• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the home "oil" changers - Mobil 1 0W20 - Better running motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the home "oil" changers - Mobil 1 0W20 - Better running motor?

For the "oil" guys and gals on here I just did my first oil change on my truck... I went from the factory fill of 5W-20 Motorcraft and the Motorcraft filter to Mobil 1 0W-20 and Motorcraft filter... My truck is much smoother running and idles perfect and quiet! Is that possible? I would have never believed it if it didn't happen.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

0W-20 is great for any 5W-20 application, in fact probably better. My vehicle is one of very few that actually calls for 0W-20 and I'm on my second oil change with it. It does run noticably smoother than with the conventional oil I had to buy from the dealership (0W-20 isn't exactly readily available). Before with the Honda oil it would actually just barely click on a cold start after it had sat for a while, but with the mobil it doesn't. So it actually is staying lubed up in the head longer after being shut off. It's good stuff.

Out of curiosity, where did you find it? Walmart? I had to search for it when it was first being distributed a few months ago. I ended up driving like 20 miles to 3 different wal marts before finding one that had one case left. I've also seen it at Pep Boys, but no other place locally has it, and I've looked at practically almost every local checkers.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

It probably runs smoother because the oil isnt as thick and allows the parts to move more freely, however, I dont think you want 0W20 in your car in the summer time whereas its so thin and wont protect as well. I only use Mobil 1 also and have had nothing but good luck with the 5w30 year round.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick
        ...Out of curiosity, where did you find it? Walmart? I had to search for it when it was first being distributed a few months ago. I ended up driving like 20 miles to 3 different wal marts before finding one that had one case left. I've also seen it at Pep Boys, but no other place locally has it, and I've looked at practically almost every local checkers.
        I have looked everywhere! Walmart (wish they had it, Mobil 1 is cheap at good ole walmart, I asked about it and they didn't even know it existed), Napa (had it but it had to be ordered at 4.99 a quart), Carquest, Autozone (never heard of it) and so on finally found it on the shelf at Advance Auto Parts (old Western Auto) for 4.79 a quart.

It probably runs smoother because the oil isnt as thick and allows the parts to move more freely, however, I dont think you want 0W20 in your car in the summer time whereas its so thin and wont protect as well. I only use Mobil 1 also and have had nothing but good luck with the 5w30 year round.
        You know I was thinking the same thing but..... The thing is Ford now calls for 5W20 in their 5.4L motors not to sure what other ford motors need 5w20, Ford claims the bearing tolorances are closer now than in previous years!?!?
        Brandon

Comment

I've ran 0W-20 for two summers here where it can get as hot as 120 in the shade, and much much much hotter in the sun. Never once did the car run rought or anything. Since the factory fill was 5W-20 (on the Ford) the oil will only be a bit thinner at start up, same weight once up to temp. It actually says on the bottle that you can use it anywhere 5W-20 is called for, and it exceeds the protection ratings needed by far (I looked in to this before it ever touched my engine). In fact in my owners manual it shows the graph of temperatures your supposed to be able to use alternate weight oils if 0W-20 isn't available and 0W-20 has a much wider range than the others it lists.

Then again, my engine was designed for 0W-20.
          Later,
          Ricky

Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

I would pretty much stick with what the car calls for.
            I know one thing, the Hummers over in Iraq would fill up the crankcase with sand in short order, im pretty sure all they used was Synthetic oil and there didnt seem to be much in the way of engine failures due to heat / sand / stress...mostly just RPG's.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
              [B]I have looked everywhere! Walmart (wish they had it, Mobil 1 is cheap at good ole walmart, I asked about it and they didn't even know it existed), Napa (had it but it had to be ordered at 4.99 a quart), Carquest, Autozone (never heard of it) and so on finally found it on the shelf at Advance Auto Parts (old Western Auto) for 4.79 a quart.
              Keep checking your walmarts. Some stock it. I went to the closest one first, they didn't have it. The second closest was a Walmart Supercenter, they didn't have it (though they did devote about twice the shelve realestate to oil and filters). The 3rd farthest was in a somewhat bad area, but they had it. They're putting in another Walmart Supercenter even closer to me now so I'm hoping they open it and carry it before I need to change my oil again.

BTW, it was a little bit cheaper at Walmart, but not by much. If I recall a case was a little over $30.

I also had an oil analysis done with the first change to the Mobil oil and it came back showing very minimal wear with mostly below average ppm's of any given element in the oil.
              Later,
              Ricky

Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by Rick
                Keep checking your walmarts. Some stock it. I went to the closest one first, they didn't have it. The second closest was a Walmart Supercenter, they didn't have it (though they did devote about twice the shelve realestate to oil and filters). The 3rd farthest was in a somewhat bad area, but they had it. They're putting in another Walmart Supercenter even closer to me now so I'm hoping they open it and carry it before I need to change my oil again.

BTW, it was a little bit cheaper at Walmart, but not by much. If I recall a case was a little over $30.

I also had an oil analysis done with the first change to the Mobil oil and it came back showing very minimal wear with mostly below average ppm's of any given element in the oil.
                I will just keep checking my walmarts we have 3 so I hope one picks it up soon.

Its good to hear that the oil analysis came back good, I think I am going to do one when I change my oil next time.

