• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

small aircraft detailing info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small aircraft detailing info?

Is there anyone on here who can point me to the pitfalls or other info on detailing small aircraft? products, or anything else ?
    I know the normal stuff grew up around airplanes but I'm considering doing them in my new detailing biz if its not a huge ordeal ?
    thanks in advance

Re: small aircraft detailing info?

I did it when I was younger, its how I learned to fly. It was easy the belly of the plane was the worst because of all the oil. Of course you have to take care not to plug up the pitot tube and the like but a little tape always took care of that problem. And that little black tube in the cockpit is not a microphone to talk to the passengers in the back. (g).

Comment

It's time intensive and you need to figure out your pricing and let your customer know upfront before taking any job.

One of our Moderators recently buffed out a small plane and before and throughout the ordeal I spoke with him about it over the phone and I'm confident he could share his experience with you.

I'll shoot him a PM

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by grafxworld View Post
        Is there anyone on here who can point me to the pitfalls or other info on detailing small aircraft? products, or anything else ?
        I know the normal stuff grew up around airplanes but I'm considering doing them in my new detailing biz if its not a huge ordeal ?
        thanks in advance
        Make sure you cover the static ports or you'll destroy some of the avionics. Be careful not to break anything off. Don't use anything with ammonia to clean Plexiglas. Other than that, its like doing a car, only there is the underside to do as well.
        AeroCleanse, LLC
        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
          Other than that, its like doing a car, only there is the underside to do as well.
          How do you charge for airplanes?

Or in round numbers, what's the average charge for a small airplane?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            How do you charge for airplanes?

Or in round numbers, what's the average charge for a small airplane?

Wash $100, buff / wax $275 for something like a Cessna 172
            AeroCleanse, LLC
            www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Hi Grafxworld,

As Mike mentioned I recently did a fairly extensive detail on a "small" plane and wouldn't mind sharing my experience with you.

For one, the plane was a 1997 and had seen 1 re-paint, and even still had severe oxidation and swirls on the entire body of the plane. I was warned by several people that the paint would be difficult to work on as single stage white paint is incredibly hard (physically). It was!

I tried a DA and couldn't even touch the oxidation/swirls, and had to use a rotary with a yellow solo pad and M86 on the entire plane. It ended up being a 35+ hour ordeal, and a LOT of work. In the end, the plane looked great and had a ton of gloss, but I'm not sure I would do it again given the amount people are willing to pay for the work.

Also, there are many tiny sensors that you absolutely have to make sure to cover, decals to avoid, and rivets that can be easily stripped of their paint exposing the aluminum underneath. It's a fairly high risk to return job, which is another reason I don't think it is for everyone.

Legally, most airports do not allow standard wash techniques and you either need an expensive water reclamation system or a rinseless wash system. The law also requires about $4 million in insurance as well.

Hope I didn't scare you too much, but I hope I did help you to see what to expect.

Here's a couple sneak peaks on the plane I have not yet finished making the write-up for:

Comment

The amount of insurance depends on where you are, and where you are working.
                AeroCleanse, LLC
                www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Thanks, in OZ we use 100% reclaimed filtered or rain water for washing , or waterless cleaners in all wash bays.
                  i'm well aware of the items hanging off and inside aircraft, i went to school to learn how to repair the avionics and engines about 15 years ago.and my father is a pilot. but I got tired of being layed off by the usa airlines...lol and not qualified to work on them on OZ.
                  do you know aprox how thick the paint on the planes is in comparison to a car? is it the same type of paint, 2 pac or laq ?
                  what about the plexi windows is there a secret product to clear them up again? besides the plastic polish ?
                  35hrs wow , maybe I should stick to learjets then, someone with more money..lol
                  what about warbirds with flat or satin paint jobs we have a lot of those near me or biplanes with cloth wings painted? is there any hope of waxing them without giving them a gloss finish in the end?
                  did you charge by the hour or a flat rate to do the plane ?
                  does the degreaser from megs attack anything on the engines or paintwork on planes?
                  and the deicing equipment on wings and tails, or can you just use a rubber gloss like a car tire?
                  sorry for all the questions it sounded like a market that nobody here does ?
                  most detailers stick to boats and cars here. now i know why..lol

Comment

Generally aircraft paint is different due to the nature of where they operate. For the deicing boots you need a special cleaner and special "dressing" for them.

http://www.jetstreamproducts.com/?Home is a place in the USA that sells the deice boot stuff.

