• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Damage - Plan of attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Damage - Plan of attack!

Hello Everyone...

My car suffered a bit of damage last night and from first glance it looks like I will be able to clean it up. Just wondering what everyone would recommend as a possible "Plan of Attack" for materials and technique to clean this mess up.

Thanks for the input!

Photobucket

Re: Car Damage - Plan of attack!

Welcome to Meguiars Online!!
    I do not think there is much you can do about that.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

What kind of car is it? at first glance it looks to be a Scion tC. If toyota paint is any like honda's than some aggressive cutting polish and a D/A should at least help that.

Just from my pretty limited experience I would probably start with some M105 on my D/A and take it from there. With all of the ridges that the front of the car has I'm sure you went all the through the paint in some spots especially around the wheel. It doesn't hurt to try though, I'm really curious to see the results of whatever you attempt though.

My plan of attack would be something like M105 followed by M205, just have to take it one application at a time and see if your getting acceptable or even any results.

Comment

Seems like you have paint transfer, so you can remove that and maybe you'll be leaving behind some deep scratches that you'll just have to live with it of repaint.

Try this:
        -Wash
        -Clay
        -ScratchX 2.0 with a terry cloth towel and follow this with a foam pad applicator
        -Wax

Here are a couple of links that could help out with the techniques:
        How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
        What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
          Seems like you have paint transfer, so you can remove that and maybe you'll be leaving behind some deep scratches that you'll just have to live with it of repaint.

Try this:
          -Wash
          -Clay
          -ScratchX 2.0 with a terry cloth towel and follow this with a foam pad applicator
          -Wax

I agree with this statement, although if you have some M105 / Ultimate Compound, I would also try that. You will probably be able to remove a lot of the white paint, but there will likley be scratches in the paint that you cannot remove.

It looks like the edge of the wheel well took a shot, so that might be scratched pretty good. You can't really mess up anything since a repaint is needed to totally correct the problem, so give it a go by hand (as mentioned above) and see what you can do.

I had a similar incident with my Volvo and it cleaned up pretty well, although my car was a lighter paint color so it helped minimize the scratches. Let us know how it turns out and good luck!
          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

The white paint that transferred onto you blue paint can be removed using Ultimate Compound by hand, you might have to start with some terry cloth as the nap of the terry cloth will provide some extra scrubbing power and then do a final pass with a foam applicator.

After that be sure to apply some wax as the compound provides no protection.

Here's some threads on this topic,

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Update on this... I'm not sure what the white is because the car that caught mine was red. If you look close at the big white spot you can see a hint of red in it. I already ordered a bottle of factory paint so i think i will try and buff out the inperfections real well, use some scratch X to clean up the fine scratches, use the touch up paint, and then use a product to help smooth out the touch up paint. After this I will wax and polish...

any thoughts on this?

Thanks for everyones input already! Great site!

Comment

Besides the dents, the other problems are what we call Paint Transfer

Click the link below and read through the threads listed as this is a fairly common problem and there's some meaty stuff already posted on this topic and they are tagged with the tag Paint Transfer.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/tag...Paint-Transfer

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It looks like a Scion tC or a BMW.
                  I am not sure, I can not see the front of the headlight. (I am really good at identifying cars by headlights and taillights)
                  Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  '99 F-150

Comment

yeah my best guess would be to use some ultimate compound as mike suggested, and its definetly a scion tc, the partial view of the tail light and the wheels give it away keep us updated on how it goes

Comment

Yeah, I just realized you can see the Scion Logo on the Brake Dust infested wheels.
                      Joel
                      Firefighter/EMT-B
                      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post

Try this:
                        -Wash
                        -Clay
                        -Wax

Ditto on this recommendation. What can be removed will come off with aggressive application of ScratchX 2.0. Afterwards just wax. You may be able to live with the result.
                        Art Layton
                        2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
                          Yeah, I just realized you can see the Scion Logo on the Brake Dust infested wheels.

took me a little bit to find the logo

clean those wheels while your at it

Comment

Haha... yes it is a Scion TC.... I've had it almost 3 years and only issue was a minor door ding... and then this big one! :-( The paint on this car has held up really well though. Once a year I do a full detail and it looks brand new when im done with it.

I'm going to try and tackle the repair tomorrow and will post some updated photos.

Comment

UPDATE!!! - Car Damage - Plan of attack!

Here are some updated photos.... I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Steps
                              Wash
                              Clay Kit
                              Scratch X2
                              Cleaner Wax

and yes by popular request i cleaned up wheels while I was at it! ;-)

I still have to get the touch up paint and do that process. Thanks for everyones great input!

BEFORE:
                              Photobucket

AFTER:
                              Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');