• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes CC failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes CC failure?

The top of my cab is starting to show the dreaded signs of CC failure. And the hood has what could be the same though it's so small, I'm not sure yet. Top of cab has a few "crows feet" cracks. It's not that I don't take care of my truck. Is it caused by inferior CC, sun, weather....or a combination. It's a 99 and sits outside 24/7. Iv'e heard some Fords just have poor quality paint jobs and CC failure will eventually happen...
    Black......the ONLY color!

Re: What causes CC failure?

Guess I shoulda searched a bit more......http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20411
    Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Clear Coat Failure

The clear coat is the final original equipment manufacturers coating applied to a vehicle to protect the (base) colour coat while providing both depth and a durable, glossy appearance, originally designed to protect metallic paints, but is now applied to all colours. Any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be transparent otherwise both the paint colour and its depth of shine will be muted. It’s also worth noting that the UV absorbents migrate to the top of the clear coat, so one you remove too much clear 0.5 mil (12µ) you'll have no paint ultra violet protection other than what you apply with a LSP

Ultra violet radiation is the prime cause of clear coat failure

1. (UV-A) represents part of the ultra violet solar spectrum (approximately 55%-60%). The remaining heat source comes from visible and ultra violet light Infrared radiation that transmits heat that will cause oxidation by drying out materials, like the paint (binder) resin system, the plasticizers in vinyl, moisture evaporation of leather and the elasticity of rubber causing these materials to dry out and become brittle and compromise their structural integrity

2. (UV- B) radiation is known to contribute to the chemical modification, photosensitise (fading) of exposed paint surfaces resulting in loss of gloss, colour change, chalking, flaking and along with infrared heat radiation (UV-A) eventually the destruction of the clear coat paint film.
      First, the paint take on a cloudy appearance, then as time progresses, we observe small hairline marks start to appear; that's the clear breaking down.

Be careful what you use on a paint surface; a polyurethane paint (high solid / low solvent) clear coat can absorb moisture; as water molecules are smaller than a cross-linked clear coats molecule. So be careful of the contents in car wash concentrates, sealant and waxes (i.e. low pH acids, high pH alkaline, Dimethylsilicone (DMS) or solvents that contain butyl, heptanes, and xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents. (See also MSDS, Potential of Hydrogen (pH)
      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Here is a really old post but has amazing information
        Examples of clearcoat failure and an explanation of possible causes

You should read post #1 and #9

Comment

happening to my 07 civic... crows feet on the hood and some cracking and delamination on teh roof and trunk in small areas..a t first i thought they were rock chips but it didn't look like it.. and on the rear of my car???? anyways, it *****..

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');