny Doyle
    Attention To Details
    "Detailers of Air Force One"
    www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Re: The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

Great post Mike. Its that "passion" I take to everything I do and in the case of car finishes have learned so much from your class and this forum I am gearing up to start my own detailing business.

I have been practicing on my own cars and a few others to see how long it actually takes to complete a car. Like you said, I just can't skip any steps to get it done faster and want to exceed my future customers expectations. Unfortunately, this has left me scratching my head because it has taken me 12 hours to do a complete wash, clay, clean, polish, wax process and I never even touched the inside.

Unfortunately, the average person is not as passionate about their car as I am so all that extra work will mean nothing to them. I keep reading more and will continue to learn more and thank everyone for their posts, it all helps. My goal is to work on cars that people truely do care about but as you mentioned the trust factor has to be built so lower end work is the obvious starting point.

I know I will figure everything out between the classes I have and will take along with this forum. Thanks again all.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');