• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEM Classic Coat for Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEM Classic Coat for Leather

So I spotted this at the PB&E store the other week.
    The guy there said it came out last year and didn't know anything about it, nice.
    So does anyone know anything about this stuff?
    Here's what I found on there site:

SEM Classic Coat for Leather

SEM CLASSIC COAT uses advanced technology to provide superior adhesion and flexibility when changing or restoring the color of most leather and vinyl. CLASSIC COAT is a fade resistant coating that won’t chip or peel and is available in many of today’s popular OEM colors.

Re: SEM Classic Coat for Leather

Hmm... that definitely is interesting, whether for cars, or other household things.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Paint?
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

That's the stuff I used on my gauge pod. Haven't tried it on leather, but if prepped properly, I'd think it would work just as great as it did in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
          That's the stuff I used on my gauge pod. Haven't tried it on leather, but if prepped properly, I'd think it would work just as great as it did in my case.
          Photo?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hmm, I don't have a direct shot of it. I can take a peek through some later, but it matches spot on.

Comment

I have used this product and find it to be the standard for the industry.
              roger

Comment

Found this Hi-Tech stuff today, the guy there said it was the same stuff and he loves it!

Vinyl, Plastic, & Carpet Dye$5.95

Restore, renew, and rejuvenate automotive carpet, vinyl, and plastic!

Hi-Tech™ dye is available in thirty six colors, computer matched to O.E.M. standards! Specially formulated to leave carpet and vinyl soft and flexible, with a permanent coating that won't crack, split, peel, or rub off. The 'snorkel tip' with its adjustable fan pattern delivery system is recognized industry-wide as a mark of quality and performance. Color coded caps and labels for user convenience. Aerosol can
                net weight 11.25 oz. All dyes are California / OTC VOC Compliant.

Please note that the color chart below is approximate. Due to the variations of web browsers and monitors it is impossible to show colors precisely over the web. Metallic colors especially cannot be rendered properly.

White: HT-110Light Brown: HT-213Chestnut: HT-240Deep Blue: HT-350Gray: HT-440Black: HT-470
                Off-White: HT-120Sand: HT-215Light Blue Metallic: HT-310Dove Gray: HT-400Carbon Gray: HT-445Red: HT-510
                Beige: HT-200Tan: HT-220Sky Blue: HT-320Light Gray: HT-410Dark Gray: HT-450Autumn Red: HT-520
                Desert Tan: HT-205Chocolate: HT-225Medium Blue: HT-325Silver Metallic: HT-420Flagstone: HT-455Dark Red: HT-530
                Doeskin: HT-210Brown: HT-230Blue: HT-330Gray Metallic: HT-430Charcoal Gray: HT-460Burgundy: HT-540
                Cappuccino: HT-212Khaki: HT-235Dark Blue Metallic: HT-340Dark Gray Metallic: HT-435Tawny Gray: HT-465Deep Green: HT-600

Comment

I have been a SEM leather dye fan for about 20+ years. great products easy to use with very good color hold. several light coats with 10 min flash between coats works well

use white scotch brite and aerosol window to clean surface, dry and ready to dye

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                    I have been a SEM leather dye fan for about 20+ years. great products easy to use with very good color hold. several light coats with 10 min flash between coats works well

use white scotch brite and aerosol window to clean surface, dry and ready to dye
                    How well does it last compared to an OEM leather finish in a daily driver? Do you sand the leather first?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                      How well does it last compared to an OEM leather finish in a daily driver? Do you sand the leather first?
                      The longest repair was on a 1980 Pontiac sunbird I had had for 3 years, sold it to a friends daughter who had it still looking great a year and half later untill she totaled the car.

Yes you can sand to remove small cracks of stains and defects. I use 180 grit. On areas like side bolsters which crack from getting in and out sand with 180G apply 2 very light coats dye let dry resand lightly with 220 and than apply 1 or 2 top coats.

The dye can work like a primmer filler as well.

Remember to remove all the dust prior to coating, low air pressure and a tack rag work well

SEM also has ready to spray pts and qts for bigger jobs. and very economical

Comment

Thanks for the info Shyneman!

I have a friend that was looking to spend $1,200 to re-finish her seats and I just might give this a shot first.

Comment

Me too! Thanks Shiny Man!
                          I bought the Hi-Tech stuff today
                          I have a spot on my rear seat that needs attention and I'm going to use it on a spot of carpet too.
                          I found out SEM is a 3M product and is very good
                          I thought I'd give the Hi-Tech a try on one spot and I might get SEM if needed.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');