• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynabrade Dual-Action Buffing Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynabrade Dual-Action Buffing Head

My friend Mike bought the Dynabrade Dual-Action Buffing Head:

The aluminum housing measures 4-3/4” in diameter.

With the backing plate removed, the innards are easy to see.

When the power slide button is engaged, this latching pin is raised.
    This locks the entire housing to the drive, and the backing plate is forced to rotate.

When the power slide pin is disengaged, the latching pin is lowered.
    The aluminum housing is able to rotate freely. This is set to the random-orbital mode.

We removed the backing plate to cut the size down. It uses a standard 5/16”-24 spindle.
    Our plan was to remove the white foam along the outer edge.
    This way, we could fit the Meguiar’s 7” pads to the backing plate.

This shot shows the overall diameters of the housing and the three plates we were going to use.

The Mirka plate will be used as the primary plate for the 7” pads.
    The modified Dynabrade plate will be used as a backup.

See? the Mirka plate is nearly identical in size to the plastic part of the Dynabrade plate.

This is the Meguiar’s Soft Buff 7” Foam Cutting Pad. It is getting rave reviews.
    Our goal was to allow Mike to attach the trio of foam pads to the attachment.
    Mike will also be using the So1o Pad system, which wil fit nicely once we are done.

An X-acto knife and some hand sanding easily removed the unwanted foam.
    Another way to cut the foam is to mount the backing plate onto a drill.
    Then, carefully push the X-acto into the foam as the drill rotates the plate.

Voila! The plate fits perfectly into the recessed part of the foam cutting pad.

The Meguiar’s WWHC7 So1o Wool Heavy Cutting Pad will work well with this machine.

Here is a shot of the pad mounted to the machine. You can really see the offset!

The slide pin.

Wow, what an offset. This machine feature a 3/4” (12/16”) diameter orbit.
    For comparison, the Meguiar’s G110 features a 5/16” diameter orbit.

We run the Makita at various RPM settings. It seemed to like 2,700 rpm with this 6-1/2” pad.

Keep in mind that this attachment was designed for use with larger pads than we were using, so the counterbalance was weighted accordingly.
    From what I understand, Dynabrade spent a lot of time dialing in the balance for 8” and 9” pads.

If you plan on using smaller pads and plates, count on some vibration.
    In terms of comfort, the optimum speed setting will be easy to find by adjusting the speed on the fly.
    Thanks to the 3/4” orbit size and the power and rpm capabilty of the rotary machine, you will be hard pressed to stop the rotation of the pad in random-orbital mode (even at slower speeds). I did not remember to weight the unit... D'oh! It wasn't unusually heavy, that is certain (credit the aluminum housing for the weight savings).

This is a time saver, and if you are comfortable with a rotary machine, you will really dig this baby!
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Re: Dynabrade Dual-Action Buffing Head

I like it!

Looks like a good piece of equipment for the never ending arsenal!
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I want one! Please provide me with a part number and I will order one tomorrow!

Thanks Kevin.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Here you go, Joe:

This is a reputable place to buy and at a great price: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DYN-61384.html

My friends and I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of tools from this place and have been satisfied throughout (price & service).
        Kevin Brown
        NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

How did I miss that part number in the orig. post?

Thanks Kevin. I'll tell your uncle, the owner of the tool warehouse, that you sent me.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Thanks for putting this together, Kevin!

How does the forced rotation compare to the Flex?
            Chris
            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Thanks for the information Kevin

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
              How does the forced rotation compare to the Flex?
              Yeah I was thinking about this as well

Comment

This thread brings back the dead... I had a Dynabrade attachment that I haven't use in two years... it doesn't have the switch to go from the rotary to the Random Orbit, it's a full time RO. I stopped using it due to the backing plate being too big for the 6.5" pads. I think I will get an exacto knife tonight on the way home and give it a shave.

Maybe on the next detail, I can compare it to my Flex. Chris, I will add this to the things to bring list to your class...
                Last edited by Tom Weed; Mar 16, 2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                  This is a reputable place to buy and at a great price: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DYN-61384.html

My friends and I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of tools from this place and have been satisfied throughout (price & service).
                  I'll second using the toolwarehouse to purchase this and other tools. I have spent thousands on tools from them. Great deals and free shipping cannot be beat!
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

I really like this post and stuff u explained Kevin.... thanks man
                    pandora on sale
                    pandora on sale
                    pandora on sale
                    pandora on sale

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                      Thanks Kevin. I'll tell your uncle, the owner of the tool warehouse, that you sent me.
                      Funny

Originally posted by steve1234 View Post
                      I really like this post and stuff u explained Kevin.... thanks man
                      Kevin is the very best, 4 sure

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');