• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UV/Protectant For Tonneau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV/Protectant For Tonneau?

Hey guy's:
    I have an Extang Blackmax Tonneau(Red). It's a vinyl rollup. Which MG product would be best suited for maintance. I have used mg40&marine57. Both are fantastic, but i'm concerned about the 57&40 being petroleum based(which i've heard could have a bad impact on materials). Are the 40&57 petroleum based? What would work best for this tonneau?

Many Thanks:
    Don
    05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD
    Exterior Mods:Hood Protector/Willmore Quad Length Nerfs/Debaged/KnockOff Euro Tails/SilverStars-Fr,Rr, and Fogs/Extang BlackMax Tonneau-Red/Color Matched Handles,Mirrors,Cowl,Antenna Thingy/Chrome Ram Logo Valve Stem Caps(Red)/Recon Smoked Rooflights(Colormatched-Red)

Re: UV/Protectant For Tonneau?

Where did you hear they were petroleum based?

Not that that's a bad thing. I just put some petroleum based Chapstick on my lips to keep them from getting chapped.

So much inaccurate information floating around on all the forums...

Oh well, keeps us busy...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

M40 is water-based, not sure about M57 but it's probably the same as they are very similar products except M57 is geared more for surfaces that are going to get wet so it won't make vinyl slippery if it does get water on it.

Our chemists include the appropriate amount of UV protection ingredients in all our products as they know what you want and what the surface your protecting needs.

That's straight from the head chemist.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

More...

As far as petroleum distillate go in general here is a portion of the Meguiar’s FAQ that addresses this topic.

Question 29 - I have been told that products that contain petroleum distillates are bad for my car’s finish. What does Meguiar’s have to say about this considering some of your products list petroleum distillates in the “Caution Statement” on the back labels?

Answer
        Petroleum distillates are a huge category that includes thousands of products. In fact, the term refers to anything that comes from the distillation, or cracking process, of petroleum crude oil.

This includes gasoline, propane, paint thinners, mineral oils, paraffin wax, baby oil, Vaseline® and even Chap-Stick® just to name a few.

As you can see by the ingredients listed in Chap Stick® brand lip balm, (Petrolatums are a petroleum distillate), broad generalizations stating "all Petroleum Distillates are bad" is just as disingenuous as stating "Silicones are Harmful".

All of the above-mentioned products fall under the category of Petroleum Distillates. While some petroleum distillates can be very dangerous, others are very safe. To group all petroleum distillates into one category and label them harmful or dangerous is unfair. Like the dishonest claim that silicones are harmful, claiming that all petroleum distillates are harmful is also dishonest and disingenuous.

While it's likely there are car care products on the market that do use inexpensive solvents derived from petroleum crude oil in their formula's, Meguiar’s only uses ingredients, including petroleum distillates, that are combined in a way to create a product that is beneficial to the surface for which the product is intended to be used on. In other words, the product improves or creates beauty, it does not diminish or lessen beauty. Because we work closely with automotive paint companies, we know how to protect and maximize all aspects of automotive surface coatings as well as other components such as vinyl, rubber and plastic.

The petroleum distillates Meguiar’s uses are:

· Environmentally Safe
        · Contain No Aromatic Hydrocarbons (these are like paint thinners, very harmful to viny, plastic and rubber)
        · Contain No other Serious Air Pollutants

They are also distilled multiple times to remove:

· Carcinogens
        · Reproductive Toxins
        · Multiple other Impurities

You will be hard pressed to find another automotive appearance care company that goes to the extent Meguiar’s goes to in order to create products that are both environmentally safe as well as safe for use by their customers.

I hope this helps...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Oh no Mike, I didn't say all of the MG line are p-based(I don't know s**t from shinola about what's in MG products), but a person at a WestMarine store(in Daytona, Fl) who sells the MG Marine line, said to try to stay away from products that contain p-based chemicals because they could prematurely degrade&be harmful to any given materials. I have used the MG line for many years and I will alway's. I have used 40&57 on the dash&tonneau before. Just would like to know if there is anything different that all of you would suggest. Many Thanks.
          05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD
          Exterior Mods:Hood Protector/Willmore Quad Length Nerfs/Debaged/KnockOff Euro Tails/SilverStars-Fr,Rr, and Fogs/Extang BlackMax Tonneau-Red/Color Matched Handles,Mirrors,Cowl,Antenna Thingy/Chrome Ram Logo Valve Stem Caps(Red)/Recon Smoked Rooflights(Colormatched-Red)

Comment

We're doing an Extreme Marine Makeover on an all original 1976 Starline Deville with the original orange vinyl interior.

It's very important to me to preserve these original seats for as long as possible so we're going to use M57 on them this Thursday when we do the makeover.

Then for the following 3 weekends we're going to punish the boat at Silverwood Lake.

The seats are still in great shape but we'll do our best to take some good before and after shots.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by VengeFulHemi View Post
              Oh

but a person at a WestMarine store(in Daytona, Fl) who sells the MG Marine line, said to try to stay away from products that contain p-based chemicals because they could prematurely degrade&be harmful to any given materials.
              That's a pretty general recommendation because just because some ingredient came from a petroleum raw material that doesn't automatically mean it's harmful.

Best thing to do is to stick with a name you can trust and then whatever product you decide on...

Here's what I'm going to do to the seats in the boat...

If you like it, then you obviously like how it applies and removes and it looks good in your eyes, if you use it often your car's paint will always look new because it's only when paint is neglected that it goes down hill.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I just hope you understand that the statement came from a westmarine person and not me. You and everyone else on here has given me great assistance, and I will alway's trust your words. Maybe the guy at westmarine needs an MG class on carcare and how to educate a customer. How does that natural shine compare to 40&57?
                05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD

Comment

Originally posted by VengeFulHemi View Post
                  I just hope you understand that the statement came from a westmarine person and not me. You and everyone else on here has given me great assistance, and I will always trust your words. Maybe the guy at westmarine needs an MG class on carcare and how to educate a customer. How does that natural shine compare to 40&57?
                  Completely understood.

When I first went to work for Meguiar's in 1988 one of my jobs was to call on PBE stores and offer to train the counter people on the Meguiar's product line to better enable the counter people to represent our line, sad to say many counter people are just in it for the money and don't really have a passion for detailing cars or helping others to get the best results from their time, money and efforts. That's why it can be hard to find a knowledgeable counter person on our line or any line of products.

Can't tell you how many people I've met over the years that went looking for either a paint cleaner of some sort to remove swirls or a protective car wax and the counter person sold them a bottle of #7 Show Car Glaze.

M07 is a great product but it's non-abrasive so it won't remove defects out of the paint and its water soluble so it won't hold up and protect like a wax.

As for how Natural Shine compares to M40 off-hand I don't know the technical differences but they're probably pretty close, as they are in the same category of products it's just one is distributed and marketed through the Professional channel and the other is distributed and marketed through the Consumer channel.

Tech Protect is not water soluble, so that would normally mean it will hold up better and longer when exposed to inclement weather.

When my Manager returns from vacation I can try to find out the differences and post them as we follow a chain of command protocol here at work.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');