• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Lake Country 4" Inch Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Lake Country 4" Inch Pads

I do a lot of paint and bodywork, which means I do a lot of sanding and buffing. I use pretty much all Meguiars pads, however I do use a Chicago Pneumatic 7201P Mini Air Polisher Kit - 3" with 3M pads in tight spots and around edges..

My issue is that any place I use this polisher, it requires a pretty large air compressor, so this can be an issue from time to time. Many things that I paint will end up back at someone's garage that doesn't have a large compressor so I'm looking at the 4" CCS pads for my rotary and G110

My question is how do these pads compare to meguiars. Does Lake Country cutting pad equal the W7207? More cut or Less Cut?

Does the Lake polishing pad equal the meg polishing pad? More aggressive??

I see they make about seven different 4" pads, I tried to find a comparison on cutting ability or aggressiveness without much luck so any input from you guys would be apperciated...

I would like to stay with a three pad system if I can. Cut, Polish, and Finish but I'll would love to hear everyones recommendations

sorry to Meguairs to have to ask about different products on their forum but I'm in a tight spot...
    I love your pads and products... just need some smaller ones
    Red 99 SS Camaro - 578 RWHP 611 FT/LBS

"..If you do not strive to be the best at what you do, why do it at all?"

Re: Advice on Lake Country 4" Inch Pads

to be honest i dont know exactly the comparison, but LC has a lot of intermediate pads
    Yellow-heavy cutting pad
    Orange- Light cutting pad
    Green- heavy polishing pad
    white-polishing pad
    black-finishing pad
    red and blue-lighter than the finishing pad(for waxing i guess)...
    Logically the yellow,white and black are equal with Meg's pads, but the have more ''steps'' between them...
    For example i found that Yellow pad it is much more aggressive than the orange pad....Especially when u use it with a da polisher....
    I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

I hear ya. I use some of the smaller LC pads from time to time because you just need something smaller than 6.5" for certain areas on some vehicles. I mostly use the white 4" pad. It is more firm than the yellow megs pad and finishes out similar IMO. I was holding out to see if Meguiar's would make some smaller pads but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I just ordered some more of the smaller LC pads. I am more than happy with the Meg's foam I just wish they would make some smaller sizes like 4" and 5.5".
      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by b00g2003 View Post
        My question is how do these pads compare to meguiars. Does Lake Country cutting pad equal the W7207? More cut or Less Cut?
        The 4" LC CCS pads are the ones I utilize after having an issue with the 4" LC flat pads. The LC Orange pad would be most comparable to the burgundy Meg's cutting pad in mechanical abrasiveness. The LC Yellow pads can tend to scour the surface and leave behind some induced marring and damage that needs to be cleaned up later.

I would like to stay with a three pad system if I can. Cut, Polish, and Finish but I'll would love to hear everyones recommendations
        If you're sticking to a basic three pad set-up then go LC Orange for use with your compounds, LC White or LC Green for use with glazes and polishes, and the LC Black for final finishing and LSP application. I've used the LC, Meg's, Flex, and Sonus pads and like the LC CCS the best for the wide variety of mechanical abrasiveness and sizes offered. There were some quality control issues with the flat pads and after getting burned once I have not returned to them. They may be better now but I don't trust them and don't care for the very thin depth as compared to the CCS pads.

Just as an FYI, there are several styls of LC CCS pad. The standard can be found almost anywhere. Proper Auto Care has some made to their specifications that have a layer of "constant pressure" foam which evens out the pad face and contact patch with the smaller backing plates and a recessed or raised edge to help in centering and offer additional contact protection. I've only tried the larger versions of these but do like them. Hope this helps...

Nick Chapman, Todd, and others on MOL have used the LC CCS pads extensively and can also offer sound advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
          The 4" LC CCS pads are the ones I utilize after having an issue with the 4" LC flat pads. The LC Orange pad would be most comparable to the burgundy Meg's cutting pad in mechanical abrasiveness. The LC Yellow pads can tend to scour the surface and leave behind some induced marring and damage that needs to be cleaned up later.

If you're sticking to a basic three pad set-up then go LC Orange for use with your compounds, LC White or LC Green for use with glazes and polishes, and the LC Black for final finishing and LSP application. I've used the LC, Meg's, Flex, and Sonus pads and like the LC CCS the best for the wide variety of mechanical abrasiveness and sizes offered. There were some quality control issues with the flat pads and after getting burned once I have not returned to them. They may be better now but I don't trust them and don't care for the very thin depth as compared to the CCS pads.

