• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Dodge 2500: LOTS of pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Dodge 2500: LOTS of pictures!

Gang,

Here's a job I did this weekend. I stretched this out to 3 days as I worked on first day of scrubbing, analyzing paint and analyzing the interior. Second day was cleaning interior, by removing bulk stuff from interior to boot! Third and final day was paint correction, this was fun in itself and I gained a ton of Rotary experience in the process.

Process:
    Wash - NXT car wash, two buckets
    Wheels - Hot Rims Chrome Cleaner - (not chrome, we'll get to that later)
    Tires - E1 All Wheel/TIRE cleaner, Endurance Gel.
    Interior - APC+, Quik Out Aerosol, M40, Natural Shine
    Paint - Assortment: D151, M83, Ultimate Compound, SwirlX, M84 (rotary) and NXT 2.0 as LSP. Oh yeah, I clayed too.
    Trim - Cleaned with APC, dressed with M38, M40
    Engine - APC - Super Degreaser - Engine Kote to dress. (no before pictures, diesel, so it was dirty)
    Glass - NXT glass cleaner, Meguiar's terry cloths
    Chrome - Hot Rims Chrome Polish

On the paint, I tried Ultimate Compound/8006/G100...The first two cuts didn't do much for the swirls and deep brush marks. I then tried M83/8006 on a rotary, no good. I broke out the M84/8006 pad and my rotary and reviewed my notes from Tim Lingor on the rotary as well as jogged my memory from the 5 videos on wetsanding for rotary. It went awesome. My confidence in the rotary quadrupled. M84 is a wonderful tool if one doesn't have M105/M205 (which was the case). The truck was pretty brush marked up, although I didn't get everything out, I brought out the best I could do and I'm happy with it. The shine was back too.

Interior, I used Quik Out and APC+ to clean and M40 and Natural Shine to dress. The big concern was something spilled on drivers side which came out beautifully withe combination of Quik Out and APC+. The APC+ does not hardly foam and is so easy to extract, it really saves time on a detail. I would wash, rinse, extract, rinse and extract again on the carpet. I used my shop vac to extract, worked great in the Neon. I love doing interiors and better at them than paint.....

Wheels "looked" chrome, so after scrubbing the tires, I broke out the chrome cleaner and sprayed, agitate and rinsed. No harm no foul. I did discover the wheels are clear coated aluminum. The chrome cleaner did not do any damage though, so all is good. The center caps are chrome and cleaned up awesome with the chrome cleaner. Endurance Gel makes the tires shine like new! Make sure what you are cleaning boys and girls!

The trim was scrubbed with APC and dressed with M38. The M38 did not react too well with the Dodge Trim so M40 was used on top of it and has held up so far.

Chrome: - washed normally, clayed and Hot Rims Chrome Polish made it shine better than new!

I apologize in advance for the amount of pictures, but I had fun and learned a lot on this detail. Trucks are huge and more work than one would think!

Before:

Little swirled up.....

Paint Transfer

Yikes! Hope M84 take care of that.....

Interior, back seat:

Front Seating: No ostrich behind me, just didn't see it until I resized the photos. LOL. I was blinded by looking at the "swirl" finder....The Sun.

Front Drivers:

Drivers Seat:

The spill:

Not too Bad!

Engine:

Pretty much all the white under the hood was a dark brown or black! It came back really nice with Super Degreaser and a coin op!

The front of the hood I had to re-clean as I ran out of quarters but, this was all black too and it came out very nice!

The hinge areas were not as bad, but dirty:

Other side.....

Much better:

Day 2 Interior:I removed the front seat. Kid's remember to unplug the power seats, fortunately I remembered this time and did not hurt anything!

Yikes:

Quik Out in the can, great stuff, low foaming too!

A fear I had was the spill seaped through the carpet into the insulation, thus, having to clean both the insulation and carpet so the stain doesn't come back. There is rubber under the rug, so that made it easy:

Spray spray spray, agitate.....

Ahhhh, much better.

Cleaned under the rear seat, the black thing came out as did the jack and jack accessories. I cleaned the accessory bag with M40 and cleaned the jack with APC+ and finished it with UQD for the shine. M40 went on the black thing.

