• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claying: Soapy water vs. Spray Detailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying: Soapy water vs. Spray Detailer

I did search and couldnt find any information but wanted to ask what most of you guys use with claying. I have had better luck using Gold Class and soapy water vs. Spray Detailer. I use lots and lots of soapy water and at the beginning there is too much lubricity (is that even a word) but I keep going over the same spot until I can feel the clay bar working. What do you guys use for a lubricant?

Hey,

Are you re-washing after claying to remove the soap residue? What about water spotting?

I use Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection as it provides the extra lubricity required while claying. The good part about using a QD for claying (as recommended by Meguiar's) is that you can clay the section and then wipe it dry. There is no need to re-wash the paint to remove residue.

Now with the above said, some people do use the soapy wash water to clay. If one does, you need to make sure the water solution is not drying too fast creating water spots. Also the clay must not touch any dirt in the wash bucket or marring will occur.

Just IMHO.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim for the reply. I am doing an extra wash after claying.. I guess thats the downside but I find it to be better than the QD and Mist/Wipe Spray and cheaper too I havent tried Final Inspection... I ask if thats better than the soapy water? Does it take longer?

Comment

Hey,

I find using the Final Inspection easier to use when claying as I can take my time working on one panel, and not having to worry about the lubricant drying too soon. Also, the lubricity of the QD is more than the most carwash soaps. If you like to use carwash soap, I would suggest Meguiar's #00 Hi-Tech Wash as it has ultra lubricity for a soap. I actually use it for my wet sanding lubricant.

Cheers!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: Claying: Soapy water vs. Spray Detailer

Originally posted by gtp
          I use lots and lots of soapy water and at the beginning there is too much lubricity (is that even a word)
          It may not be in any dictionary, but here at Meguiar's we've been using the lubricity for years if not decades...

but I keep going over the same spot until I can feel the clay bar working. What do you guys use for a lubricant?
          For the reasons Tim pointed out, mist and wipe product work best and save you time as you do not have to deal with dried and drying soap film and if you wipe the spray lubricant off as you move around the car you do not have to re-wash the car.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just throwing my two cents here.

When I first joined this site a couple of months ago, I never heard of clay and had my doubts about it at first. I also had these visions of claying the surface of your paint and having this thick scum from the clay laying on the surface of the paint. I think I even posted something asking about washing after claying because this gritty mass that remained from the claying process. The responses were that I didn’t need to and still, I was perplexed but had to believe somewhat the responses.

I used clay for the first time maybe a month ago and used the QD with it. It took me only a minute to realize that once you work an area with the QD and Clay, you wipe it off and it comes clean. There is no residue because the clay is not like the clay we used in school in pottery class. The contaminants that are bonded to the paint stick to the clay so again, there is no real residue except the QD that was used to lubricate.

I think Meg’s recommends the QD and if that’s what they say, I will do it that way. However, if I was in a pinch and didn’t have QD around, I would use the soap solution. But this would only be under an unusual situation where I would do this.

Just remember that you’re not using a whole bottle of QD to clay. I couldn’t tell you how much you will end up using but it also depends on what your claying. If I had to guess, maybe about 8 oz to do the hood, roof and trunk on my car is about what I used.
            Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

FWIW, I like to use 25% Final Detail (Discontinued, but still might be in stock in some PBE stores) mixed with 75% distilled water as a clay lube.

I was using it at a 50/50 mix at first, but the FD seemed rather slick, even at that ratio!

To make matters easier for me, I have a premixed solution stored in a gallon jug.
              r. b.

Comment

I clay when I wash but I use extra soap, and only do this when I am going to be doing a full detail and this helps save alittle time.
                2019 GMC Sierra
                1500 AT4

Comment

Here is what I do.

I pick up a package of Quik Clay which comes with 16 oz bottle of Quik Detailer.

I also buy a 32oz bottle at the same time.

Then I take the QD from the clay and put it in my car with a MF for use removing bird droppings... and other stuff

I break the clean into 3 pieces put the remaining 2 into swandwitch bags. Take the one I am going to use and make a pancake looking thing out of it.

Taking the 32 oz bottle, I spray the clay and then a section of the car and begin work with a Microfiber handy. I clay an area and spray more QD as I go. Every few minutes I wipe then re-shape/smash the clay, spray the clay and the car and go again.

I continue till I finish the car then I discard the clay and do my final wipe. If I missed any of the mess I spray it with QD wait a few seconds then wipe it.

The 16oz bottle is big enough to do the car, but no way is it big enough for 3 cars. I decided to just use a 32 oz bottle and keep the 16oz in my car.

Comment

We clay 2-3 to as many as 6-7 cars a day. I buy clay by the case every 3 weeks to a month. We always use water with a few drops of soap in it an dit works great.
                    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I was told by someone at Meguiar's that the soap will brake down the clay. At the end the clay will not be perform anymore and gets sticky.
                      So I never use soap.

Greetz,
                      Brad
                      NXToholic

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');