Just as an FYI, there are several styls of LC CCS pad. The standard can be found almost anywhere. Proper Auto Care has some made to their specifications that have a layer of "constant pressure" foam which evens out the pad face and contact patch with the smaller backing plates and a recessed or raised edge to help in centering and offer additional contact protection. I've only tried the larger versions of these but do like them. Hope this helps...

Nick Chapman, Todd, and others on MOL have used the LC CCS pads extensively and can also offer sound advice.
          It sure does, I knew I could count on everyone!! Thanks for the input!

Comment

If I had to rate the pads on a scale in terms of cut (not necessarly finish) it would look similar to this (from most to least)

-Lake Country Yellow
            -Meguiar's Burgandy
            -Lake Country Orange
            -Lake Country White
            -Meguiar's Yellow
            -Lake Country Green (Euro)
            -Lake Country Black
            -Meguiar's Black
            -Lake Country Red
            -Lake Country Gold
            Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
              If I had to rate the pads on a scale in terms of cut (not necessarly finish) it would look similar to this (from most to least)

-Lake Country Yellow
              -Meguiar's Burgandy
              -Lake Country Orange
              -Lake Country White
              -Meguiar's Yellow
              -Lake Country Black
              -Meguiar's Black
              -Lake Country Red
              -Lake Country Gold
              Perfect!! This is what I was looking for!!!

Comment

-Lake Country Yellow
                -Meguiar's Burgandy
                -Lake Country Orange
                -Lake Country White
                -Meguiar's Yellow
                -Lake Country Black
                -Meguiar's Black
                -Lake Country Red
                -Lake Country Gold
                Todd what about Meg's 6.5" pads, more specifically 9006 finishing pad?
                Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

-Lake Country Yellow
                  -Meguiar's Burgandy
                  -Lake Country Orange
                  -Lake Country White
                  -Meguiar's Yellow
                  -Lake Country Black
                  -Meguiar's Black
                  -Lake Country Red
                  -Lake Country Gold
                  Does this scale take into account the different pad sizes. I mean, in that list are you listing the cutting power of the Meg's 6.5"/7" vs LC 4"

I'm coming from the angle that a 6.5" vs 4" pad would have different cutting power under the same pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post
                    Does this scale take into account the different pad sizes. I mean, in that list are you listing the cutting power of the Meg's 6.5"/7" vs LC 4"

I'm coming from the angle that a 6.5" vs 4" pad would have different cutting power under the same pressure.
                    No it's just the foam differences I think
                    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post

The scale signifies the difference between the mechanical abrasiveness of the different foam compositions. A 4" pad and a 5.5" pad and a 7" pad of the same material all have the same level of mechanical abrasiveness and aggresivity. The reason a 4" pad can provide more corrective ability is that its smaller size allows the weaker motors on random orbitals like the G110 and PC 7424 to spin faster and/or easier. The pads are the same...its physics that allows the machine to work harder equaling more corrective power.

Comment

Originally posted by ivopivo View Post
                        Todd what about Meg's 6.5" pads, more specifically 9006 finishing pad?

I only have the 7 inch Softbuff II pads. Are the foams (in the Softbuff Line) different between the 6.5 inch and 7 inch pads or are you referring to the older tan polishing pads?

Assuming you are referring the tan pads I don't know if I am the best to ask. When I used to use those I didn't really use any other brand of pads, so I never compared them to anything else. Logically I would think they are softer then the current Meguiar's Softbuff II black foam, but SLIGHTLY more aggressive then the Lake Country red/blue foam.
                        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

I only have the 7 inch Softbuff II pads. Are the foams (in the Softbuff Line) different between the 6.5 inch and 7 inch pads or are you referring to the older tan polishing pads?

Assuming you are referring the tan pads I don't know if I am the best to ask. When I used to use those I didn't really use any other brand of pads, so I never compared them to anything else. Logically I would think they are softer then the current Meguiar's Softbuff II black foam, but SLIGHTLY more aggressive then the Lake Country red/blue foam.
                          Yea I was talking about the old tan pads... I haven't tried the new pads yet so don't know if the foam is similar, but you confirmed my thinking of them being about as 'aggressive' as the LC black pads
                          Chicago, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');