• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracks in the CC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks in the CC?

I have said in my greeting post, I have a car that I bought wrecked and rebuilt. Instead of replacing my hood with an OEM one, I opted for a VIS CF hood around 3 years ago.

I regularly washed and waxed it (washed with Black Magic car wash and waxed with Megs Gold Class), but realized that over time it became extremely hazy. Not only that but there were some severe and rather odd scratches and gouges in the hood. Something needed to be done.

Last august a friend of mine offered to help me re-clear coat my car. We wet sanded it down and then he took it into his paint booth at his body shop and sprayed 3 coats of clear, with the final being a little heavier than the rest. So we let it dry and he told me to come back the following weekend so he could finish the job (I didn't know and still don't know what he meant by that). Well I never went back because it was too far of a drive and I didn't have the time. The hood looked good, but you could still see the scratches somewhat, however they were not as pronounced and it looked as if the cc had "filled" them in.

So now, almost a year later the scratches are just as bad as before, however it is not hazy in the least bit! And since I have been using paste wax, the wax gets caught in the scratches and therefore enhances them (white wax color against a black CF hood...it is like riding around with a sign that says "LOOK AT MY SCRATCHES).

What can be done?!

I'll put some pictures for reference tomorrow when my brother brings his camera home.

Re: Cracks in the CC?

Today I went to a body shop near my job and asked the guy there what could be done about this issue.

He told me that the hood was so severely damaged that the only solution was to get rid of it and buy a new one. He said that if he tried to remove the scratches it would actually damage the CF weave, therefore it was un-fixable.

However, I am rather reluctant to believe him for three reasons:

1. His workshop, office, storage, and paint area were all in one big open room...
    2. He told me that all the different Megs products were the same thing...
    3. Finally, he told me that although claying a car is good, he believes the use of a rag and degreaser is a far superior method.

Here are pictures of the damage.

What can be done?

***This is an interesting abrasion, I am not sure what caused it?

***The damage is quite easily seen, especially in broad daylight due to the wax residue that is in the cracks.

Comment

**bump**

Comment

I'm afraid the body shop guy is right, there's no way to fix those kinds of cracks by polishing the surface.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

What's a new CF hood cost?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well I got mine for under 200 or so?

I know polishing it won't do a thing, but I was wondering if there is anything at all that can be done? Compounding it? I think using the word "crack" was a little extreme.

The thing is I would hate to throw out the hood just because it has some scratches?
            Maybe I'm too cheap?

p.s.-I tried posting some pictures but it said that I had to wait until they were approved to be posted.

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt1987 View Post
              p.s.-I tried posting some pictures but it said that I had to wait until they were approved to be posted.
              Our new spam software places any new member's posts into a moderation queue if their posts contains links or pictures, this keeps spam off the forum.

I just approved your post so it should be showing up now.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I know polishing it won't do a thing, but I was wondering if there is anything at all that can be done? Compounding it? I think using the word "crack" was a little extreme.
                If they are scratches then whether or not you can successfully sand them out and then buff out your sanding marks will depend upon how deep the scratches are, like the painter stated, if you go to far you'll run into the carbon fiber matte itself.

You could try as at this point you don't have a lot to lose. The right way would be to sand the scratches till they are gone and then remove your sanding marks, just compounding the scratches might work but you risk getting the resin real hot if you're not careful with your buffing time in one area.

Do you own a rotary buffer? Or have access to one?

You'll also need a wool cutting pad, some compound like our M105

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike! I think that is an awesome precautionary measure; some people just don't respect forums.

I agree with you that sanding would work the best. What is the process that I should follow?

I have at my disposal currently an 8in OB with foam and wool bonnets. However, I recently discovered a paint and body supply store about 10 minutes from my house that order whatever I need and get it to me within the same day.

At this point it can only teach me something

Thanks once again for the help Mike, the MOL community has been awesome!

Comment

I have at my disposal currently an 8in OB with foam and wool bonnets.
                    Now days, these tools are pretty much only good for spreading out a coat of wax, not removing sanding marks so you'll need to price some rotary buffers and let us know when you get one.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Awesome!
                      Tomorrow when I'm out getting some basic supplies to help clean up my brother's Mach I'll see what I can find.

Any suggestions as which brand/model to look out for? I have never been in the market for RBs so I'm not too sure what to look for I have read the different threads about the differences, but in your opinion what would you recommend? I wouldn't be doing this for a profession, just a hobby I guess you could say.

Comment

Any suggestions as which brand/model to look out for? I have never been in the market for RBs so I'm not too sure what to look for I have read the different threads about the differences, but in your opinion what would you recommend? I wouldn't be doing this for a profession, just a hobby I guess you could say.
                        \
                        Do a search using Rotary Buffer as your search term in this forum...

Questions about using rotary buffers to remove sanding marks and other serious paint defects.

If you don't have a big budget for detailing supplies then do a search for the terms,

Harbor Freight

Just to note, the hood you're hoping to fix is a really a lost cause, all your time, energy and money would be better spent getting a new hood or just leave it in the bank and drive the car.

FWIW

:I
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Out of curiosity, is this a BMW? I have seen the same issue a lot lately with a company that made low end carbon fiber coated hoods for bimmers.

Comment

I think I threw up a little looking at those pics.
                            If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, .... is he still wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Nolan_k View Post
                              I think I threw up a little looking at those pics.
                              Your not the only one. lol That is a shame.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');