Thanks for the replies
                Brandon

Comment

Becouse this a HUGE topic I can not post a good responce here PLEASE go here and do some reading hope I can save you a buck or two.

or do a serch on
                  More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Motor Oil

Rich
                  Rich
                  If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
                  DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Hey beercan,

excellent article you posted If also you need more info on oil, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com this site and there forum will help gain excellent knowledge to great lengths to know what you need to know about oil.

Me personally, I use M1 5w30 SuperSyn and a M1 filter. I've been floating the idea of going with bypass filtration. For what I use my truck for though, I'm not sure if it's really worth it, just a thought,,,,,,,deadman98

Comment

One thing I have learned no matter what oil you use Do Not Change Brands like AMSOIL, Castrol, GTX,Chevron Supreme just to name a few. Each manufacture uses additives differently and the residual of the old oil "could" counter react with the additives in the new oil diminishing the life of the new oil "sometimes" with devastating results. If you do change Brands Do not run them for an extended period of time.

This happened to me personally on a car I wish I still owned I got what ever oil and filter was on sale,"I am the KING of cheep" the last oil to go in to it was "slick-50" and I smoked the motor. (Blaming slick-50) After having the motor tore down the slick 50 representative showed me the analysis report results and sludge inside the motor from the additives combating each over a long period of time, looked like someone pored tar in side the motor and it built up on the inside of the block and valve covers. cost me the mechanics time to tare down the motor shipping to and from for the oil analysis plus the parts to have the motor rebuild.

Rich
                      Rich
                      DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

I use only Mobil 1 in all three of my cars. In fact, on the corvette's oil cap it says only use Mobil 1 5W30. I think it is an excellent oil. You can get it at Walmart in a 5 qt. container for $23. The only bad thing is my Tundra takes 7 qts. I hate that about the Toyota V8. That is the only thing I hate about the truck. I have always owned Chevy and went with Toyota back in '01...Now I am SOLD!

Comment

I use only Mobil 1 in my car. This same topic was recently debated on another forum and many of the users of 0w30 (as opposed to our normal 5w30) report better gas mileage, I hear it refered to as a "light sewing machine oil" but I cant imagine what the 0w20 must "feel" like.

WalMart totally *****, yeah you know it(same here too), you could ask them to order it but that will do about as good as askin a brick wall! Try your local parts store. I recently was searching for Mobil 1 ATF at AutoZone, they said they had none but could get me as many as 14 quarts by noon the next day! So Id say call Auto Zone for your Mobil 1 0w needs(as well as M1 ATF).

On a somewhat related note my Suzuki dealer is also a Jeep dealer, the mechanics are all F-150, Jeep and other big F'n truck drivers, they know squat about fuel efficient machines and how the little things add upto improved(or diminished) MPG. Anyways they put 10w 40 oil in my car!!! Even though it says 5w30 on the cap! I took a royal beating for the next 3000 miles! I normally average high 20s in MPG where I was lucky if I got 20 MPG period! Needless to say I bring my own oil now! But cant bring myself to explain why I wanna put this light sewing machine oil in my car to an "experienced" mechanic. I totally think they would void my warranty just for lack of knowledge.
                          http://aeriostyle.com/images/uploads/ShortBuSX.gif
                          Is there any way I can use my gif as a signature? Or am I missin it?

Comment

Originally posted by Short BuSX
                            I use only Mobil 1 in my car. This same topic was recently debated on another forum and many of the users of 0w30 (as opposed to our normal 5w30) report better gas mileage, I hear it refered to as a "light sewing machine oil" but I cant imagine what the 0w20 must "feel" like.

WalMart totally *****, yeah you know it(same here too), you could ask them to order it but that will do about as good as askin a brick wall! Try your local parts store. I recently was searching for Mobil 1 ATF at AutoZone, they said they had none but could get me as many as 14 quarts by noon the next day! So Id say call Auto Zone for your Mobil 1 0w needs(as well as M1 ATF).

On a somewhat related note my Suzuki dealer is also a Jeep dealer, the mechanics are all F-150, Jeep and other big F'n truck drivers, they know squat about fuel efficient machines and how the little things add upto improved(or diminished) MPG. Anyways they put 10w 40 oil in my car!!! Even though it says 5w30 on the cap! I took a royal beating for the next 3000 miles! I normally average high 20s in MPG where I was lucky if I got 20 MPG period! Needless to say I bring my own oil now! But cant bring myself to explain why I wanna put this light sewing machine oil in my car to an "experienced" mechanic. I totally think they would void my warranty just for lack of knowledge.
                            The 0W20 is some runny stuff! When I changed my oil I drove to work about 2 miles and drained the oil (Morcraft 5W20) with the engine warm and the oil ran out like water! With the change to Mobil 1 0W20 - I hope I get a slight increase in gas milage every little bit helps!
                            Brandon

Comment

I'm still sitting on a warrantee 24.000 and the truck requires 5w-30, so right now it's 5w30 mobile 1.
                              I am looking it to the AMSOIL but the last time I checked on the price AMSOIL was 6$ a qt mobile 1 is much cheaper. I have a 4.7 that gets 15.4 to 16.2 depending on wether I'm kick'n some rice burners but off the line, Poor little guy sits there spinning his tires , all I do is flip a switch and it's in 4x4 and launch it like theres now tomorrow.Tee Hee. That don't happen to often though with fuel prices over $1.60 here and that's the cheep stuff It's most likely going go higher.
                              Rich
                              DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');