• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailed: 1990 Honda Accord (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed: 1990 Honda Accord (lots of pics)

Well, tonight I got the chance to detail my parents' 1990 Honda Accord LX. It's tan with a burgundy interior and about 150,000 miles on the odometer. This is a daily driver that never gets garaged. I wasn't going for a full detail, as I try to keep this car clean on a fairly regular basis (wash and vac about once a month and wax about every 3 - 4 months). I've never done a full paint correction of any sort, and I really didn't have time for that tonight, so I made it relatively simple. I think this car's paint has pretty good workability, unlike my car which refuses to budge an inch on any attempt at swirl removal. I wouldn't have minded trying to remove the swirls with Ultimate Compound or Swirl X and then following up with M07 or DC2, but that would have required probably another hour and a half of daylight, and I didn't have that pleasure. My driveway doesn't get shade that I can work in until about 5 PM, so I only had a few hours to work on it. I think it took me about 3 hours total. This is my first writeup, so bare with me.

Process

Interior

Vacuum
    QID plastic surfaces
    USA (United Source of America) Foam Magic carpet cleaner on front floormats
    Auto Magic Ready to Use glass cleaner on windows
    Auto Expressions Summer Melon gel air freshener

Exterior

Wash fenderwells, tires, and hubcaps with Tip Top APC and assorted brushes
    Wash with 2 bucket method (no grit guards), microfiber chenille mitt, Deep Crystal Car Wash
    Clay with blue Clay Magic and Quik Detailer
    Wash again
    DC1
    NXT 2.0
    UQW on black trim
    Ardex Viper Wax on exterior windows (I love this stuff; very versatile, and better than Rain-X)
    UQD wipedown (until the bottle quit working, then UQW on the rest of the car)

I didn't get everything done that I would have liked to, but all in all I think it turned out pretty good. Yes, I know I cheated, please don't kill me. I wanted to do more on the interior, but I figured for the time being it would just be best to just get the dirt and dust out and get the windows cleaned. I may turn this car into a two day project sometime - one day on the interior, and one day on the exterior. That'll probably just have to wait until the weather cooperates and all this **** stops falling from the trees. Just a note, after DC1, I did a test panel with DC2 and didn't notice a huge difference, so I skipped it and went straight to my LSP. No befores this time. No tire shine this time - it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I couldn't remember exactly what order I took the pictures in, so I just put them in there however. Enjoy!

Interior
    Yes I know the footrest and pedals are dirty. Like I said, I had to cheat.

Exterior

The only boo-boo on this car is 2 tiny rust spots and this spot where my dad accidentally bumped somebody's car

That's not dirt you see in the fenderwells, that's almost 20 years of wear and tear where the black coating under there has worn off.

Exhaust tip polished with Mother's Chrome polish; not the best stuff, but it's shiny now!

The reflection on the trunk lid

Last edited by CieraSL; May 13, 2009, 09:00 PM.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: Detailed: 1990 Honda Accord (lots of pics)

awesome job, that car sure looks clean for being almost 20 years old!

Comment

Well done. Looks great!

Comment

excellent writeup and great process. The car looks great for a 1990 and I bet your parents love the result.

and best of all, you kept things simple
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

CieraSL, that HAS to be the nicest.....cleanest.....sharpest 20 y/o daily driver that I have EVER seen! Most Honda's here in my neck of the woods that are over 5 years old look as if they ran a few off road rallies with acouple of demotilion derbies thrown in for good measure.
          This car is proof positive of what keeping up on your cars paint and trim will do in the long run.
          The interior looks flawless!
          Are you sure that she didn't roll off the show room floor yesterday?

Keep up the excelent work!!
          For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

very tidy for the age, nice job

Comment

Looks Great!!
              Nice Job!!
              Keep Up the Great Work!!
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

Damn good job!! Looks great for its age.
                Headlights look good, did you do anything to them?
                Honda messed up with that color interior..just not my cup of tea...
                I would buy some truck bed liner and re-do those wheel wells, its cheap!
                Awesome job once again!!!
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
                  I would buy some truck bed liner and re-do those wheel wells, its cheap!
                  I'd do them myself, I'm just afraid of getting overspray all over everything. Any thoughts on the best way to do that?
                  Shane
                  1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

The car looks great for being almost 20 years old and a daily driver to boot. Great work. Way to go.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nice work!

I had the '89 Accord..EX(I think)Can't remember now.

It had a great color.Light silver/green metallic.It never showed the dirt!

The interior was brown.

Before that,I had the '82 Accord hatchback in red..I miss that car.

Comment

Looks new, the trim with UQW looks great

Comment

Looks great! Like new!

I feel you on the shade! Thats what its like for me here We have a garage but it is junked out and cant get a car in so I have to work outside for now

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');