Oh, I charge by the hour.
                    AeroCleanse, LLC
                    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

do you know aprox how thick the paint on the planes is in comparison to a car? is it the same type of paint, 2 pac or laq ?
                      Don't know the exact type but usually a single stage white paint as the pigment type adds to the durability and corrosion resistance to the resin.

Might want to find an airplane discussion forum where you'll probably find some real airplane gurus that can give you current information on paints being sprayed. Do a search for aircraft coatings and paints.

what about the plexi windows is there a secret product to clear them up again? besides the plastic polish ?
                      Be very careful. The word Plexiglas is thrown around VERY loosely when most modern plastic windows are Lexan or some type of very hard acrylic plastic. Plexiglas like used in the 1950's 1960's, and 1970's is very soft and VERY easy to sand and buff clear. All other plastics that I've personally worked on, as in tried to remove scratches out of is extremely difficult due to the hardness and unpolishability of the plastic itself.

If you come across an airplane with Plexiglas windows that need to be restored do some cartwheels of joy.

what about warbirds with flat or satin paint jobs we have a lot of those near me or biplanes with cloth wings painted? is there any hope of waxing them without giving them a gloss finish in the end?
                      Wash and dry, don't wax. It won't help and it won't look good. Owners that have chosen an airplane with a flat finish, or paid someone to spray a flat finish onto their airplane better have scienced out how to maintain it before purchasing the airplane or paying to have it painted. It's an problem they get the joy of dealing with.

does the degreaser from megs attack anything on the engines or paintwork on planes?
                      The job of a degreaser is to attack, that is to break down and dissolve grease and oil so the answer to your question is "Yes".

Now if you're wondering our degreaser or any company's degreaser is dangerous to any components in the engine compartment whether it be electrical or painted, coated, polished, etc., then the answer is also "Yes".

You need to know which components to protect and avoid and be knowledgeable about the chemicals you're using before spraying anything on anything.

and the deicing equipment on wings and tails, or can you just use a rubber gloss like a car tire?
                      No idea. My guess would be there's some kind of warning about this from the manufacture and the best thing to do would be to contact the manufacture and follow their recommendations.

sorry for all the questions it sounded like a market that nobody here does ?
                      most detailers stick to boats and cars here. now i know why..lol
                      I think Renny Doyle at DetailingSuccess.com told me the money in airplane detailing is doing interior detailing for private jets, basically go in and vacuum, clean windows, empty garbage etc, kind of like cleaning up the inside of your house after a party.

We'll send him the link to this thread and maybe he'll chime in as he's pretty savvy about this segment of the industry.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Boy much great input has been provided already but maybe I can add a tad to the discussion.

I started detailing in 1979 in So Cal at a small airport when an FBO owner gave a skinny kid a chance to learn to fly...I was 13 then so I am getting to be an old man when compared to many of you but this old guy has spent thousands of hours detailing aircraft ranging from Cessna 150 all the way up to Boeing 747's.

