• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal Particles embedded in wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Particles embedded in wheel?

There was an issue with one of my rear brakes in that the caliper was stuck on side so it wore through the brake pad really quick on the inside part and it was scraping the metal backing plate against the rotor. It was doing this for a few weeks and now my wheel's finish feels really rough. It's like the wheel has the grinded metal particles/dirt stuck in the finish.

I took the wheel off and tried soaking with simple green for a bit. Then I hit it with the pressure washer. Some of it came off, but it still feels really rough. I even tried clay bar'ing it but it was tough to rub the clay. It pretty much didn't want to move.

Any product/technique you guys can recommend?
    '97 Mustang GT
    Black/Black leather

Re: Metal Particles embedded in wheel?

Even though it was tough to clay it, was it working?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt97GT View Post

I even tried clay bar'ing it but it was tough to rub the clay. It pretty much didn't want to move.

Any product/technique you guys can recommend?
      Sounds like metal particles have melted into the clear coat paint on your wheels? That's a tough problem to fix as the metal particles will be harder than what most if not all clay will be able to remove.

You might have to either learn to live with the problem or have the wheel re-finished.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Sounds like metal particles have melted into the clear coat paint on your wheels? That's a tough problem to fix as the metal particles will be harder than what most if not all clay will be able to remove.

You might have to either learn to live with the problem or have the wheel re-finished.

What about body solvant? Do you think that could loosen it at all?

I have a mini mother's powerball (works great on 5 spoke wheels). I was thinking of using that with DACP and trying to polish it out.
        '97 Mustang GT
        Black/Black leather

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Wouldn't Wheel Brightener (with the proper safety precautions) remove that?

Comment

I do not believe anything will remove metal that embedded itself in the CC. Like make said, if its bad enough then re-finishing or getting a new rim is really an only option.

Did you not know this was happening over the course of a few weeks? I had a rear caliper lock up and I realized it within 10minutes of it happening. Ordered a new caliper and had it on the next day.
            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

The problem mentioned here is why some people choose a wheel coated with chrome or is polished aluminum.

Both are un-effected by problems like this and as long as you keep the chrome clean it will last a long time, as long as you polish the aluminum it will last a long time and look good too.

Coated wheels of any type will always be more susceptible to problems and harder to maintain over time.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                I do not believe anything will remove metal that embedded itself in the CC. Like make said, if its bad enough then re-finishing or getting a new rim is really an only option.
                But that is what wheel or decon acid does, is dissolve the metal. It won't restore the pit that's in the paint, but it will get the metal out. I have had good success with less-effective acids than what is in Meguiar's Wheel Brightener in removing not only brake dust, but backing plate residue, as was described.

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                Did you not know this was happening over the course of a few weeks? I had a rear caliper lock up and I realized it within 10minutes of it happening.
                I have seen where one of the guide pins sticks and the pad wears in a wedge shape and the backing plate contacts at one end while there is still plenty of pad at the other end--if you're looking at the wrong end, it looks like the pad is good, and there isn't a lot of noise, etc. It happened on my friend's car and the telltale was the rusty residue on the wheel (instead of the more brown brake dust color).

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');