• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dent

Hi guys

I am from Mexico, and I am a huge fan of Meguiar's products (which I usually buy in the States, since I live close to the border).

During my last trip to the States, while visiting a supermarket my 2008 Honda Civic got dented for the first time! It happened while parked and, as far as I can see, the damage was made by someone who was carrying something big/heavy (maybe a box) and decided to have a breather on the back of my car.

I have some pictures of the damage, but I when I try to upload them I get an error; it's not a big deal, but I want to get rid of it.

I've already bought Scratch X, and the complete Deep Crystal treatment for Meguiar's; nonetheless, before using any product I would like to hear your thoughts.

I found on the internet about a method that uses an airdryer and airduster to remove a dent; I'm not still sure it works and also, I'm concerned about the damage it can cause to my car's finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dent

Hi

to MOL!
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hello!
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Here are the links for the pictures:

Zscaler makes the internet safe for businesses by protecting their employees from malware, viruses, and other security threats.

Zscaler makes the internet safe for businesses by protecting their employees from malware, viruses, and other security threats.

Comment

Welcome.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Welcome to MOL

With dents in todays cars the sheet metal is pretty thin compared to older cars and it is real easy to go to far and make the dent look worse. look for someone who does PDR ( paintless dent repair) you should be Abel to get a free estimate and they will be able to tell you the results you can expect.

GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by crcg View Post
              Hi guys

I am from Mexico, and I am a huge fan of Meguiar's products (which I usually buy in the States, since I live close to the border).

During my last trip to the States, while visiting a supermarket my 2008 Honda Civic got dented for the first time! It happened while parked and, as far as I can see, the damage was made by someone who was carrying something big/heavy (maybe a box) and decided to have a breather on the back of my car.

I have some pictures of the damage, but I when I try to upload them I get an error; it's not a big deal, but I want to get rid of it.

I've already bought Scratch X, and the complete Deep Crystal treatment for Meguiar's; nonetheless, before using any product I would like to hear your thoughts.

I found on the Internet about a method that uses an hair dryer and air duster to remove a dent; I'm not still sure it works and also, I'm concerned about the damage it can cause to my car's finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

. Sorry to hear about what some idiot did to your car. I've read and seen a lot on line about removing dents and dings with things like Dry ice, heat and ice, even small torches. I really don't think it works. You never know. The only thing I would try for a good laugh would be dry ice on a "beater" car. I wouldn't put heat to it. Except for a hair dry. Even that I probably wouldn't. Youtube has a bunch of video with people using different methods to remove dents. If you decide to try something, be carefully. You don't want to ruin your paint AND have a dent.

Comment

Hi and welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                Welcome to MOL

With dents in todays cars the sheet metal is pretty thin compared to older cars and it is real easy to go to far and make the dent look worse. look for someone who does PDR ( paintless dent repair) you should be Abel to get a free estimate and they will be able to tell you the results you can expect.

GOOD LUCK
                It's true but it also depends on the location of the dent and the vehicle.
                I say this because I have this dent on my door that it couldn't be 100% fixed, because in that location Subaru uses a double layer of metal and the guy told me that he couldn't reach that part for a full removal.
                Best thing to do it as you say, take it to a shop that does PDR and they'll say what can/can't be done and the price
                Last edited by yalerd; Aug 16, 2008, 07:01 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                  Welcome to MOL

GOOD LUCK
                  That is true. I know a guy that had a fairly large dent "removed" on his truck door. Now, instead of seeing a dent from an angle, you see a large area that is crinkled looking. It almost looks like someone hit it 100 times with a small hammer. There are now a few small cracks in the paint. The repair shop told him before they did the repair that it may not all come out or the paint may crack or chip. I guess he was told ahead of time what results he could expect. It really all depends on the location and the vehicle your working on. We both assumed the dent should have been easily removed since it was almost in the middle of the door panel and looked like it was pushed in. I thought it would pop out. We should have tried it ourselves but he wanted a "pro" to do it.

Comment

I've had very good luck with Paintless Dent Removal. I'd sure give it a try if I were you.

For lots of good parking tips, check out this site: http://www.parkingbydesign.com

Comment

hey, from my understanding using the dry ice or heat gun/ compressed CO2 method do in fact damage the clear coat. The method in theory does "work" by heating the metal you do two things, the metal expands and it becomes more flexible. Then the compressed CO2 decreases the temperature of the area you sprayed, allowing the cold metal to "contracts" or flexes. Which pops the metal into a random shape. The expanding and contracting of solid state objects are very minimum thus this "pop" method rarely works. Another fine point to add, the metal reforms it self in a random fashion, meaning the "popped" metal will not be identical to it's original shape. Even if it does works, it's at best 85% fix. Paint less repair also requires repetition of pulling. All in all, these paint less repair are useless if the dent is a crease dent.
                      Talk to a professional dent remover and ask him if your dent can be removed using paint less removal methods. If the answer is yes, then by all Do it at your own risk.
                      Paint cleaner and wax should be applied afterward to insure the paint or clear coat in that area is protected.

If anything I wrote is wrong...I'm very sorry. Correct me please.
                      have you ever walk pass a car thinking " Can that be buffed out ?"

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');