• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M80, Paintable Polymer, and Fresh Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M80, Paintable Polymer, and Fresh Paint

While googling through the MOL archives I came across a statement that M80 has "a paintable polymer that can be used on curing paint" that offers some protection during the curing process. M09, on the other hand, does not have this paintable polymer.

I was wondering if anyone could elaborate upon this for me.

The reason I ask is that I just had my passenger side door re-painted (for the second time in a month! An interesting story, but I won't bore everyone with it). Would it be helpful for me at some point in the next few weeks to apply some M80 to the door by hand?

And I am correct, am I not, that all of Meguiar's pure polishes can be applied to fresh paint? Does that also include a cleaner/polish like M09?

TIA.

Al
    Last edited by akimel; Mar 13, 2009, 11:31 AM.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: M80, Paintable Polymer, and Fresh Paint

IF memory serves, the cleaners/polishes can be used, just don't "seal" the paint with a sealer/wax so the paint can cure and get rid of the solvents and whatnot.

Hopefully others will chime in.....
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

This thread right here might help you a little.

Paint Needs to Breathe

Andy
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I believe all polishes can be applied to fresh paint.

But the #80 has a more durable polymer in it as well, and yes, is good for freshly sprayed paint..... still nothing like a wax, but it is a bit more protection. As Mark said, any of them would want applied more often than your regular wax if you wanted good protection.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi Al,

Use Meguiar's M80 Speed Glaze as it was designed just for that situation. As you mentioned, M80 does have a paintable polymer that will help the paint get through the curing process.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks, Tim. M80 it is then. I was thinking of a gentle application with a foam applicator--wipe on/wipe off. Does that sound right?
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
              Thanks, Tim. M80 it is then. I was thinking of a gentle application with a foam applicator--wipe on/wipe off. Does that sound right?
              Sure, just apply a thin light coat, allow ~ 15 min (or perform the Swipe Test) for the paintable polymer to set up and then remove with a high quality MF towel.

Tim
              Last edited by Tim Lingor; Mar 14, 2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

That's 15 seconds, right?
                --Al Kimel

Comment

That's 15 seconds, right?
                  Oops! Sorry, that would be ~15 minutes or once you perform the swipe test.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                    Oops! Sorry, that would be ~15 minutes or once you perform the swipe test.
                    Interesting! I didn't think one should allow any of Meguiar's polishes to dry. Is M80 the exception?
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Interesting! I didn't think one should allow any of Meguiar's polishes to dry. Is M80 the exception?
                      Normally no, you remove while damp if you are using it as a compound/polish and plan on following it with a LSP. However, if you want to use the paintable polymer aspect of M80, then I would allow it to set up like any other polymer. That is also why I said to apply a very light/thin coat as you want to be able to remove the residue easily.

Now, it would be wise to use the swipe test as the length of time for it to set up will vary depending on temp and humidity.

Think of D151, an all-in-one. If you use it as a cleaner compound, then I work it in and remove like I would any other cleaner compound. But if I want to use the wax component then I would allow it to set up as well.

Tim

Comment

Thanks, Tim. Great information.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Tim, a couple more questions. I'll be washing my car again soon and plan on finally applying M80 to the newly painted panel. What is the best way for me to apply it? I can apply it by G110 or by hand. If by G110, should I use a finishing or polishing pad? And whether by G110 or by hand, do I work it in as one would normally work M80, i.e., work it until the diminishing abrasives break down, or do I simply apply it as I might apply a glaze or wax?

TIA.

Al
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');