• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a client's electricity. How much to offset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a client's electricity. How much to offset?

I know that the immediate and professional reply to my question is to buy a generator and bring my own power supply. In a perfect world where I was fully funded and equipped to do so, I certainly would. But...

I am doing this part time, on the side, as supplemental income and I will be working out of my trunk. As such, I will have to rely on my clients providing me with a power source to run my DA's. What I need to now is how much power, expressed in kilowatt hours, does a G110 consume per hour? I looked online, but I can't seem to find that particular spec.

Using this equation, I can formulate an appropriate offset to my clients' fee. Depending on how much power the G110 or other DA's use in an hour, I would probably offer a straight percentage offset (say 5% for a working number).

I know from my own limited experience that for one hour of machine polishing does not necessarily translate into one hour of continuous polishing. There are cycles of running the DA and stopping to wipe down a section and inspect the results. I personally estimate that for every hour of polishing, the DA is actually in use for maybe 30-40 minutes out of every hour. For you more experienced detailers, would you agree with this estimate?

Thanks for your input

Re: Using a client's electricity. How much to offset?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. You can state that your services are XX dollars and they supply the electricity and water

Otherwise you'd have to charge more anyways to cover the cost of a generator and water tank

Comment

I've been detailing out of a compact car without a generator for a long time without a single complaint. I explain that I do this because I have a legitimate passion for polishing and for a little extra money on the side, and they appreciate the results more than the rig used to get them.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
        I've been detailing out of a compact car without a generator for a long time without a single complaint. I explain that I do this because I have a legitimate passion for polishing and for a little extra money on the side, and they appreciate the results more than the rig used to get them.

I wouldn't worry about it.
        Your operation gives me confidence going into this, Mark. I appreciate your POV. I just figured if a client expresses concern about the amount of power being used, I could ease his or her concern by stating truthfully something like "the polisher uses no more electricity than a standard (pick one) light bulb, microwave oven, fridge, etc". If the client persists about the power used, then I would offset the cost of the detail by a certain percentage, unless some other discount had already been applied.

Comment

Yeah, don't sweat it.
          It costs more to bring along a fully equipped truck and all the associated equipment, so you would need to charge MORE if you didn't use their electricity.

Besides- nobody enjoys hearing a generator run for hours on end.
          Whenever possible, I would plug in to electricity just to keep the noise down the the customer and their neighbors.

Plus, it was easier to listen to the radio with the generator turned off!
          Kevin Brown
          NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

supposedly the g110 uses 4.2 amps. Thats 462 watts per hour I believe. Electricity is billed by KWH (1000 watts per hour). The KWH rate varies by area but it can be from 10-35 cents, cali folks get slammed.

So it costs less than a couple dollars and that would be running the machine a LONG time.

If a customer nitpicks over the electric you are using, you should probably pack up and leave because the nitpicking has only begun

Comment

Simply inform the customer at the start that you will be using his electricity. When I hire a man to pressure-wash my house, I understand that he will be using both my water and my electricity. No big deal.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by JuddGA View Post
                supposedly the g110 uses 4.2 amps. Thats 462 watts per hour I believe. Electricity is billed by KWH (1000 watts per hour). The KWH rate varies by area but it can be from 10-35 cents, cali folks get slammed.

So it costs less than a couple dollars and that would be running the machine a LONG time.

If a customer nitpicks over the electric you are using, you should probably pack up and leave because the nitpicking has only begun
                Thanks for the info and good point on the nitpicking. But those are the hard numbers I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                  Yeah, don't sweat it.
                  It costs more to bring along a fully equipped truck and all the associated equipment, so you would need to charge MORE if you didn't use their electricity.

Besides- nobody enjoys hearing a generator run for hours on end.
                  Whenever possible, I would plug in to electricity just to keep the noise down the the customer and their neighbors.

Plus, it was easier to listen to the radio with the generator turned off!
                  Thanks Kevin. Good to know that even the seasoned pros prefer not to use a generator.

Comment

Yea I agree with all the posts above me. When I go to a customers house or before when I'm talking to them I ask them if it is okay to use their water and electricity and I haven't had one person complain or say something about it.

If you think about it, electricity for running a DA for a couple hours can't be more than $3-4.

And like others said also, just make sure to put it in your description if you make a website or pamphlet or something.

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

If a client is asking for a price reduction on the basis of you using their electricity to operate the necessary tools for the job, never deal with that client again.

Maybe companies like PC should invent a cordless DA. Proprietary batteries are expensive and cost very little to produce.

Comment

Right on the Money Volts x amps = watts 4.2a x 110v = 462w

were talking penny's It cost Dollars to chase penny's

When you do your walk around with the owner B4 detailing point out all the imperfections and make it clear the ones that will still be ther after.

Under sell and over deliver !!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave the area cleaner than it was B4 you started.

Always ask the owner there exceptions before and set yours higher and you should never have a problem

Comment

I never concerned myself with this part. The customer wants me to come to his house. At his convenience. Like Al stated, to me it is a given that their electricity and water will be used.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I've never detailed at someone else's place of residence without using their water an electricity. Who could complain about a couple of dollars worth of electricity when their car looks so shiny and clean?
                            James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                            Calais Auto Detailing
                            CalaisDetails@aim.com
                            www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Great insight Judd.

I'll keep that one in mind.
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');