• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail Follow-up Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail Follow-up Questions

Hi all,

Last weekend I had my car professionally detailed and it looks great. Here's what they did:

Exterior-Hand wash exterior. Pressure wash wheels, tires, and wheel wells. Towel dry. Remove tar and bugs, remove badges, tape crevices. Polish paint & hand wax with 2 coats carnauba wax. Clean nooks & crannies, with tooth brushes and Q-Tips. Treat all plastic, vinyl, rubber trim, and tires with a rubber-vinyl protector. Polish chrome. Clean windows.

In any event, yesterday, while looking over the car, I noticed a spot on the hood that needed a bit of work. So I brought out my ScratchX, and in a few minutes time, had the spot completely gone. As soon as I finished though, I thought to myself "****! I probably just removed all of the wax!" Given what the detailing shop put on the car (2 layers), is the spot fine, or do I need to reapply?

Also, do you guys recommend waxing BMW roundels, or no?

Thanks

Re: Detail Follow-up Questions

Yes, you need to reapply wax over the area to which you applied the ScratchX.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Using a paint cleaner will remove any wax off the surface, just like claying will remove most wax off the surface.

The solution is easy, simply apply some wax to the area you cleaned.

Meguiar's doesn't make a wax based only on Carnauba but we do have waxes that contain Carnauba for example, M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax and Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax.

Either of these would be a good choice for the area you cleaned and for regular maintenance of the entire car as time goes by.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

How about ColorX? Would there be any problem with just using that, or would that somehow clash negatively with the wax already on the car?

Also, how do you guys feel about waxing roundels? Necessary, or no?

Comment

Originally posted by CBLW View Post
          How about ColorX? Would there be any problem with just using that, or would that somehow clash negatively with the wax already on the car?
          ColorX will work.

Just be aware that because it's a cleaner/wax it's going to remove anything on the surface where you apply it but it will also leave behind wax protection at the same time.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

OK great, I just wanted to make certain that it wouldn't somehow clash with the other carnauba-based wax. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');