Rear doors and jambs got the royal treatment, APC+ on panels with M40 protecting it, in case I forget, M40 went on all Rubber Stripping as well.

With the front seat out, it was pretty handy to clean.

Befores:

Drivers side:

After APC+ and a good scrubbing!

Good Ol' Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner was rubbed into these seats:

I did have some help with that though, this is the youngest, Allison, the star Basketball player. She was great help, she even made me a sandwich later and brought me a Diet Pepsi

Dash: ugh! I used my shop vac on blower and gently blew the dust away. I then treated plastic with M40 and top of dash with Natural Shine.

4WD, that boot was deep! M40 cleaned 'er up! Slicker than a wet baby bananna tree!

Afters: I'll go quick and no story telling. Sorry it's bout over if you lasted this long!

Okay I lied: Gang, when removing items, put them back the way you removed them. The seat bolts had blue loctite on them. I made sure I put blue loctite back on them then torqued them down. You don't want to mess with any loose bolts on a seat in case of an accident.

And APC+ cleans up blue loctite if a drop gets on the rug
    But hey, the stain is gone from earlier!

continuing:

Exterior: pretty much afters if you remember the firsts and the process.....

Caught my wife dressing the trim! She was a big help too!

The white and shine has really come back to this truck.

I called Meguiar's Customer Support as I had a question that needed immediate attention. I got a hold of Mike Stoops to boot! My question was the running boards on this Dodge were rubber and I wanted a dressing to get rid of the oxidization but not make it slippery so when they get into the car, they wont end up in a heap. Mike suggested my favorite product! M40! My wife applied it, let it soak, wiped, continued on with other trim and came back and reapplied product liberally on both accounts I might add and final wiped!

The agony is almost complete, c'mon it wasn't that bad.....was it?

Hmmmm, M84 followed by SwirlX sure got rid of the red paint transfer and made this a lot less noticable!

And you guys thought I forgot to dress the tires! What's Dodges' Slogan.....

OH YEAH, GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS:

Thanks for looking. I did try to trim the pictures I had, there are more in my gallery if your interested.......no? okay then make a comment on how you like it.

3 days you ask? My wife was out of town and the truck belongs to friends of ours and it kept me out of the house and not eat all day watching TV and I can take my time with it! That's why

Man I am tired though, it's a nice truck and hope he's happy with it, or else

for looking, being tortured.

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: 2000 Dodge 2500: LOTS of pictures!

Impressive. The friends owe you big time for that one....

Incidently, if the threads had Locktite on them when you removed them, it didnt take too much effort to get the bolts off?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You did a really nice job. Your friend is going to love his "new" truck. Don't worry about the pictures I enjoyed looking at them.
      "What's the first rule when entering a man's car?"

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you."
      Transporter 2

Comment

A very entertaining post, enjoyed the pictures. You did an outstanding job on the truck, it should be a pleasure to drive now. Great work.

Comment

Great work on the truck. It looks great. Way to go Aaron.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Really nice work you did on that Dodge Ram. You did the interior perfectly. Great job outlining your process and good pictures as well.

Nice Work!
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Excellent Work as Usual!!
              Looks Great!!
              Huge Improvement!!
              Nice Job!!
              Keep Up the Great Work!!
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

The truck looks great, very nice work!

Comment

nice work!!
                  Big truck!!
                  Jose Holguin

Comment

Awesome, I like how you disassembled parts of it to really clean it right. I've been guilty of that myself. Love those big Dodges like that.
                    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Looks great, that carpet really came out good. You couldn't buff out that dent where the red paint transfer was??

Comment

Wow! Looks great Aaron. Your friend should be impressed.

Are you still using your Chicago Electric Rotary on your details or have you upgraded to something different? I was curious if you still liked that rotary. I've been contemplating purchasing one just to have around to play with and for the occasional time that I may need the added power of a rotary.
                        Brian

Comment

That's a lot of cleaning!
                          Very nice job Aaron

Comment

Excellent work Aaron! That's a big truck and a lot of work! Nice to see you had a little help!
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Lots of work. Interior looks great. Same goes to the exterior. Great job man! BTW, thats a big truck.
                              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');