• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My german house guest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My german house guest

A friend at work moved to Chicago in January and needed a place to store his car over the winter. Since I have a 4 car garage and at the time, only 3 cars, I had the room to help him out. Ever since he bought this car, it was hard to look at since it's a black car and swirled bad, real bad. I never had the time or place to last summer, so now is the perfect time to take care of it. My plan was never to make it perfect, since it will be driven up to Chicago, but I wanted to improve the condition it is in now.

Here is a perfect example of how the picture angle can hide how bad the paint really is:

Paint looks great, right? This is how the paint really looks:

First order of business was to clay bar the entire car. To the touch, the paint felt okay, but after testing with the front of the car, I decided the whole thing needed claying.

Front:

Rear:

Next I taped the car and covered the roof with plastic to keep from having to clean product splatter from the cloth.

After a test area, I decided that M80, would do the trick. The rear trunk and fenders needed a 2nd pass. The speed glaze removed much of the swirls, but there were some deep scratches that only a more aggressive product or a rotary buffer would touch, but I'm not worried about those.

The car is not perfect, but perfect paint + black car = a car that is never driven. It is a huge improvement, and my friend said it looked better than the day he bought it.

These first were from Monday, just before it rained. I wanted to wash the car to get rid of any buffing dust that was on the car.

Yes this is a reflection shot of the house next door.

A few swirls, but about 98% fewer than when I started.

I'm sad to see the car go, but now I have an extra spot in the garage.

Re: My german house guest

Great car and job mate...
    I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

SYDSTER

Comment

Job well done, great improvement!

Comment

That is a huge improvement. Great work. I bet his owner was very pleased. Way to go.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Where did you get that Q-Zar sign?!?! I haven't seen one of those in YEARS.

Nice car and fantastic job on the paint correction.
            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                Where did you get that Q-Zar sign?!?! I haven't seen one of those in YEARS.

Nice car and fantastic job on the paint correction.
                I worked at one of the Nashville locations and when it closed, we were allowed to take some parts home. The black thing behind the rules sign is a sign that was out side the front door also. I really miss playing.

Comment

Great job! I have to say when I saw the title I was a bit concerned this might be some sort of cockroach thread...

Comment

Thanks guys. I told my friend to show our CEO his car, since he drives a Boxster also.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');