• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Quick Replies! Oxidation Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Quick Replies! Oxidation Help!

I am going to be detailing a catering van soon, the owner told me to take a look at it today and the paint was oxidized. The paint is still white just oxidized as in faded, it's not warped or anything. Is there anyway I can restore the gloss and smoothness of the paint without a PC? I'm looking into rubbing compound or the new Mother's Powerball4Paint with Scratch X.

Any other tips or recommendations? He is looking into repainting it..i don't want him to waste his money

Re: Need Quick Replies! Oxidation Help!

With out a pc or rotary it will be a hard and long process but it can be done. I would suggest investing in a cheap orbital buffer if you dont want to invest in a DA. You can get one from a local autozone or auto parts store for around 30 and they usually come with wool bonnet and a foam bonnet if not get both of those. First wash and clay the car then you can move onto your ScratchX and use the wool bonnet for this. You will need to use a little pressure probably about 15-20lbs or so. Then after that you may need to go over it a few times to really get it off then you might have to hit it one last time with the foam pad to remove any light marks the wool pad has left behind. Then after that you can go ahead and apply a pure polish like #7 or DC2 by hand and finalize with the wax of your preference and that should get you decent results. I have done that method along time ago before i got into rotary and it worked out pretty good for me. Now it wont be perfect but its about the best suggestion i can give you besides using a pc or doing it by hand wich will take forever. Hope that helps
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

What year is this Van?

Most people confuse oxidatoin with clearcoat failure, if the van has clear coat failure then there's nothing you can do.

If it is truy oxidatoin than any of our cleaner/waxes will fix the problem.

Look at the pictures in this thread and see if the van looks like any of these,

The Clearcoat Failure Archive

This is oxidaton

It can be fixed

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It's an old catering van....90's i think. It's been oxidized since....'99 or so. Thanks for the tips! So attack it with ScratchX? Rubbing compound won't help?

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');