• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#82 before a Sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #82 before a Sealant?

Can #82 SFP be used as a final polish before a LSP Sealant with no cleaners such as Zaino, without having a bonding problem that would affect durability. Does #82 have any fillers/oils etc.. in it that would effect the bonding of the LSP sealant or is SFP considered an abrasive only Polish. I know products like Menzerna FP and Poorboys SSR1 are fine polishs that are abrasive only and can be used right before a sealant and I was wondering if Meguiars has a similar type product.
    1996 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L AWD ~ Ivory Pearl Metallic

Re: #82 before a Sealant?

Originally posted by SR77
    Can #82 SFP be used as a final polish before a LSP Sealant with no cleaners such as Zaino, without having a bonding problem that would affect durability. Does #82 have any fillers/oils etc.. in it that would effect the bonding of the LSP sealant or is SFP considered an abrasive only Polish.
    Hi SR77,

All Meguiar's polishes, both cleaner/polishes and pure polishes contain Meguiar's Trade Secret polishing oils. These oils lubricate the surface to prevent scouring and they add clarity, depth, reflection and gloss. Meguiar's polishes have been around for over 100 years now and are famous for creating show car results.

Meguiar's chemists formulate all the paint care products to work together as such our waxes can be applied directly over our polishes with no fall off in performance.

Here's a related answer I posted to a similar question about applying a paint sealant after using a quick detailer.

Quick Detailer Burning Question

A quality wax, whether it is a natural, synthetic, or blended product will adhere to a properly prepared finish. I think to the degree that any product already on the surface would interfere with this adhering process would be nominal to the point that no one could tell the difference in a side-by-side test of a chemically cleaned surface versus a surface as you describe.

Would there be a difference? Maybe, but not enough to make a difference. This entire subject is really focusing on the minors, not the majors. Again, this applies to a quality product. The quality of some products, (read as the technology behind them), handicap them from adhering really well in the first place.

I've been detailing cars for over 15 years, (longer than some, not as long as others), I prefer to stay within one company's line of products because the chemist who make the products understand the chemistry involved with the formulas and can therefore insure compatibility. I'm a real system kind of guy, so that's what works for me.

I think a quality wax is going to adhere to the paint as long as the paint is properly prepared. If wiping the finish down with a quick detailer is part of the process, then the product should adhere.

I know products like Menzerna FP and Poorboys SSR1 are fine polishes that are abrasive only and can be used right before a sealant and I was wondering if Meguiar's has a similar type product.
    No. The entire point of polishing paint is to make it look good and the oils Meguiar's uses in their polish formulas are an integral part of making any finish look it's best.

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: #82 before a Sealant?

Can #82 SFP be used as a final polish before a LSP Sealant with no cleaners such as Zaino, without having a bonding problem that would affect durability. Does #82 have any fillers/oils etc.. in it that would effect the bonding of the LSP sealant or is SFP considered an abrasive only Polish. I know products like Menzerna FP and Poorboys SSR1 are fine polishs that are abrasive only and can be used right before a sealant and I was wondering if Meguiars has a similar type product.
      If you want to apply Zaino per the directions, you need to wash the car after polishing.

I am sure that Menzerna and Poorboys are not pure abrasives. You don't just pour out abrasive on a pad. There has to be some kind of carrier for it (other than the bottle ). And even with them, to follow the Zaino procedure, you'd still need to wash your car.

It may still work fine if you don't, and the same is true of #82. Like Mike said, I kind of doubt you'd notice much difference, except that not washig the polish off may leave the paint looking glossier. If you apply it one way and a product lasts x weeks, how do you say it would have lasted longer or shorter if applied another way?

Since you mention LSP sealants with no cleaners, I've used products like Blackfire and Wolfgang over polishes like #82 and #80 with no apparent issues other than really nice looking paint. IMO, #82 and #80 leave the finish looking really nice, so I don't want to remove that.
      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I know Menzerna and Poorboys are marketed as being Cleaners/Polishes that contain not oil, filler etc.. which enable then to be used before a sealant. I was just wondering if meguiars has a polish like these. Aurora40, you make so good points, so i think I will try Zaino right after #82 and see whats happen. I know I have plenty of #82 to use up. Maybe someone else can chime in here that has used #82, #80 or any other Meguiars polish right before Zaino that can tell use how the durability was. Thanks again for the help.
        1996 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L AWD ~ Ivory Pearl Metallic

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');