• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

Needed stuff:

Gold Class Car Wash
    Microfiber wash mitt
    Microfiber waffle-weave drying towel
    Microfiber towels (more the merrier)
    Tire/wheel brush
    2 or more foam applicators
    1 microfiber applicator (optional)
    Meguiar's Clay Bar kit
    ColorX, Cleaner Wax, or M20 Polymer Sealant
    NXT Generation Tech Wax or HiTech Yellow Wax (M26)
    Ultimate Quik Wax

Every one or two weeks:

1) Wash your car:

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

Dry with your waffle-weave towel. Some of us also like to first blot the water with a synthetic chamois called the Absorber.

Every two months:

2) Inspect paint surface. Gently run your hand over the surface. Is it smooth as glass? Do you feel bumps and rough spots? If you do, you need to clay your car:

How to Claybar Your Car

Typically, you will only need to claybar your car twice a year.

3) Apply a coat of ColorX, Cleaner Wax, or M20 with a foam or microfiber applicator. Massage and work it into the paint. You are working it into and against the paint because you are hoping to clean the paint and remove stains, contamination, light swirls, oxidization, and previous layers of wax. Allow it to haze and buff off with a clean microfiber towel.

Wait 15-30 minutes.

4) Apply a thin coat of NXT or M26 with a foam applicator. Allow to haze and buff off with a clean microfiber towel.

5) With the introduction of Ultimate Quik Wax, daily drivers now have the option of maintaining and boosting the NXT shine. UQW is easily applied. Use it after every wash or every other wash: The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax.

I hope the above, none of which is original to me, might prove helpful to those who are new to detailing. I welcome suggestions for its improvement.
    Last edited by akimel; Jun 1, 2009, 03:45 PM. Reason: Ultimate Quik Wax
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

I watched that car wash video and noticed the guy was washing and rinsing each section of the car - compared to washing the entire car then rinsing.

Is washing and rinsing sections of the car the preferred way? Or can I just wait till the end for the rinse?
    2008 Infiniti M35 Worklog

Comment

I wash the whole car and then rinse, it is what ever you prefer.
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

I just noticed that I forgot to mention that after apply the Cleaner Wax or ColorX, one waits until it to haze and then one buffs it off with a microfiber. I will edit the article for future publication.

I think the reason why one might want to rinse after each section is to prevent the soap from drying on the surface.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by humblepie View Post
          I watched that car wash video and noticed the guy was washing and rinsing each section of the car - compared to washing the entire car then rinsing.

Is washing and rinsing sections of the car the preferred way? Or can I just wait till the end for the rinse?
          i wash one panel at a time and rinse (also the wash media goes in the bucket more often), so that way i can monitor/watch the dirt/grime, etc. it's personal preference, find a way that suits you...

Comment

I do one panel at a time. I also work top to bottom. If the vehicle is especially filthy I will dump both buckets after doing the top half of each panel before starting the bottom.

Comment

Same here. One panel at a time, then rinse. When all areas are done, I then do the flood rinse.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                Same here. One panel at a time, then rinse. When all areas are done, I then do the flood rinse.
                Same here. I do my wheels last, so as not to contaminate my wash water.
                2005 GMC Sierra-Black(Oh Yeah it's Black )

Comment

Wheels first then rest of car (with fresh wash solution) working from top to bottom. Wash and rinse one section at a time and flood rinse entire car before drying.
                  2013 Highlander - black
                  2010 TL - black

Comment

[quote=akimel;272870]

Good stuff akimel.

I agree with your signature line so much, and closer than five feet and you well see something, anything. Scratches and swirls seem to happen by themselves when a black car is left alone by itself in the garage at night.
                    The paint gremlins must come out at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                      Scratches and swirls seem to happen by themselves when a black car is left alone by itself in the garage at night. The paint gremlins must come out at night.
                      You are so right! Each day, and night, we black car owners fight against the overwhelming forces of chaos and swirling. They may defeat us, but they will never conquer us.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                        They may defeat us, but they will never conquer us.
                        They may win the battle, but not the war.
                        -HealthyCivic
                        Check out the glossary

Comment

dear akimel,

thank you for the tips.
                          i think my taco will be pleased !

is there a way to add MY smilie ?

myming

Comment

I wash/rinse a section at a time to prevent the soap drying on the paint.

I do the wheels last so I can use the soap rather than needing to make up two batches: one for paint and one for wheels.
                            Al
                            ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I agree with the article and also agree on the other well written article (forget the originator) about using cleaner wax on a daily driver.
                              2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                              2005 Honda CRF250R
                              2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');