So I hope I can provide you with some items to ponder...
                        1. Knowledge & Passion - You mention within your first post that you grew up around aircraft...that is HUGE! I see all to many people looking to gain monitary gain from aircraft while they know very little about aircraft and really don't give a rats behind about them! To me...that is insane when you look at the next topic...liabiltiy.
                        2. Education - Detailing an aircraft is far different then working with a automobile. The materials used, the paint, the intolerences to many chemicals are just a few of the itmes to think about. Add in the safety aspects and the techniques and knowledge needed...this is a biggy!
                        3. Liabilty - This is a termindous item to consider. Insurance for aircraft is expensive and from what I have found, the few that have located "affordable" aircraft coverage had minimal coverage that would not fully protect them in the event they had an issue. As an average, you will be spending around $10,000.00 a year for the proper coverage for GA aircraft...if you find it cheaper...do your homework and use caution!
                        4. Proper Products - Its amazing but I have found that even some of the "aircraft safe" products are not to kind to aircraft. So product selection for me is a solid part of my efforts to make certain that the aircraft I am servicing are having safe and effective products used on them!
                        5. The Airport - Some airports are tought to deal with...make sure to make contact with both the airport manager and the FBO(s) on the field. This can be an easy step or in some cases...very interesting to say the least.
                        6. Marketing - Assuming you carry the right insurance you will need to know what motivates aircraft owners...I just spent a week at the AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Associations) annual event following SEMA and pilots are watching their dimes right now...with avaition fuel dropping below the $5 (even below the $4 in some areas) a gallon mark...they are starting to fly again and spend but money is tight!
                        7. Co-Marketing - Each aircraft owner has automobiles...and bikes...and other toys. When I launched our business...it was for high-end private jets only...we quickly added GA to that list and it was hard to turn down the Bentley details...so while we are known for our aircraft detailing...we make our everyday income from automobile detailing. Our lifestyle comes from the aircraft side of this business.
                        8. Price - If you are charging to little in this business...your are better off keeping in the auto, boat, RV and bike markets. You need to charge the right money...any less and you are leaving money on the table and working for a wage!
                        I hope this helps a tad and gets the brain cells cooking...good luck within your decision making and drop me a note should you have any additional questions!
                        Renny Doyle
                        Attention To Details
                        "Detailers of Air Force One"
                        www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up on this post! As for the interiors...we love the "quick turns" within this business. Here is where the real money is...
                          1. Bright Work Polishing - Polishing Metal is one of the most challenging items I have ever taken part in...its a blend of art, knowledge, product, ability and downright hard work! BUT...the return can be very rewarding!
                          2. Quick Turn Interiors - Interiors on aircraft are a REAL challenge...don't be fooled by what I am calling it. The interior surfaces can be very difficult.
                          GA aircraft (small planes) are where my passion is...corporate aircraft is where the profits within detailing can be realized. Thanks again Mike...many people had already provided great information and I hope I added to that info!

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          Don't know the exact type but usually a single stage white paint as the pigment type adds to the durability and corrosion resistance to the resin.

Might want to find an airplane discussion forum where you'll probably find some real airplane gurus that can give you current information on paints being sprayed. Do a search for aircraft coatings and paints.

Be very careful. The word Plexiglas is thrown around VERY loosely when most modern plastic windows are Lexan or some type of very hard acrylic plastic. Plexiglas like used in the 1950's 1960's, and 1970's is very soft and VERY easy to sand and buff clear. All other plastics that I've personally worked on, as in tried to remove scratches out of is extremely difficult due to the hardness and unpolishability of the plastic itself.

If you come across an airplane with Plexiglas windows that need to be restored do some cartwheels of joy.

Wash and dry, don't wax. It won't help and it won't look good. Owners that have chosen an airplane with a flat finish, or paid someone to spray a flat finish onto their airplane better have scienced out how to maintain it before purchasing the airplane or paying to have it painted. It's an problem they get the joy of dealing with.

The job of a degreaser is to attack, that is to break down and dissolve grease and oil so the answer to your question is "Yes".

Now if you're wondering our degreaser or any company's degreaser is dangerous to any components in the engine compartment whether it be electrical or painted, coated, polished, etc., then the answer is also "Yes".

You need to know which components to protect and avoid and be knowledgeable about the chemicals you're using before spraying anything on anything.

No idea. My guess would be there's some kind of warning about this from the manufacture and the best thing to do would be to contact the manufacture and follow their recommendations.

I think Renny Doyle at DetailingSuccess.com told me the money in airplane detailing is doing interior detailing for private jets, basically go in and vacuum, clean windows, empty garbage etc, kind of like cleaning up the inside of your house after a party.

We'll send him the link to this thread and maybe he'll chime in as he's pretty savvy about this segment of the industry.

Renny Doyle
                          Attention To Details
                          www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Thanks for chiming-in Renny, this thread will be tagged with airplane detailing and will help hundreds of members and lurkers into the future with similar questions...

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Glad I could take part within MOL...this is a class act site
                              Renny Doyle
                              Attention To Details
                              www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');