• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car got egged last night - pics attached :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car got egged last night - pics attached :(

I wanted to know from Mike and other experts what you think I should do? I did read up on the BMW egging thread on how some of the scratches were removed per instructions that were left by the original threader. However, I just bought my car and am a newbie when it comes to removing scratches and such so I would much rather get your expert advice and take it to an expert =)

Thanks for the help!! I cannot believe someone would do that. Damn kids.

-Mike
    (copy and paste into browser)
    http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=egged002ps0.jpg

Re: car got egged last night - pics attached

Here's your picture,

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

When an egg hits paint it chips out chunks of of the paint and touching it out with touch-up paint is very difficult because usually there are some very small size chipped areas.

Most people want to apply touch-up paint and then somehow when they're done they don't want it to look like there was ever any damage and that's very, very hard to do.

If you want it to look new again then the best thing to do would be to take it to a reputable body shop and let them repair it.

If you want to try to fix it yourself then you want to get a very fine tipped artist paint brush and carefully dab very small amounts of color-matching touch-up paint.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but fixing the damage caused by the shell impacting paint is very difficult to fix and make look good.

Sorry to hear of your mishap....

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike for the quick response...if I were to take it to a body repair shop what should I avoid them doing (that enhances the cost) and what should I really be telling them to do?

It looks a bit worse in pictures because of the flash - forgot to turn it off...but it left a bit of the swirl and some trailing swirls like a comet...

Comment

Here's Bob's thread on this,

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Bob aka RDVT4ME is a very talanted detailer by the way. Did a search using the terms, egging and then imprint, below are a few links on this topic but they pretty much say what I posted above...

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

This happened to my 1969 Blazer once and I felt like this...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by is250 View Post
            if I were to take it to a body repair shop what should I avoid them doing (that enhances the cost) and what should I really be telling them to do?
            Basically they're going to need to paint the effected area and try to blend in the repair with the surrounding paint but that's pretty touch to do for a small section especially if it's a metallic finish.

A cleaner repair would be to repaint the panel spraying paint from hard body lines to hard body lines, (if that make sense)

It looks a bit worse in pictures because of the flash - forgot to turn it off...but it left a bit of the swirl and some trailing swirls like a comet...
            Yep... that's what it looks like... Our Honda Pilot was egged but luckily the imprint or divet chips are very very small so it's pretty hard to see unless you know where to look. They are so small it's impossible to apply touch-up paint.

No easy solution and there's no happy ending...

Sorry to say...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for all your help! I will probably contact Bob since he is about an hour away from where I live. Maybe for a fee, he would be able to do this...

So what we are looking at is basically re-painting the entire hood?

As far as that clear coat scratch that you see next to the egg comet, can that be removed with SwirlX or shall I use ScratchX 2.0?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Basically they're going to need to paint the effected area and try to blend in the repair with the surrounding paint but that's pretty touch to do for a small section especially if it's a metallic finish.

A cleaner repair would be to repaint the panel spraying paint from hard body lines to hard body lines, (if that make sense)

Yep... that's what it looks like... Our Honda Pilot was egged but luckily the imprint or divet chips are very very small so it's pretty hard to see unless you know where to look. They are so small it's impossible to apply touch-up paint.

No easy solution and there's no happy ending...

Sorry to say...

Comment

So what we are looking at is basically re-painting the entire hood?
                That would make for the cleanest repair.

As far as that clear coat scratch that you see next to the egg comet, can that be removed with SwirlX or shall I use ScratchX 2.0?
                Use ScratchX 2.0 or Ultimate Compound.

Use a foam applicator pad and after each application check your results. Factory clear coats are thin so always be careful that you don't remove too much paint. Sometimes you're better off to improve a scratch versus trying to completely remove a scratch.

Removing scratches and etchings can be done successfully, just focus on the task at hand, check these out...

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Scratch Removed using Ultimate Compound

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

You know the ignorants that do this sort of thing probably just think they're putting egg on your car rather than physically chipping and damaging it.

If people knew more about paint care, ha!

A good egger, should crack the egg on something else and then just drop the egg contents onto the vehicle. Not ideal for us still, but it would be better than the chipping damage.

I sure hope this doesn't happen to me, but like was pointed out, I'm sure you can make it look a lot better.

Comment

It's this kind of thing that takes all the fun out of trying to have something nice...

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      It's this kind of thing that takes all the fun out of trying to have something nice...

You know, you would think that it would be ONLY kids who are capable of such stupidity but two nights ago I was at a local Shell station, filling up when I watched this guy in a black pick-up back up and smash into one of the gas station worker's mini-van. He made a HUGE bang and really messed up the guys rear bumper. He proceeded to put his car in drive and take off.

I chased him on foot and got his plate number and give it to the gas station attendant, along with my name and phone number. The nerve of such people.

I once parked another car I owned in a LEGAL parking spot, while at work only to find the driver door and front driver side quarter panel smashed pretty good. No note, not nothing. Guy just took off. $1,100 later my car was fixed.
                      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                        I chased him on foot and got his plate number and give it to the gas station attendant, along with my name and phone number. The nerve of such people.
                        Incredibly nice for you. Good eye to be able to snag the license plate number off of a moving car.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It is scary out there the things people do. When I'm out working on my cars, and people drive or walk by. I always wonder if they're going to target my cars sometime. I really get the stares, with my G110 and everything.

Comment

I feel your pain - here's my '07 350Z that suffered an egging and had to get the whole door resprayed:

Comment

i dont know why an egg is so damaging to a car paint ......any1?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');