• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips and tricks for M105 and a foam pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and tricks for M105 and a foam pad?

Looking for everyone's tips and trick to using M105 with a foam pad.

I'd say it's about a 50/50 toss up on how well it works. Maybe that is phrased wrong, M105 leaves the paint almost flawless all of the time, but about 50% of the time, it gums up really bad when using a foam pad. I've tried reducing speed on the rotary, spraying a little final inspection with it, using less product, cleaning pad after every pass. Some cars I have absolutely zero problems with it, and others are a total pain.

Not sure if it's the humitity down here in Texas, or what. But the gumming up is a pain! The finish is outstanding, but the clean up takes quite a bit of valuable time.

Any tips to get this stuff to work well when it starts gumming up?

Thanks,
    Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Tips and tricks for M105 and a foam pad?

Think it's temperature related from my own first hand experience. Buffed out a Mustang last week and temperatures were around 100 degrees, surface temp of car had to have been over 90 degrees and was running into some gumming up problems.

Not much you can do when you can't control the temperature except for all the things you outlined...
    • Reduce working area
    • Clean pad often
    • Remove all spent product before applying fresh product

Even though it was more difficult to work in this kind of heat, the results are so good it's my the first choice in compounds for removing sanding marks or paint defects.

Maybe Jason Rose or Kevin Brown or Joe Fernandez will chime in with their own tips?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I had M105 gumming up on me the first couple of times I used it. I think that was becasuse I was using a little too much product. I haven't had any bad experiences with hot temperature since my work space doesn't get hot.
      I did get frustrated the first time I used M105 because of the gumming up and didn't think I was going to ever use it again. Now I love it.
      Oh one thing that's helped me is I'll spray some last touch on the foam pad every once in a while after I have cleaned the pad.
      Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
      www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
      Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Hey Nick,

As Mike said it probably is a temp thing. I had the same issue down here the first time I used it. Outside temp around 98 or so. I did all the standard stuff- clean pad frequently, less product, more product ect. I haven't used it since that time so it may be something unrelated to temperature. I was thinking that it was just me but maybe not. Don't know if this helps much but....
        Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

When y'all say 'gumming-up'...

Can you elaborate?

My experience with M105 doesn't 'gum-up' in the traditional sense, as it doesn't contain solvents, so a softening of the foam pad is not common.

I am thinking of 'gumming-up' in this realm:
          When I'd use a lot of, or too much of, a product such as M02, M03, M09, M82, M83... After some time, the pad would saturate, get squishy, and lose its' structural integrity. At that point, the pad could not push, move, or squeege away the oil-laden abrasive liquid, and instead, would roll over it. I'd have to stop and remove the stuck-on goop, and then continue.

On the other hand- M105, in a very dry and/or hot environment, CAN and DOES have a very short working-cycle, requires a lot more product to be applied (than normally needed), and, at times, can leave behind a very thin build-up of product that seems as-if it's permanently attached itself (Raised paint-edges are a common area for it to happen,if it does).

Sometimes, misting the paint-surface with water now and then REALLY makes a difference! Now, I don't believe it helps add lubricity to the surface in a traditional sense (it evaporates rapidly once you roll the pad across it).
          It DOES, however wet the pad, to a degree, which helps redistribute the abrasive across the foam pad, and consequently helps to distribute the product in a consistently thin manner.

This happened to me yesterday... Over 100 degrees in the shop, very dry out (low humidity). I switched to M86 SOLO Cut & Polish Cream. Voila!- We were pulling the sanding marks quickly, leaving the surface very defect-free and slippery-smooth. Build-up was non-existent.

While M105, at times, seems like a miracle product that can do everything (belive me- I try!), reality is, in some situations you've still gotta go back to the arsenal and pull out another tool. M86 was the answer for me.
          Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 14, 2008, 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
          Kevin Brown
          NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Thanks Kevin.

Just an update...

Working on a motorcycle in my garage right now. We've had a bit of a cold front move through(high 80's low 90's), and M105 is working absolutely amazing with a foam pad! No gumming up issues at all.

On a side note....I really hate doing bikes
            2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
            2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
              On the other hand- M105, in a very dry and/or hot environment, CAN and DOES have a very short working-cycle, requires a lot more product to be applied (than normally needed), and, at times, can leave behind a very thin build-up of product that seems as-if it's permanently attached itself (Raised paint-edges are a common area for it to happen,if it does).
              +1 - on a rotary with an 8" red pad. I'm finding myself going over the the panel with 1:1 mist of last touch to remove all of the "stuck on" product. But once that's off, it usually looks great.

Very small issue with a great product. I'm running down to the store to pick up a wool pad. I'll see how that goes. Local shop has the Solo kit....I'm very tempted to pick that up. Bit pricey locally.

Also not sure if I should pick up the heavy wool or light wool (solo) cutting pad. They do not have the "regular" white pad in stock.

Comment

Both Solo wool pads will work well with m105. Just depends on how much cutting power you want.

You should get some M86 too. It works great as a follow up to M105.
                -Bob
                NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I also find # 105 a little to dry and dusty and i have heard of the use of #34 as a wetting agent to improve dry issue but if #105 has some chemical cut to it will the use of #34 effective the chemical cut ? Anyone know ?

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                    I also find # 105 a little to dry and dusty and i have heard of the use of #34 as a wetting agent to improve dry issue but if #105 has some chemical cut to it will the use of #34 effective the chemical cut ? Anyone know ?
                    No chemical cut or interaction whatsoever.
                    Kevin Brown
                    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                      You should get some M86 too. It works great as a follow up to M105.
                      Right now I have #2, #83, #80, and #82.

Usually #80 is all I need after 105. I'll pick up 86 eventually when I start running low on this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by kevin brown View Post
                        no chemical cut or interaction whatsoever.
                        thanks for the info.
                        Have you done any side by side with 3m 6085 and megs 105 ?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');