• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X and M105 by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X and M105 by hand

Hi Guys

I've pretty much got all my products and applicators and ready to go.

Just wondering the major differences between Scratch X and M105. I understand M105 is a bit more abrasive/harsher?

I'm intending on using the soft foam applicator to start with, heard the mircofibre and terry cloth is a bit harsher.

Would it be advisable to start with Scratch X and go from there?

I'm not too worried about the major scratches (rather a professional have a go) just really looking at cleaning and prepping the paint for #7 polish and nxt wax after I wash and clay the car.

The car does have quite a few scratches I would like removed just not 100% confident as i'm just starting out.

Kind Regards

Dan

Re: Scratch X and M105 by hand

If you can get 105, I'd use it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Start with the least aggressive of the two products (ScratchX) and see if you get the finish you want in your test section. If not, then go to 105 with a microfiber. The best test spot would be to section off your test area into thirds with some blue painters tape. Do one section with ScratchX, one with 105, and compare to your third untouched section in the sun. I reach for 105 every time I need to do anything by hand now for what it's worth.

If you are just starting out then I would still recommend trying ScratchX first. It is much more forgiving to work with. Once you get the hang of the technique required to remove defects by hand give 105 a try. I have done multiple cars using 105 for non machine reachable areas and am still amazed at how well it does at removing defects without adding additional marring. Follow that with either #9 or #7 and your NXT. If you are going to work with 105 I would suggest #9 over #7 as it does have a light cut to it that will further refine the finish. If you are going with ScratchX then either #9 or #7 will do just fine.
      Jason

Comment

Cheers for the help guys.

I might give the Scratch X a go first, if i'm not happy with the results will give it to my brother and try some M105. He is looking at Scratch X anyway so no harm done.

Looking forward to giving the Showroom Glaze #7 a go, heard some really great things about it. Only ever washed and used that Wetlook (cleaner/polish/sealant) one step and was even impressed with that.

Comment

Originally posted by the red baron View Post
          Just wondering the major differences between Scratch X and M105. I understand M105 is a bit more abrasive/harsher?
          It's important to understand that while M105 is more aggressive, (note I didn't use the word abrasive, some people get them confused), it uses a new technology, a different technology than the diminishing abrasives used in ScratchX.

ScratchX uses microscopic diminishing abrasives and is in fact a very non-aggressive, non-abrasive paint cleaner for working on scratch-sensitive clear coat paints.

Clear coat paints present a real challenge to work on because they show swirls and scratches so easily to our eyes.

M105 has the ability to remove sanding marks out of fresh paint when used with a wool pad on a rotary buffer, it's the combination of products, (super micro abrasives/wool pad/rotary buffer), that create the cutting ability.

Now take this same product and apply it by hand and you've drastically changed how aggressive it is, it's as though the aggressiveness of the product can be controlled simply by how it's applied and this is why it's becoming so popular as a hand-applied paint cleaner because it has the power to remove paint, which is what you're doing when you remove swirls, scratches and etchings, but do it without scratching and scouring the surface at the same time.

So both products will work, (ScratchX and M105), but there's a huge difference in how they physically work against the paint, and this equates to speed and effectiveness with the blue ribbon going to M105.

Meguiar's always teaches,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

And M105 kind of throws a monkey wrench into this philosophy because although it has the ability to be a very aggressive product, it also has the ability to be a very non-aggressive product depending upon how it's applied.

To simply measure the product against other products by the scale on the label which shows the product going to 12, (our most aggressive product), is the normal way people would judge and rank a product but this new super micro abrasive technology is creating a paradigm shift in that we must all re-think how we look at the paint cleaning process.

I'm intending on using the soft foam applicator to start with, heard the microfiber and terry cloth is a bit harsher.
          Both foam and microfiber can be very gentle, it depends upon the quality of the materials, it's a given both must be clean, and your process, that is how you use the material i.e. the pressure you use will determine how aggressive the material is.

Would it be advisable to start with Scratch X and go from there?
          Yes. Do what is called a "Test Spot", that is test the products you're thinking about applying to the entire car to one small area or spot. Apply the product according to the directions for using the product and then inspect your results. Technically you would perform the entire process to the test spot and thin do a final inspection, that is if you're going to use ScratchX, M07 Show Car Glaze and then M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, then you would apply and remove all of these products to the test spot and then inspect the end results because in the real world this would be your Final Results.

Make sense?

Make sure you and your skills and abilities and the products you have chosen to use can make one small area look good before going over the entire car. If you can't make one small area look good you certainly won't be able to make the entire car look good.

Test Spot. Test Spot. Test Spot.

I'm not too worried about the major scratches (rather a professional have a go) just really looking at cleaning and prepping the paint for #7 polish and NXT wax after I wash and clay the car.
          Working either ScratchX or M105 carefully and thoroughly over the entire finish will perfectly prepare the paint for both application of a pure polish followed by a wax or simply go straight to wax.

The car does have quite a few scratches I would like removed just not 100% confident as I'm just starting out.
          Thus the recommendation on this forum over and over against to our new members to start with a Test Spot.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have found 105 to work VERY quickly by hand and a lot of passion. Flat panels you can put your weight onto are great, side faced panels are a pain. ScratchX I found to take much more time. That being said.... always use the least aggressive product to save as much paint on your vehicle as possible.

Comment

Much appreciated guys.

I think I understand what you mean Mike. So someone using Scratch X with a cloth putting lots of effort behind it, will be different to using M105 with a foam applicator being more gentle with application process.

Although I really want to give this M105 a go, I might first attempt Scratch X and do a test spot and see what results I get with the whole process.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I think I understand what you mean Mike. So someone using Scratch X with a cloth putting lots of effort behind it, will be different to using M105 with a foam applicator being more gentle with application process.
                Yes. It has to do with how much pressure 2-4 fingers can exert versus the way your pressure is spread out over the entire face of a foam buffing pad on a DA Polisher on a tool with a built in safety feature. (a clutch).

Do a search on the word exert

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');